New
Find
Notify
Tools

Replicas ain't so bad
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been that with horns when needed. A good taxidermist can cast about anything and it looks perfect.

Posts: 10364 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very cool

Larry - how much do they cost?

I might get a pair even though I have never shot an elephant - just looks cool.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike:

I will check and see. I do not think they were expensive.

You need to come over one day and see all of my stuff.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My taxidermist Atcheson Taxidermy can do them for $1,500 to $2,000 for the pair.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
My taxidermist Atcheson Taxidermy can do them for $1,500 to $2,000 for the pair.

Mark

Mark,

I know nothing of these replicas. Do they match the exact Ivory taken or are they just stock forms from a catalog?

Sorry if that sounds dumb but I never looked into this.

Cheers
Jim

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
quote:

Mark

Mark,

I know nothing of these replicas. Do they match the exact Ivory taken or are they just stock forms from a catalog?

Sorry if that sounds dumb but I never looked into this.

Cheers
Jim

Jim:

Mine were exact replicas of the actual tusks. They were done in Zim. Molds of the actual tusks were made.

I am curious myself how they do this in the US.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim,

If you take exact measurements and lots of pictures you should be able to get a minimum of 90% accuracy according to Tom Hardesty that owns Atcheson Taxidermy.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
I had replicas of my darted White Rhino horns done in 2003. Lots of pics from different angles and good measurements will provide a quality taxidermist with the means to produce accurate replicas. However, Rhino horn is actually hair, whereas Ele ivory is, well, IVORY, and there really is no substitute when it comes to it.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
$ 1500-2000. I had real ones shipped here for less.

Seems a lot for fiberglass, but then I'd probably attempt to do it myself for that kinda money.
I guess, now if you can't bring real ones in, you get hosed here.
You pay one way or the other...

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thierry Labat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boarkiller:

Seems a lot for fiberglass, but then I'd probably attempt to do it myself for that kinda money.

I got a replica set of 60lbs tusks done for my father here in Zim and it cost $200 and my friend got a set of his 110lbs tusks he guided in Mozambique done here at the same place for $300. For my fathers set they had the real tusks with them to use, but for the 110lber they made them using photos. They look identical!! This was 2009, so don't know how much the price would've changed by 2014?

Posts: 644 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 10 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jan Dumon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thierry Labat:
quote:
Originally posted by boarkiller:

I got a replica set of 60lbs tusks done for my father here in Zim and it cost $200 and my friend got a set of his 110lbs tusks he guided in Mozambique done here at the same place for $300. For my fathers set they had the real tusks with them to use, but for the 110lber they made them using photos. They look identical!! This was 2009, so don't know how much the price would've changed by 2014?

That's very inexpensive for replicas. This might just be the way to go then. Will hunters who do this be able to store their Ivory in Zimbabwe , retain ownership , and export it when the ban gets lifted ?

Jan Dumon
Professional Hunter& Outfitter
www.shumbasafaris.com

+27 82 4577908

Posts: 774 | Location: Greater Kruger - South Africa | Registered: 10 August 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I think, unless the US FWS changes it's ruling on the importation of elephant parts on legally taken elephants in Zimbabwe, and Tanzania, you will be seeing far more of the replica tusks in trophy rooms in future!

The use of replicas for elephant tusks is no different for the common use of replica fish so the fish can be released, or simply butchered for food.

The tusks Larry posted are very well done, would be a lot better in a trophy room that just a snap-shot of the elephant! Still it is unfortunate that the real tusks have to be left in country which accomplishes nothing to what the uninformed anti hunters are trying to accomplish, the stopping of legal hunting of elephants!
.......................................................................... old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aziz
posted Hide Post
Larry those replica tusks are very well done

Aziz

photo 5a71b091-8ccb-440e-8358-1ba8fe6939cb_zpsga1mmy00.jpg

Posts: 591 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jan Dumon:
That's very inexpensive for replicas. This might just be the way to go then. Will hunters who do this be able to store their Ivory in Zimbabwe , retain ownership , and export it when the ban gets lifted ?

I have a feeling that because the elephant was hunted during a ban year, most likely, that will not happen.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree that replicas are wise idea for some folks. In fact, several of our clients have the real tusks at home, and a replica at the office. Once at the Wildlife Gallery Dan Catlin showed me the process his team uses to make replicas. I was astonished at the realism they achieved. You have to really look, and know what your looking for to see the difference. This art has made quantum leaps over the last few years, and not just on ivory, heck, any horn or antler. I think this art form may be a life saver if this elephant thing drags on.

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For those who asked, I paid $700 for the tusks including the bases. I also paid $300 for crating and paperwork. I am very pleased.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys,

Let's look at the replica price. If you go on a elephant only safari and get replicas made here in the States your not paying any dip/pack/crating/shipping/broker fees etc. Unless you go nuts on some very elaborate bases $1,500-$2,000 a set for replicas sounds pretty good. Even if you get the replicas done in Africa you still have to deal with all the shipping issues and costs.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark:

You are correct. However, I imagine that there will still be costs for crating and shipping. Shipping should be far less than shipping from Africa.

One of Us
Picture of hunteratheart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LionHunter:
I had replicas of my darted White Rhino horns done in 2003. Lots of pics from different angles and good measurements will provide a quality taxidermist with the means to produce accurate replicas. However, Rhino horn is actually hair, whereas Ele ivory is, well, IVORY, and there really is no substitute when it comes to it.

Mike,
was curious who did your rhino horn, if you were pleased with them, and approximate costs (if you wouldn't mind sharing)?

Larry's tusks look great in the picture. For those that have replicas, are you pleased with the overall look and would you do it again?

DRSS
Sabatti 450\400 NE
Merkel 140-2 500 NE

Posts: 668 | Location: WA | Registered: 24 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK, I've got a few questions, and I haven't seen an answer to these on this thread or on Brennan's thread yet. Sorry if they are dumb questions. Maybe Thierry would know the answers?

If you now shoot a bull elephant in Zimbabwe under the import ban, who is the official "owner" of your tusks? Also, where would they reside? For example, are you allowed to "give" your tusks to your PH for safe keeping? Or would the Zim government now own them and confiscate them? Would you ever be allowed to import them in the future if the ban was lifted, even though they were harvested while the ban was in effect?

larryshores mentioned on Brennan's thread that he shot an ele long ago and knows exactly where the tusks are, but would not try to get them back from there. Since I go to Africa fairly frequently, there would be a value of being able to go there and SEE them, but I imagine that would only be possible if a friend was holding them for me. Also, I guess I would have replicas made for my home in the U.S. in that situation.

Posts: 282 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: 20 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Molepole,

My understanding is that the taxidermist would hold the ivory in safe keeping indefinitely. I guess you could go visit it. Perhaps arrange a private viewing!

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Molepole,

My understanding is that the taxidermist would hold the ivory in safe keeping indefinitely. I guess you could go visit it. Perhaps arrange a private viewing!

Mark

And what if you never take them to a taxidermist? Who holds them? Mark, I know you're making fun, but it was a serious question, and I think you know what I meant. If they were being held by a PH friend whom I visited occaisionally, at least I'd be able to see them on my trips there. For people like you who already have their tusks home, maybe this isn't a big deal for you. But I think there are other guys here who will hunt ele in the future, and they might be interested in correct answers to these questions, rather than being made fun of.

Posts: 282 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: 20 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Glen:

I reckon that you would be the owner of the tusks as you would be the hunter of a bull elephant taken off a legal trophy hunting quota for the current year. In Zim, your name would be on the TR-2 as the hunter. When Parks stamped the TR-2 and the fees were paid, it's your ivory to do with as you see fit, whether that be export, destroy, leave, etc., but all within the confines of the local laws, the laws of the US, and international laws and treaties related to ivory and the trade ban.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
And, Larry, those look really nice. For guys with only one set of tusks (like me) that would be a nice way to have ivory for home and for the office.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Molepole,

My intent was not to make fun of anyone. I actually was answering your question seriously as I have clients that could find themselves in this situation later this year. The operators I work with have told me the ivory will be taken care of as usual and the taxidermist your PH is using will hold the tusks awaiting a reverse of the ban if that comes about. The point is the ivory will be safe and everything will be handled normally except the ivory cannot be shipped to the US.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by safari-lawyer:
Glen:

I reckon that you would be the owner of the tusks as you would be the hunter of a bull elephant taken off a legal trophy hunting quota for the current year. In Zim, your name would be on the TR-2 as the hunter. When Parks stamped the TR-2 and the fees were paid, it's your ivory to do with as you see fit, whether that be export, destroy, leave, etc., but all within the confines of the local laws, the laws of the US, and international laws and treaties related to ivory and the trade ban.

Will and Mark:

Thanks for your answers. Personally, I think I would feel better leaving them at a friend's house there than in some taxidermist's storage room, even if they were kept under lock and key. I don't know if they'd be any more secure there or not, so maybe my thinking isn't correct. Last summer I took a tour of a South African tannery, and the nice owner even showed me his "safe" room, which was a room with a safe door, where he kept his most valuable things, including a pair of tusks. He said that he wouldn't even consider leaving them laying around the showroom or the shop.

Glen

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hunteratheart:

Mike,
was curious who did your rhino horn, if you were pleased with them, and approximate costs (if you wouldn't mind sharing)?

I used Taxidermy Africa in RSA for many years. They did the replicas of my Rhino horns on a wooden plaque. A Rhino shoulder mount is huge (and heavy) and many are done as replicas as well, as they are much lighter in weight. I took my Rhino back in 2003 and really have no recollection of the fee as I did safari in both RSA and Mozambique that year and had a number of trophies and hides done by Taxidermy Africa from those hunts. I am pleased with the Rhino horns on the shield. Of course this was the only option, other than pics and video which I also have, on a darted animal.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
They are definitely beautifully colored Larry
Speaking of the ban
Rep. Raines from Mt sent me generic reply thanking me for my support of USFWS. You gotta be kidding me
You guys should see what I wrote back. Didn't hold back at all as I was literally pissed of
I was ready to slugg him if he was in my reach
What a Moron

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.

“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
I meant Steve Daines

“ Hávamál”

One of Us
Picture of Thierry Labat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Molepolole:
OK, I've got a few questions, and I haven't seen an answer to these on this thread or on Brennan's thread yet. Sorry if they are dumb questions. Maybe Thierry would know the answers?

If you now shoot a bull elephant in Zimbabwe under the import ban, who is the official "owner" of your tusks? Also, where would they reside? For example, are you allowed to "give" your tusks to your PH for safe keeping? Or would the Zim government now own them and confiscate them? Would you ever be allowed to import them in the future if the ban was lifted, even though they were harvested while the ban was in effect?

larryshores mentioned on Brennan's thread that he shot an ele long ago and knows exactly where the tusks are, but would not try to get them back from there. Since I go to Africa fairly frequently, there would be a value of being able to go there and SEE them, but I imagine that would only be possible if a friend was holding them for me. Also, I guess I would have replicas made for my home in the U.S. in that situation.

Molepole,
The elephant tusks would belong to you. National Parks actually give you an owners certificate for each tusk, with the weight, length, etc. Yes, you could leave these with a friend of yours here, so long as you also leave all the relevant paper work with him too. Now, if I was to keep someone's ivory for them, I'd make sure that they understood, that if ever there was a theft, or a fire or anything as such and their tusks got destoyed, stolen etc, that I wouldn't be held responsible! Also I'm sure there are only so many sets of ivory someone would be willing to keep at their house!!! For example if I had 4 elephant hunters this year, I definatley wouldn't want to keep 4 sets of tusks at my house?? So with all this said and done, it would in the end probably be better to let the taxidermist keep them in their massive volts!!

Taking an elephant this year, in the hope of being able to export them at a later stage or once the ban gets " lifted " would in my opinion not be the way forward. Just assume you will never get those tusks, this way you will not be disappointed in the future.

Cheers
Thierry

One of Us
Picture of Jan Dumon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Taking an elephant this year, in the hope of being able to export them at a later stage or once the ban gets " lifted " would in my opinion not be the way forward. Just assume you will never get those tusks, this way you will not be disappointed in the future.

Cheers
Thierry

Not even if it was at a better price for the hunt Thierry ? I think if the hunter gets a deal and understands the risks , it could be a definite way for some hunters.

Jan Dumon
www.shumbasafaris.com

+27 82 4577908

Posts: 774 | Location: Greater Kruger - South Africa | Registered: 10 August 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thierry Labat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jan Dumon:
quote:

Cheers
Thierry

Not even if it was at a better price for the hunt Thierry ? I think if the hunter gets a deal and understands the risks , it could be a definite way for some hunters.

Jan, on one of my posts on another topic relating to the " Ban on import of ivory from Zim & TZ " I mention that most the good operators will probably agree to come to some sort of an agreement with the client on the price, but bear in mind that the Zim GVT is not going to give the Zim operator a discount because an American can't import the tusks into the US!!!
The best would be for the client to " Assume " he's never going to be able to import the tusks.........if he ends up being able to import them one day, then that's a big +

One of Us
Picture of Jan Dumon
posted Hide Post
Agreed Thierry , and understood that zim GVT will not give a discount. That said , I see there are Zim outfitters dropping their Elephant prices . I guess they'd rather make less than lose the hunts completely. Most of us who have been around for some time have been there for whatever reason and we do what we need to do. I find this appalling what is done to you guys.

Jan Dumon
www.shumbasafaris.com

+27 82 4577908

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I was a Zim outfitter, I would fundamentally change my hunts. I would include replica tusks in the price but would retain ownership of the real tusks. I would dispose of the tusks and retain the proceeds.

Of course, I am not an outfitter.

One of Us
Picture of Jan Dumon
posted Hide Post
Good thinking Larry. I'm not sure if selling the tusks would be legal though.
You know , we shouldn't have to be having this conversation. This is absurd. Just a few days ago this was the furthest from anyone's mind. What next ?

Jan Dumon
www.shumbasafaris.com

+27 82 4577908

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aren't some tusks sold to make various trinkets?

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
my replicas look just like the originals

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13402 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote