THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Serengeti enigma: Mysterious creature discovered in the wild

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Serengeti enigma: Mysterious creature discovered in the wild
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Alan Bunn
posted
Serengeti enigma: Mysterious creature discovered in the wild

A mysterious animal has been reported in the Serengeti National Park and so far the strange creature is baffling experts regarding its origin or species.

The mammal was first seen in Serengeti plains last October by tourists who tried to take its picture but without much success and as news spread, more visitors went round looking for the animal and eventually a frequent traveler, Mr Robert Berntsen managed to capture a shot of what is now known as the 'Serengeti enigma.'

The Communications Manager for the Tanzania National Parks Authority, Mr Paschal Shelutete admitted it was strange news and rather peculiar development in one of the country's largest parks. He however promised to have zoological and wildlife experts go round in search of the 'Serengeti Enigma' and examine the creature.

"We will then decide whether it is indeed a new species of animal or a case of biological mutation and deformation," he stated.

The creature can easily pass like a gazelle, but on closer inspection it spots a much larger, camel-shaped head which is covered in thick, hairy-fur like a lion's mane. From a far the 'Enigma' also resembles a lone wildebeest in fact Mr Paolo Torchio who was the first person to spot the creature almost dismissed it as a young ungulate left behind by its herd.

The ongoing debate among people who have so far managed to have a glimpse of the 'Serengeti Enigma,' or the only photos taken by the traveler, Mr Berntsen is whether it is a new species of gazelle, a hybrid of some kind (precisely crossing between a wildbeest and the former or maybe a mutation.

While observers haven't been able to reach any conclusion and local expert are yet to start studying the mysterious animal, the TANAPA communications officer, Mr Shelutete believes the discovery will soon be driving packs of tourists, researchers and other curious observers to Tanzania to witness the discovery.

When Mr Berntsen took its picture, last November the animal was near a group of Thomson's gazelles, though on the "outskirts". After discussion, Berntsen and his traveling partners decided that most likely the animal was a "mutant Thomson's gazelle, probably a young male." However, he says "this explanation was just concluded on what we had seen while eliminating other explanations we found less probable."

Berntsen claims to have studied the strange creature for about ten minutes and managed to describe its unique features.

He observed that the 'enigma's' head had a lot of dark long hair which obstructed the true form of its head and mouth.

Cheers,

~ Alan

Life Member NRA
Life Member SCI

email: editorusa(@)africanxmag(dot)com

African Expedition Magazine: http://www.africanxmag.com/

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/alan.p.bunn

Twitter: http://twitter.com/EditorUSA

Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. ~Keller

To be persuasive we must be believable; to be believable we must be credible; to be credible we must be truthful. ~ Murrow

Posts: 1112 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 09 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
I know this is going to end lion hunting, but here we go...

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Looks like somebody's Airedale got loose and had it's way with a Thompson's

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnHunt
posted Hide Post
A Rastafarian Gazelle. Big Grin

Posts: 1678 | Registered: 16 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm sure Shakari.com will have the answer!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There's a few weird things happening over there. Photographed this bloke in Etosha NP.

Someone forgot the stencil.

Posts: 351 | Location: Junee, NSW, Australia | Registered: 13 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
I know what that is, that there is a horned schnauzer. Wink

... or maybe a woolly gazelle left over from the ice age?

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hypertrichosis.

Happens in humans too, fellows with this form of extreme body and facial hair often end up as circus attractions.

Philip

Posts: 1252 | Location: East Africa | Registered: 14 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Neil-PH
posted Hide Post
What kind of mane will the Thommy have when 6 years old ????

Posts: 536 | Location: The Plains of Africa | Registered: 07 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Neil-PH:
What kind of mane will the Thommy have when 6 years old ????

the mane looks pretty good...but check the nose must be black before shooting rotflmo

Posts: 353 | Location: tanzania, east africa | Registered: 27 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Algore will tell you all it is caused by global warming.

~Ann

Posts: 19563 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Obviously some Jamaican Rasta’s were making a pilgrimage to Ethiopia and one of their goats got lost.

I would suspect he can easily be called by loudly playing "Kingston Town" on a large boom box while disguising your scent by burning a large quantity of duga.
sofa

An old man sleeps with his conscience, a young man sleeps with his dreams.

Posts: 777 | Location: United States | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Looks like a Nandi Bear to me. Cool

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13667 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
its an obongo - close relation to the obama

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Sevens, looks surprisingly like a Schnauzer!

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I bet it has a pituitary adenoma.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37897 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Finally, an authoritative response. Thanks LE.

Nature does produce some strange anomlies sometimes. I saw not one, but two Appaloosa mule deer many years ago.

Now, what is adenoma?

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brice:
Finally, an authoritative response. Thanks LE.

Nature does produce some strange anomlies sometimes. I saw not one, but two Appaloosa mule deer many years ago.

Now, what is adenoma?

A hormone secreting tumor of the pituitary gland which is located in the brain.

Actually quite common in horses. Most common clinical sign in horses is hirsutism (the growth of hair in places where hair does not usually grow...or...in this case the growth of long hair where long hair usually does not grow...which is usually the case in equine cases).

Other rule/outs would be: 1)ovarian or testicular cancer 2) hyperlasia or cancer of the adrenal gland 3) Cushing's disease 4) metabolic syndrome 5) polycystic ovaries

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37897 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oupa:
Obviously some Jamaican Rasta’s were making a pilgrimage to Ethiopia and one of their goats got lost.

I would suspect he can easily be called by loudly playing "Kingston Town" on a large boom box while disguising your scent by burning a large quantity of duga.
sofa

Oupa, duga is and should be dagga,[cannabis]. Just helping an old timer. Cool

SUSTAINABLY HUNTING THE BLUE PLANET!
"Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful, murder respectable and to give an appearence of solidity to pure wind." Dr J A du Plessis

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scriptus:
quote:
Originally posted by oupa:

sofa

Oupa, duga is and should be dagga,[cannabis]. Just helping an old timer. Cool

How did that one slip by me. Thanks for the correction my young friend! old

An old man sleeps with his conscience, a young man sleeps with his dreams.

Posts: 777 | Location: United States | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
Oupa, not so young anymore, 60 next birthday. You do know that within every grey head is a young person looking out and wondering what the hell happened. Big Grin Cool

SUSTAINABLY HUNTING THE BLUE PLANET!
"Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful, murder respectable and to give an appearence of solidity to pure wind." Dr J A du Plessis

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote