THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    How Do You Feel About Leopard in RSA?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How Do You Feel About Leopard in RSA?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted
Hi Guys for those of you cat hhunters out there, how do you feel about leopard in RSA within the fnced ranches.

While I was there, there was a lot evidence of leopard in the area and we even came accross a fresh kill site. We started to track for the fun of it but the wind was wrong so we stopped.

The question is do you see leopard in a different light to Loin in RSA? Would you hunt leopard over bait in RSA given that the fences do little to keep Mr Spots from going where he wants to go?

Personally I would hapily take leopard in RSA over bait but wouldn't looka t lion in any wayy shap e or form.

Just interested in the opinions.

FB

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You asked for opinions, so here's mine:
(I realize your initial query did not make any mention of blinds, please forgive my inclusion if it is not germane to your interest)
Unless it is part of an effort to eliminate a "Nuisance" animal, I would have no interest in shooting a big cat over bait from a blind.

Posts: 953 | Location: Florida | Registered: 17 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 404WJJeffery
posted Hide Post
FB

Inquring minds want to know--

just what did you do to redeem yourself? lol

I have a hunt in July in Limpopo, I guess it is the same, except I will return to a chalet. Apart fom hunting with dogs, i don't think one can reliably hunt a lep unless it is with baiting. Seems once in a while someone will come across one by chance and pop him, but I understand it is extremely rare.

Posts: 1489 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would have no problem whatsoever hunting for leopard in RSA. The fences make no difference to their habits whatsoever.

In addition, they will take a lot more skill to kill than just driving around the farm in 1st gear hoping to see kudu before they run away (I know a lot of places are not like this)!

Posts: 2359 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I've never seen figures quoting success rates in various African countries on this species, but from my personal experiences the success rate on (fair chase) Leopard hunts in SA would probably be lower than many other African countries. (Incidentally, PHASA has had a moratorium on hunting cats with dogs for some years).

The SA farmers have been waging war against the Leopard by just about every method possible since they first put livestock on the land and consequently South African Leopards are now very well educated and generally very reluctant to come to bait. I'm not suggesting they're impossible to hunt in SA - just considerably harder than elsewhere in Africa. Add on the fact that in the past some landowners haven't exactly been scrupulous in their methods makes it even harder to know if you're getting a fair crack of the whip or not....... but things are now getting much better in that regard at least.

My advice would be to look elsewhere in Africa for a Leopard if you can afford it.......

one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Shakari,

The question was really heoretical as I think If spots was on the cards it would be in conjunction with a Buff, so given that I won't hunt buff in RSA, then I doubt I'll be hunting leopard there.

whispers of a 2008 Buff hunt have been growing in my head so I think I'll have to start taking notice soon!!

Rgds,
FB

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Sounds good to me...... if that little voice is whispering in your ear now, I'd advise you pay heed to it before it starts shouting at you! Wink

one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
One of my (unsuccessful) leopard hunts was in RSA, it was on a cattle ranch which had a leopard killing stock. We tried without success with typical leopard technique. We did not try dogs.

The rancher trapped the cat the next year and killed it. Too bad, it was a big male.

As noted the ranchers have trained these animals to be very wary.

Don Edwards,

Pray tell what is the proper way to hunt leopard?

jim

if you're too busy to hunt,you're too busy.

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
Yes, I would hunt a leopard in South Africa, but not a lion.

That said, I remember the scandal a couple of years back when some non-hunters attending an environmental conference at a well-known Namibian safari lodge drove back to Windhoek for something.

When they saw a couple of South Africans showing off for the local girls by teasing a pair of leopards in a cage in the trailer behind their bakkie, they parked their car so the South Africans couldn't drive away and went and got a constable.

Seems the two men had just picked up the leopards at the same lodge where the conference was being held, and had stopped in Windhoek for a couple of beers en route to deliver the cats to the South African purchaser, who just happened to own a African game farm offering leopard hunts.

So ... some canned leopard hunting DOES happen in South Africa.

There are enough wild leopards there that this is probably rare, though. I'd just be careful of where and with whom I hunted.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don Edwards,

Pray tell what is the proper way to hunt leopard?

Jim,
I have no idea. I've yet to learn of a Leopard specific hunt technique that appealed to me. That's merely an admission of my own igorance. The only leopard I ever had a chance to shoot was one we came upon totally "by accident" so to speak early one morning near a cattle tank.
Cheers,
Don

Posts: 953 | Location: Florida | Registered: 17 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
fences mean nothing to leopards, may as well not be there.

so the debate is not which country, but which method.

hot pursuit with bushmen trackers and dogs sure beats sitting in a blind for two weeks!

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2928 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote