THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    I would recommend that you..............
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I would recommend that you..............
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Artificial sweetner if you are accustomed to that at home. It will not always be available in camp.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
A roll of duct tape... from covering blisters to gun repair and worth it's weight in gold when you need it.

Sorry... saw Scott already mentioned so +2 from me!

Will also add a big + 2 for Cipro!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 404WJJeffery
posted Hide Post
1. antibiotics- take them proactively

2. a little ditty bag to carry ammo, flashlight, sunscreen etc in the truck- keeps it in one place and out of pockets

3. pack light. 1 jacket, 2 shirts, one pair long pants, one pair shorts 3 pair socks, 3 air undergarments, boots, shoes on plane, flip flops, one t shirt, track suit pants for around the fire after shower, one hat and that is all for clothing. Camp staff will wash clothes daily, everyone brings way too much clothing.

"Are you gonna pull them pistols,...or whistle Dixie??"

Josie Wales 1866

Posts: 1489 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chris Lozano
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwanamrm:
A roll of duct tape... from covering blisters to gun repair and worth it's weight in gold when you need it.

A roll of duct tape and some zip ties have saved my trip a few times.

Posts: 759 | Location: Michigan USA | Registered: 27 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can just see it now.
Man ask his wife to help him pack, "honey hand me those condoms next, no baby they're for my rifle not my pistol, OK sweety I won't take them, but if my gun gets rusty, it's your fault!"

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the most important tip is one on attitude. Safari is an adventure in a third world country, stuff can, and probably will, go wrong or worse. Roll with the punches and have a good time....

troy

Birmingham, Al

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ghostbird:
quote:
Originally posted by fujotupu:
If you encounter those days of unexpected drizzle during your hunt a pack of condoms can be very useful as scope covers, no fitting instructions required Big Grin - rudimentary but work a treat and cost almost nothing; pocket camera recommended.

Try explaining to your wife why you are packing condoms for your safari !

If she's a blonde you'll get away with it Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:
quote:
If you encounter those days of unexpected drizzle during your hunt a pack of condoms can be very useful as scope covers, no fitting instructions required Big Grin - rudimentary but work a treat and cost almost nothing; pocket camera recommended.

Fujo, brother! You need to get out a bit more often. Its 2012 now, like 505 says - they make scope covers, etc.

Guess we know what you're thinking about in the bush? Cool

I know Aaron - we're not that backward .... be surprised though how many times them balloons have saved the day, the scope cover is in the truck which is an hour away or it got left behind in camp.... Also useful as a tourniquet.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I totally agree that the most important to bring is a pair of high quality light boots that you have used for some time both in cold and hot weather.

I have a pair of boots that I just love.
I bought them on plain luck on a sale and they are by far the best hunting boots I have ever owned.
I can walk for hours and hours, day after day in very rough terrain and never get an issue with my feet at all.
Blisters or other problems with your feet can very quickly ruin your hunt.

Everything else you can buy, rent or borrow at the airport or at the camp if your things get lost.
I never put my hunting boots in the checked in luggage.

Posts: 461 | Location: Norway | Registered: 11 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
1. Once you figure out your budget, set aside another $1000 or so....the "extra" will not be "extra" by the time you are done! Big Grin

2. Leave all your worries at home, they have no place on safari.

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When in Joberg Airport....

Make sure you pick up some cuban cigars at the duty free for the celebration after you shoot jaws.

Posts: 389 | Location: Montana, USA | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by safari-lawyer:
Artificial sweetner if you are accustomed to that at home. It will not always be available in camp.

This is a good one. I took splenda on my elephant hunt in the Caprivi. It was nice for my coffee.

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1298 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Fujo, brother! You need to get out a bit more often. Its 2012 now, like 505 says - they make scope covers, etc.

I know Aaron - we're not that backward .... be surprised though how many times them balloons have saved the day, the scope cover is in the truck which is an hour away or it got left behind in camp.... Also useful as a tourniquet.

Fujo - If you're clients are using the "Butler Creek" scope covers, they can/will be there all the time. They just need the right equipment.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Lozano:
quote:
Originally posted by bwanamrm:
A roll of duct tape...

A roll of duct tape and some zip ties have saved my trip a few times.

It's much easier to wrap the duct tape lengthwise around a business card. A quarter inch of tape wrapped in this way is a LOT more than you will ever need and it will fit in the credit card slot of your wallet. Much more convenient than a big bulky roll that you either won't carry or that takes up too much space.

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

bush being the key word here.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13400 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Tap on lights came in very handy on our last trip. We had our regular torches but these we left at the bedside. An easy reach over and a tap and instant light enough to find your way to the head without stepping on a creapy crawly. Being flat they won't roll off a table when you are fishing for them in the dark. Battery life is excellent and they are very bright. Dirt cheap also.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blacktailer:
GOOD bug repellent.

Avon Skin-so-soft "Expedition" bug repellent if I can make a recommendation. Didn't get bit wearing that, did get bit when I wore deet.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote