Notify
Tools

Twins to Africa
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted
Folks:

Last Friday I was in Athens, GA on a business meeting a with the publisher of a regional magazine (A very nice looking woman, btw, but way too pretty and young to be interested in this old guy.) Anyway, during the day, I asked her if her twin boys, aged 13, liked to hunt. She somewhat went off on me about firearms, etc.

We didn't finish business until late and she was kind enough to invite me to her home for the evening to have dinner with her sons and spend the night instead of driving 5 hours back home.

The boys were delightful and began to quiz me about hunting. I let them read a copy of "I've Been to the Mountaintop!". Without pressing their mom, they told her that they might want to do some hunting sometime.

Saturday night the Atlanta SCI folks had their banquet. I decided to go since I was an hour away and had no plans. Cindy, the mother, asked if she could go. I asked why, and she said just that she was curious and thought she might be able to sell some advertising.

I was shocked when she began to bid on Africa hunts during the auction. I slowed her down some and explained what might be worthwhile. She/we picked out a 2/1 hunt in Limpopo on a 10,000 hectar ranch with 2 impala, 2 warthogs and 2 steinbok (or something???) with the impala mounted included... seven days, etc. She got it for $1500 which I though was fair. Unknown to me, before we ever left Athens, she had checked on airfare and was willing to pay the $4500 or so that will be. The two PH's who run the place were at the show and she had met them when I was checking out the silent auction and bar, btw, so she has some confidence in her choice and my suggestion..

So, mama's love is greater than mama's fears, it seems and Hunter and Hudson are on their way this summer for the adventure of their lives.

I'm writing this so they can take a look at some suggestions that you folks might want to give them. I'll get them aboard AR as members and they might correspond with some of you folks about suggestions, books to read, etc.

There mother hasn't realized that since she's going, she will also be hooked and her $1500 raffle buy will cost her serious money for subsequent fixes.

So, fellows and ladies, how about giving Cindy, Hunter and Hudson a welcome and congradulations to an adventure, bonding-experience and a time with the mother of us all!

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7694 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of PWN375
posted Hide Post
What a wonderful mother and what lucky sons!!!!

Get a copy of the Perfect Shot ASAP and study it with the boys.

Frequent trips to the range with a 22, then 223 then 308 to work up to the recoil. Buy and air rifle and pellet stop for the backyard.

Find a game ranch close by and shoot some exotics or hogs before going across the pond.

Perry

Posts: 1144 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a wonderful gift for all of you. You will never regret the time you spend with your kids in Africa. You all have a lot to do in a relatively short period of time, but with Judge G to help guide you along you should be fine. Welcome to our forum!!

Posts: 158 | Location: texas panhandle | Registered: 15 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This a perfect story, there is a

God in case there are any doubters.

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
AWESOME!!! There will be more than my 2 boys hunting Africa in the future. Congrats to you, Judge, for facilitating the events that led to her decisions.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Judge I missed you at the Sci show, thats too bad because I would really like to talk with you about your great hunts of the past. David Culpepper and I were running a booth for S&S pro safaris . Any way Congrats on getting the Twins and their mom involved in the wonderful world of hunting, Best of Luck

Posts: 590 | Location: Georgia pine country | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey JudgeG,

Amazing! You truly spread the "word" when it comes to Africa and I for one am thankful for that!

Those two young men are fortunate to have a Mother that takes such an interest in their pursuits....they owe her much!

Drop me a PM and let me know where I can send them a copy of the "Perfect Shot", since you have done so much for me I would like to return a favor.

Best,

jjs

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Class act!

Posts: 223 | Location: close but no cigar | Registered: 03 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
ALP#4,
Thanks!

WTG Ernest! They will have fun!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JudgeG,

I guess you're not as old as you think...after all.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rusty once again you speak with wisdom while my stab at tongue in cheek humor failed.
It's gone

Posts: 223 | Location: close but no cigar | Registered: 03 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
A little Peter Capstick can't hurt. In fact if The Judge will contact me with his address I will send Death In the Long Grass and Death in the Dark Continent and he can get them to the boys.

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2095 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Judge, well done.
Alp, kudos for changing your post.
Young hunters are the future of our sport.
I admire their mom for her decisions.

Judge, you might want to invite all 3 of them to our next hunt at the 4K Ranch. I would be happy not to hunt myself and take one of her sons into the field to shoot a pig. I would even give both of them some shooting lessons at the ranch and furnish them with rifles for the hunt.

The 4K Ranch would be the perfect place for this.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Awesome chain of events JudgeG! Welcome to AR: Cindy Hunter & Hudson. Some excellent advice from our members and I would second taking the Hunters Safety course. A call to the GA G&F should shed light on their schedule for classes, and it would be an excellent idea for Cindy as well. Safety more so than hunting is stressed and we can never be too safe when in the field or anytime we handle or clean guns. From personal experience, 99% of 13 year olds will have a hard time spotting game (as they aren't used to looking for it) and keeping a steady aim when shooting. PWN375 stressed practice with firearms, and some mentioned air rifles. Practice with either would be advantageous along with breathing technique and squeezing the trigger. Shot placement will be a challenge for the boys but with so many of you offering to help, they both should be in good shape by summer. If I can help on checking for discount airfares just let me know. $4,500 for 3 round trip fares is not bad at all, but there may be some specials around or someone may need to sell some tickets. Most likely there may be rifles belonging to the ranch for the boys to use, so that may eliminate the need to buy a new rifle(s) and get temporary gun permits into RSA (I assume the Limpopo region of RSA). If you do take your own gun(s), it is no problem to get preapproved before you leave the US. Your local video store may have hunting video's for rent pertaining to Africa, if not I'll be glad to check and see what I have on the region. Auction bid on an African Safari...$1,500. Airline tickets for three...$4,500. Taking your two sons to Africa at the age of THIRTEEN....PRICELESS! Enjoy your journey, David

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6814 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ernest,

What an ambassador!

Is their hunt in 2007 or 2008?

I'd echo what everyone else has said, with the first and foremost step getting the twins enrolled in a hunter safety course. Kevin Robertson's book on shot placement are a must (The Perfect Shot) and "Africa's Most Damgerous" written by Kevin on Cape Buffalo is good for future hunts.

Now you have to take Cindy, Hunter and Hudson shopping for a plains game rifle (don't drop double rifles on them until AFTER their hunt).

I also like Tony's idea to get the clan to one of our DRSS shoots. The thinking at this point is to try to get another shoot/hunt in by the end of March. And if I'm not mistaken, I believe I have a life sized impala and warthog target let over from our last shoot. We can set the targets up in the bush and let them practice on them to their heart's content.

Cindy, you have done a wonderful thing for the young men in your life. Your gesture is the epitome of putting your sons interests before your own. You obviously love them more than words can express. WAY TO GO, MOM!!!!

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OUTSTANDING!!! what a mom!!!

DRSS

Posts: 1168 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boerbokrib
posted Hide Post
What a mom. But more important is that the sons were introduced to the hunting idea.

More children would be hunting if they were mentored.

The worst thing that you can do for kids is to initiate them into hunting with having to eat genitalia and forcing them to eat raw organs.

blood on the face seems to be okay. This was a small study i did when asking children why they would not hunt.

It would be intresting to see if this is also a putoff factor in other countries

Posts: 291 | Location: Sourh Africa | Registered: 07 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
Absolutely terrific! It's nice to finally hear some good news in a world that is currently so hostile towards hunting. I wish them the best of luck. I would definitely stress the importance of a hunters saftey course to their mom. She seems like a rational woman with a good head on her shoulders (hard to find now a days). Good luck Hunter and Hudson and Mom!!! thumb

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3109 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
best story of the year - kudos to all

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Allout
posted Hide Post
Best news I have heard all year. Good job Judge and congratualtions to the boys and their mom. Your live's are about ot be enriched beyond your wildest imagination. Treasure every moment.

Brian

"If you can't go all out, don't go..."

Posts: 745 | Location: NE Oklahoma | Registered: 05 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PWN375:
What a wonderful mother and what lucky sons!!!!

Get a copy of the Perfect Shot ASAP and study it with the boys.

Frequent trips to the range with a 22, then 223 then 308 to work up to the recoil. Buy and air rifle and pellet stop for the backyard.

Find a game ranch close by and shoot some exotics or hogs before going across the pond.

Perry

That sums it up.

Mom should be shooting as well.

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Judge,

That has to be one of the finest lessons a parent can learn...
I sure would like to meet those young African hunters and shake their hands and welcome them to AR, and the hunting community...

Regards,

Mike, Dad, Grandfather Cool

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
Hearing stories like that is wonderful.

Made me glad when I had to take a hunter's safety course in Kansas; (I'd been grandfathered out in Texas). Among the 50 or so students there must have been 6 single mom's taking the course with their kids. Showed me that when its a parent taking a kid hunting, it ain't necessarily dad.

It also made me remember to take another kid along if they don't have a father or mother who can/will do so.

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
What a great turn of events! I just wanted to say that Cindy must be one heck of a Mom. The twins should count their blessings that they have a parent willing to educate themselves and rise above their fears in order to further their child's interests and enjoyment of life.

I've been here for quite awhile, but I've never been moved enough to post anything until now. Great job, Judge!
Test

Posts: 17 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 14 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Judge G: Congrats on contributing to keeping our sport and heritage alive. You've done a wonderful thing.

one of us
Picture of Redlander
posted Hide Post
I second the notion of a couple of .22s and .308s for these boys - posthaste. I "guided" my nephew to his first deer, and it was one of the most exciting hunting experiences I've ever had. I missed the last couple of years hunting with him - he lives 14 hours away, but I'll making plans for this next year. I'm currently fixing him up a single shot 30-30 for his next birthday.

If you are going to carry a big stick, you've got to whack someone with it at least every once in while.

Posts: 842 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 23 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted Hide Post
You gotta love a person/woman that has an open mind. Well done Cindy! beer And, I think your open mind will change your relationship with the boys forever (for the good of course).

Please keep us posted as you progress through your up coming journey.

Judge- kudos to you too. You didn't jam it down her throat like so many of us tend/want to do. thumb

John

Posts: 1143 | Location: Cody, WY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I really don't think John read his post before pushing the send button! Eeker

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
yup Smiler jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Congratulations ,we must follow your example ,i always offer free hunts for youngs here ,my son made a lot of foriends with this,now Aaron Grabiel a young guide of 21 years from Redding California is living here for 4 months ,hes hunting and fishing all the days totally free.Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6382 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Jorge:

If John, God bless him, saw the lady, he understand my giggle. She is a pretty thing and a good enough a sport to laugh at the "joke".

I enjoyed seeing you and Dawna in Dallas, btw. Let's go to supper on the JFK?

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Likewise, Ernest. As to the JFK, I'll take it up with the management Smiler jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
Did mom read a copy of "I've Been to the Mountaintop!." ?

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
What a wonderful story, and effort, by JudeG! Lucky twins to have a mom like Cindy!

I endorse all advice given.

I'm sure, or hope, that some will help these lucky kids prepare mentally for dealing with the fact that hunting, in the end, involves actually 'killing' an animal. Ending a life! When I killed my irst springbok at the age of 13, I was some distance from my supervising dad. Still remember the anguish on realizing that I actually killed this beautiful creature. Yes, I was proud of my shot, but torn mentally a bit. Just wasn't prepared for it at all!

As Junior Training Officer for my local branch of the SA Hunters & Game Conservation Assn. I always make a point of ensuring that the youngsters realize that despite the excitement, hunting also involves killing. When this is properly handled the kids seem to all accept hunting much better.

In good hunting.

Andrew McLaren

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Judge G,
Kudos on your diplomacy and service to this single mother. A gentlemanly act of kindness.

By the way, Uh, would she be interested in a College Professor? rotflmo

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The boys are very fortunate. They will forever have a more complete perspective on life as a result (and an addiction too).

HooRah! for Cindy.

Good Show to JudgeG.

JudgeG, I think these guys deserve an "Old Hand" guide for the trip ... just to make sure things go perfectly. You ought to volunteer.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BOWHUNR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JudgeG:
I really don't think John read his post before pushing the send button! Eeker

LOL....Now that post of John's was an all time classic!!

Mike

NEVER BOOK A HUNT WITH JEFF BLAIR AT BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING!

Posts: 636 | Location: Omaha, NE U.S.A. | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Way to go, Ernest. You are a class act.

THE LUCKIEST HUNTER ALIVE!

Posts: 853 | Location: St. Thomas, Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 08 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I talked to Cindy last night and she is overwhelmed that folks are being so nice. She's not much of a computer person and she asked me to send her a hard copy of the thread and I'll do that from work today (with John's comment deleated Big Grin.) The boys more than a little excited to see the support for such a wonderful group of folks that really know a lot about safari.

For those of you who have sent books, etc. Way to go! I'll let you know the responses here and I'm sure that thank you letters of thanks will be sent snail ma

Keep up the suggestions. I'll learn from them, too. My daughter may well be Africa bound 2008.

one of us
posted Hide Post
This is one of the most positive treads I have seen for a while Judge.
Good work, and what an adventure Cindy and the twins have in store !

The fact that a single mother take such steps to introduce her sons to the adventure of hunting, and to Africa none the less... I just tip my hat to such a lady thumb

Arild Iversen.

Posts: 1879 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote