Find
Notify
Tools

Head stamp question
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Ivan
posted
I know this whole head stamp matching the gun thing has been debated to death, but I have a case that is slightly diffrent from the others (i.e 338-06 stamped 06 etc). I have a 35 Brown/Whelen that I plan on taking with me to RSA next summer, all my brass is stamped 35 Whelen. Do you think It will cause any problems? I figure I can BS the customs agents and just tell them that Brown is Whelens first name and that they don't stamp full names on the brass. I can't imagine that they have ever seen much less heard of a Brown/Whelen...

Posts: 576 | Location: The Green Fields | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used a 35 Whelen in South Africa 2 weeks ago. My firearms permit was filled in simply as "35" for caliber of rifle and "300" for the 300 WSM I brought as well. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Posts: 1473 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No one there in RSA at entry points, nor most probably anywhere, and only a minute few here, if any, will know the difference between a 35 Brown Whelen case and a 35 Whelen case by visual inspection. Most gun cranks wouldnt know the difference or for that matter, ever heard of one. You will not have a problem whatsoever. Best wishes and good hunting.

Posts: 119 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 23 December 2003Reply With Quote