Find
Notify
Tools

Hunting with an umbrella ????
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Gerhard.Delport
posted
I am watching "Under Wild Skies Africa" and they just used an umbrella to stalk over open plains in the Okovango Delta.

Johan Calitz and Tony makes and umbrella in a mobile blind....

Who has done this before???

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
Capture Your African Moments
Hunting Outfitter (MP&LP)
Proffesional Hunter (MP&LP)
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have seen this being done in Tanzania several times.

It does work.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67051 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
It's a hell of an old trick and works well enough. I've used 'em occasionally when hunting Buffalo........ the hardest thing about it is trying not to laugh at the ludicrousness of the situation! rotflmo

Administrator
posted Hide Post
The real fun happens when one wears a ghilly suit, and goes close to a herd of buffalo in the open!

As soon as you get very close, and they feel something is amiss, they all get closer to the tree!?

Having a herd of buffalo trying to hide behind you is NOT funny clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67051 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gerhard.Delport
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
The real fun happens when one wears a ghilly suit, and goes close to a herd of buffalo in the open!

As soon as you get very close, and they feel something is amiss, they all get closer to the tree!?

Having a herd of buffalo trying to hide behind you is NOT funny clap

jumping

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
Capture Your African Moments
Hunting Outfitter (MP&LP)
Proffesional Hunter (MP&LP)
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i wanted to try that just could not find a source for the umbrella

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WE USED PALM LIMBS ONE TIME. WORKS LIKE A CHARM.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DU DIAMOND SPONSOR IN PERPETUITY
DALLAS SAFARI CLUB LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bryan Chick:
i wanted to try that just could not find a source for the umbrella

Bryan,

didn't you know they grow wild on umbrella thorns?

rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
some of us southern boys ise camo pattern umbrella's as ground blinds have been doing it for yrs.

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
It definitely worked well for Tony Makris on cape buffalo and I've seen it used for antelope (Western US) as well. Where do you pick up camo pattern umbrellas?

One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
I also saw that Under Wild Skies show, but it was quite some time ago. Anything to break or hide the human form helps.

I have broken off bushes or pieces of sagebrush and held them in front of me while crawling for a closer shot.

Last winter I was in Denver, and bought a "golf size" large camo umbrella at the Bass Pro store there. I have also seen them on evil-bay.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1632 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
It is true that any dark or greenish piece of cloth or mesh that will break up or blur the human outline will work.

By stalking behind such a screen, we have duckwalked to within less than ten yards of a herd of 300 Cape buffalo in Tanzania.

We filmed the entire herd as they passed us by at spitting distance. The wind was good, and they never suspected that we were there.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13404 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve: Next time you pass one pick it for me and post it to me.
Ha! Ha!

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Just picked up both the camo and the black umbrellas at Bass Pro this afternoon. I plan on seriously trying them out. I've seen them work on two hunting shows now, and a turkey hunter also stated that he uses the camo one while turkey hunting as well. Can't hurt to try it!

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Umbrella stalking transcends continents, apparently...

This pic I took of a bloke happily hunting along a few years ago deep in the woods of Maine. It was raining, after all, and made perfect sense... Smiler

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Old George Hoffman used a pair of sticks with reeds attached to them so that when they were spread open, they made a tri-angle like an up side down fan, with a 4" hole at eyelever to look through. You could advance on buffalo in open grass with this littls gadgitn and when you got in range, the "V" at the top was to rest your rifle over. Worked like a charm! thumb

George had a lot of little tricks like that in his medicine bag! I sure miss that old codger! CRYBABY

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We have big green umbrellas we use all the time. Both for rain and making the sneak on critters out in the open. I personally saw a big giant forest hog taken this way. The Umbrellas have Ethiopian Rift Valley Safaris in white script on them but evidently the Giant Forest Hog couldn't read. Big Grin

Rich Elliott

Rich Elliott
Ethiopian Rift Valley Safaris

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mac,
The first time Geo. ever tried that was with me on TZ safari 1992. They took photos of us. It was me, Geo and the tracker all trying to stay behind the A frame long grass shield. It was a Larry, Curly and Moe situation but it worked like a charm. The buffalo is the one you see hanging in my office.
He said he had always wanted to try that but he needed someone as goofy as me to try it with.
I miss him too and Thanksgiving is coming up. We always hunted my Chimney Hill ranch at Thanksgiving for the dangerous Whitetail.

You can borrow money but you can not borrow time. Go hunting with your family.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
At the shot show this last year there was a company that had something they called the shadow shield. It was basically a big plastic mirror that was held so that it angled slightly toward the ground and reflected that image toward the animal your were stalking. Not sure how bright that would be stalking in on buff as another heard?????

http://www.theshadowshield.com/sport.phtml

Yes it's cocked, and it has bullets too!!!

Posts: 582 | Location: Apache Junction, AZ | Registered: 08 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have stalked buffalo in Zim behind a couple of black umbrellas. One for me and one for the PH. It did seem a bit comical, but worked like a charm as the buff just stood there. Don't undersell this tactic.
Bill

Posts: 1088 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Harry:
Mac,
I miss him too and Thanksgiving is coming up. We always hunted my Chimney Hill ranch at Thanksgiving for the dangerous Whitetail.

Yes Mims,it certainly must seem something is missing down at the Chimney, to share the turkey & dressing! This thread reminded me of him, and I re-read his book again just for old times' sake!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will send any one who want one or three camo umbrella's for $20 +shipping and handeling. bdu camo pattern

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
correction one for $20 not three