New
Find
Notify
Tools

ship in containeers
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
a few years back i had 2 safaris at a taxidermist in zim. the airfare to ship them here was over 10 grand, so i decided on ocean freight. they crated everything up and stuck it in a shared container. it hit chicago in just 30 days with a 3200 bill. everything came through perfectly. since that time i haven't used airfreight again. thus in humble opinion the airlines can shove their bans up their wazoo

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent idea! I think,it's the way forward for the time being.Who in ZIm arranged this for you?

Cheers

Nick

Posts: 665 | Location: EU | Registered: 05 September 2010Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Just received a container with my trophies.

Much cheaper than air freight.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68647 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know if Olympic air freight is still in service but I remember having my trophies sent by them once and getting a good price.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When i think how long I leave my stuff at a taxidermist's place of business, this is an excellent idea. I have stuff from a 2013 Africa hunt waiting to be mounted and a big elk from last fall at an Idaho taxidermist's office.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
I shipped by sea container in 2007.. Went thru Fauna and Flora as it came into NY harbor. Only catch is it was only finished trophies.. Not bad if you don't mind using African Taxidermists...

Used Delta Air Freight since then - back to shipping by sea now.

Delta will never see my ass in their seats again!!

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

Posts: 894 | Location: Akron, OH | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
they have started not taking shipments also. Anyone know of a shipper that is for sure still shipping sea freight.

Posts: 576 | Location: macungie , Pa | Registered: 21 March 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cajun1956
posted Hide Post
Regarding trans Atlantic trophy shipments via container ship, are temperature (trans-equatorial passage) and humidity (marine environment) major concerns?

DSC Life Member
HSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
SCI
RMEF

Posts: 2021 | Location: Republic of Texico | Registered: 20 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
We shipped trophies by sea form Zim about 10 years ago without problems.

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1436 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
SAA will still freight your trophies, shouldn't be a problem

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2012 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cajun1956:
Regarding trans Atlantic trophy shipments via container ship, are temperature (trans-equatorial passage) and humidity (marine environment) major concerns?

When a friend of mine opened his container, the trophies were covered in mold. Took quite a while to get them cleaned up, but they did come clean.

Posts: 352 | Location: Washington State, USA | Registered: 29 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As long as SAA stays out of the embargo (even though they were one of the first in) their subsidiary Cargolux is excellent. Your JNB shippers will know.

Posts: 227 | Location: Calgary, Canada | Registered: 06 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
When a friend of mine opened his container, the trophies were covered in mold. Took quite a while to get them cleaned up, but they did come clean

If its mold that's causing concern, I would suggest shipping the trophies in a reefer container; you could even bring all the back-straps home as well Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I see a real business opportunity here for some Logistics professional. Offer a door to door service with shared containers for hunters!

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11195 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nakihunter:
I see a real business opportunity here for some Logistics professional. Offer a door to door service with shared containers for hunters!

Wouldn't be easy getting all the clients in the port of destination; others would have to pay for overland transport which would probably be higher than the cost to ship the container.