New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tea with a Legend
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
On my June trip to South Africa, we traveled with PH Eduard Katzke from Pilanesberg National Park to his Good Hope Ranch near Kimberley. Upon Katte’s suggestion we paid a wonderful visit to Fred and Sue Everett in Pretoria. Fred is one of the last living commercial hunters at 89 years. He and his lovely wife Sue hosted us for tea and conversation.

Fred and Sue spent most of their lives living and hunting from bush camps. While Sue and my wife Sally had conversations about family life in a tent camp and ox wagon, Fred talked hunting, guns and bullets as he tamped the ashes of his pipe with a spent 404 Jeffery case. Sue is in the process of writing a book for Safari Press on her experiences, including her recipes for African cooking. She has an article in the current Magnum describing how to prepare Hippo for the table, when the table is out in the bush with no refrigeration.

My favorite story from Fred was his first meeting John ‘Pondoro’ Taylor in a bar in Mozambique. Pondoro was wearing a turban and was roaring drunk. When he learned that Fred was using a Mauser 9.3 x 62, Pondoro nearly picked a fight with Fred as he trashed German rifles and proclaimed that Jeffery made the only bolt guns worth using. Fred winked as he indicated that of course Jeffery’s rifles were built on Mausers.

Fred was high on the 7x57 and 9.3 x 62, but said his favorite of all time was the 404. When he worked on tetse control, he used a 30-06 extensively with solids with buffalo and elephant, but had to do so unofficially as it was not approved by his bosses. He had poor experiences with the old Winchester 375 solids, which would deform and fish-tail. He used hard cast solids more effectively, he said.

Fred is the author of Heat, Thirst, and Ivory, concerning his earliest life, and Tuskers in the Dust, about his later hunting years. Heat is out of print, but Safari Press plans another run. I bought an autographed copy of Tuskers, which I will cherish.

This is one of many experiences on this hunt that will remain with me forever. Thanks Katte! Bob

Posts: 1284 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Too cool.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
I take my hat off...

quote:
Originally posted by bobc:
Fred was high on the 7x57 and 9.3 x 62, but said his favorite of all time was the 404.

...and then again - classy...

Posts: 2027 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rusty or other photos wizards: How do I size the photos to larger size? I'm using Flickr. Bob

Posts: 1284 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Bob, that visit alone, would be worth the trip over.

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Very good.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19326 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What great fortune! You lucky person you.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
wonderful opportunity

Posts: 1274 | Location: Alberta (and RSA) | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Books are essential, but no book can can substitute for a meeting like that one. Just a great story, Bob. Thanks.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13442 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Bob: Thanks for sharing your thoughtful and considerate experience with these good folks. Kinda makes my day.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16473 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thats the kind of post that makes AR so great. What an awesome experience. Thanks

Scott Hayman

Posts: 414 | Location: Ridgecrest,Ca | Registered: 02 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing! What a special moment!!

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Awesome! What a wonderful chance to visit a living legend!

Wouldn't it be wonderful to get to share a campfire with him and others like Harry and Mark Selby? Some of my favorite hunting times has been in the company of PHs and fellow hunters.

Bob,
check your hosting site. On mine I just right click on a large photograph on screen. Left click on "properties". Then I copy and past the url:

If you have problems send them to me and I'll put them up for you.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 450/400 Jeffrey's
posted Hide Post
I am sure that was one time in your life you wished you had something to record the stories!

Posts: 142 | Location: Dreaming of Luangwa | Registered: 23 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
this is why i feel accurate reloading forums are so great.real people sharing real life experiences for all to enjoy.a chance of a lifetime fulfilled.

one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
With stories like this, no wonder AR is where I go first when I'm on the net.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Bob! Walking amoung the GODs of the African game fields is a rare privilege that is not offered often. I too have had opertunities to sit and talk with some of the pioneers of the African safari sceen, and those are memories I treasure, as you certainly will as well! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Resized. That's better. Bob

One of Us
Picture of almostacowboy
posted Hide Post
Wow! I'm jealous. I was proud of myself for getting to spend the night in Harry Selby's tent in Botswana, but that hardly seems to compare - not that this is a contest. What a great story.
Dave thumb

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value."
-Thomas Paine, "American Crisis"

Posts: 816 | Location: Llano, CA Mojave Desert | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

This is the inscription from Fred:

"When time was judged by the pace of the ox and the world was unfenced a hunter could follow wherever the herds roamed, his home a hat and a campfire wherever the sun set."

Bob

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Priceless.

Here's a short note on "Tuskers":

quote:
We learned in Heat, Thirst, and Ivory that Fred Everett had left his home in Bechuanaland (Botswana) when he was only a teenager to make his living off the bush, mainly by poaching elephant. In this second volume, we pick up his story in 1937, just as he starts out from Bulawayo on a series of elephant-hunting adventures that are nothing short of extraordinary. Taking his favorite .404, Everett finds a remote corner along the Zambezi River near Binga and starts shooting elephants to earn a living. With a single elephant license in his pocket, he shoots dozens of elephants, which means he frequently had to move to avoid the district commissioner. Acquiring a massive cache of ivory and rhino horn, he manages to return to Bulawayo where he hides his loot—only to be betrayed! After this scrape with the authorities, he returns to the bush, this time to guide a visiting Frenchman to lion and leopard. Next he moves to the Okavango with his two loyal trackers before going to Zambia, where he finds elephant hunting is good but runs into some bad characters. When he finally returns with his ivory, WWII has started and the bottom has dropped out of the ivory market in the British territories. He tries his luck in Mozambique where he acquires a 10.75 Mauser and has some hair-raising adventures there because the bullets of his Mauser fail to penetrate the skulls of the elephant reliably. He meets all the famous elephant hunters of his time: Harry Manners, the famous South African elephant poacher Bvekenya Barnard, and Fletcher Jamieson. His story of elephant hunting is easily as compelling and just as full of adventure as are the stories of Bell and Sutherland.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Bob,

Very neat. Thanks for sharing, particularly the inscription in the book.

We had a similar experience on our recent trip to Zim. We had the opportunity to have dinner with a real hunting legend. I prefer not to go into the details other than to say it was a special evening and a marvelous way to cap off our hunt. It is those "bonus" opportunities that really make the memories of the trip special.

Mike

Posts: 21326 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's a real treat. Fred is legendary.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote