Find
Notify
Tools

lion bones - for chinese wine
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of charlieT
posted
After watching the expose on Carte blance, (Mnet pay chanal in South Africa). Sindicates are paying up to $4000 for the bones of lions, to be used in a special chinese wine. This is instead of using Tiger bones, that are very scare.

This can be a major threat to lion populations in africa, which goes without saying, how negative this can be for us as hunters, who would still like take lions in the future.
If lion bones become the next 'rhino horn' for these east, lions could be decimated in a matter of a few years.

Posts: 27 | Location: africa | Registered: 24 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of charlieT
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
Seems the Chinese will put anything into wine.

Back 30 years ago the company I was working for was sold to a Taiwanese company. A task force of company workers from Taiwan decended on our facility.

One of them asked me where I was going on vacation. I said I was going hunting for deer in Pennsylvania. His eyes lit up and he asked male deer? I said yes and he said he would pay me $5 for the "dick". I said for what and he replied deer dick wine.

As it was I got a deer that year. As I was gutting the deer as I cut its member off I smiled and tossed it into the gut pile. That guy was a real jerk such that I wouldn't have urinated on him if he was on fire.

Posts: 932 | Location: Delaware, USA | Registered: 13 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Charlie, with all the money the US has poured into China over the last decade, they can afford fine Lion Leg Wine. Thanks for posting this. Nothing about China surprises me anymore. I bet PETA is real big in China shocker

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6814 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of charlieT
posted Hide Post
It is scary. I just hope that this can be addressed properly.This fad will need to be stopped asap, before we dont have a lion quota to hunt anymore.
We do not need any more red tape around CITES and trophy exports as is.

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
The logical answer is to export all the breeding stock that can no longer be used here in RSA and use 'em as breeding stock for lion farming in China.

Might stop all sides (except the Chinese) 'wining'!

animal rotflmo jumping rotflmo animal

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
What I have to say about the Chinese and the way they traffic in stuff like tiger, lion, & rhino can't be repeated in mixed company.

They are definitely the scourge of the rhino.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37821 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
What I have to say about the Chinese and the way they traffic in stuff like tiger, lion, & rhino can't be repeated in mixed company.

They are definitely the scourge of the rhino.

One thing's for sure..... they're flogging a dead horse with the rhino horn thing. I've tried it several times and no matter how well you tie it on, the damn thing's just too heavy and falls off before you can get horizontal!

animal rotflmo jumping rotflmo animal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
you would be the one who would know about flogging a dead horse. I have heard you into getting al little of the dieing quivvers rotflmo rotflmo

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Shakari yuck yuck yuck

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11222 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
kinda make you wonder why his fly was down in the leopard picture don't it rotflmo rotflmohere kitty kitty jumping

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My dad had been selling the skeletons from all the PAC lion off our placeto a nice chinese gentleman called Xu Peng for years. When I was in Parks I found out what his game was...he was buying up any legal Tiger skins in Zim- Paying top dollar for the few legal trophies hanging around. A small square of Tiger skin would be included with each lion skelleton that was shipped back to china to 'prove' it was a tiger skelaton! Lion and Tiger are 100% indestiguishable once you take the skin off - even a DNA test cannot reliably seperate them!So, He would pay my dad (and others) about US$500 for a nicely cleaned and kept lion skelaton and sell it in china for US$50k...a nice little living!

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ddrhook:
kinda make you wonder why his fly was down in the leopard picture don't it rotflmo rotflmohere kitty kitty jumping

Hardly what you'd call safe sex huh? rotflmo

quote:
Originally posted by Ganyana:
My dad had been selling the skeletons from all the PAC lion off our placeto a nice chinese gentleman called Xu Peng for years. When I was in Parks I found out what his game was...he was buying up any legal Tiger skins in Zim- Paying top dollar for the few legal trophies hanging around. A small square of Tiger skin would be included with each lion skelleton that was shipped back to china to 'prove' it was a tiger skelaton! Lion and Tiger are 100% indestiguishable once you take the skin off - even a DNA test cannot reliably seperate them!So, He would pay my dad (and others) about US$500 for a nicely cleaned and kept lion skelaton and sell it in china for US$50k...a nice little living!

I actually don't have a problem with the Chinese wanting lion products for their traditional medicine. SA has a shit load of farm reared lions they don't know what to do with since the much needed ban so what better solution than to sell them to the Chinese who can farm them domestically and thus ensure it's not financially viable to poach wild lions and more to the point, tigers in those few areas left in India etc.

The purrrrfect solution. Smiler

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Next time you shoot a Lion tell your PH you want a fullskin, skull and bones. Could offset the cost of your expensive safari?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9956 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve...you eat Rhino horn...but it doesn't work- have tried it and all it made me do was want to run off and shag a landrover...

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
yuck animal animal animal yuck

One of Us
Picture of Gerhard.Delport
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ganyana:
Steve...you eat Rhino horn...but it doesn't work- have tried it and all it made me do was want to run off and shag a landrover...

yuck yuck

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
Capture Your African Moments
Hunting Outfitter (MP&LP)
Proffesional Hunter (MP&LP)
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Stephen Palos
posted Hide Post
This seems terrible, but I've just found something worse:

There is another creature which "some" people have been crowding into pens at 14 per square metre. They only allow them a six week lifespan after which they are bundled into crates and trucked off.
Then their throats are slit and their entrails pulled out.
They are consumed by hungry hoards in the millions, with their very juices being sucked out their bones. This is happening at a rate of about 100 000 per minute!

It is so inneficient it is one of the largest contributers to global warming.
50 million acres of grassland are devoted to sustaing the grain intake of the creatures.
114 millon acres of tropical or rain forest have been destroyed to supply it's vegetable protein requirement.
80 million tons of fish provide further protein..

To see a picture of the poor creatures click on this link:

http://www.culinaryhatchet.com...er-factory-farm1.jpg

http://www.bigbore.org/
http://www.chasa.co.za

Addicted to Recoil !
I hunt because I am human. Hunting is the expression of my humanity...

Posts: 441 | Location: Randfontein, South Africa | Registered: 07 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Palos:
This seems terrible, but I've just found something worse:

There is another creature which "some" people have been crowding into pens at 14 per square metre. They only allow them a six week lifespan after which they are bundled into crates and trucked off.
Then their throats are slit and their entrails pulled out.
They are consumed by hungry hoards in the millions, with their very juices being sucked out their bones. This is happening at a rate of about 100 000 per minute!

It is so inneficient it is one of the largest contributers to global warming.
50 million acres of grassland are devoted to sustaing the grain intake of the creatures.
114 millon acres of tropical or rain forest have been destroyed to supply it's vegetable protein requirement.
80 million tons of fish provide further protein..

To see a picture of the poor creatures click on this link:

http://www.culinaryhatchet.com...er-factory-farm1.jpg

What fowl behaviour! jumping

One of Us
posted Hide Post
DAM he said juices being sucked out of there bones and I had a flash back of an old girlfriend. you might know here? her name is Sucksalot Loosey

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I think I might have been married to her once!

animal jumping animal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have to admit I did try a lond rover ONCE!!!! BUT in my own defence I was a little drunk!!!! OK OK OOM I was slightly more than a little drunk and at the time I thought the rover was my girl friend jumping

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i bet you where was she one of the part time wives that are so popular????????

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
even a DNA test cannot reliably seperate them!

Not going to get into the Cruiser Shagging conversation. Roll Eyes

But to Ganyana...I bet we can tell the difference in lions and tigers 100% for sure with DNA. Oryxhunter...you out there to answer this???

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37821 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gayana,
There could be nothing more from the truth than what you commented on before.

YOU CAN MOST CERTAINLY TELL THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN LION AND TIGER PARTS FROM DNA!

Let's think about this, I can take a DNA sample from two different horses, people, dogs, and tell them apart, so what on God's earth makes you think we can't tell the difference between two different species?????? Hellooo did you really post that? DNA isn't just scientific magic that us scientist created to spook the public.

Hell, on my desk right now I've got a magazine, "scientific american" July 2009 volume 301 number 1, and there's an article about people taking samples of ivory, getting DNA from the tusks, and then tracking it back to regional/geographic areas based on DNA taken from elephants.

It's called genes, and chromosomes, they have markers and they are different from species to species.

Posts: 725 | Location: Texas | Registered: 05 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes I did write that...Lion and tiger differnt species...perhaps, pitty they can interbreed and produce viable offspring. Ligers are not sterile! Nore are the cross betwen cervil and African Wild cat...or Zebra and Donkey....or wait - beter move this to the political forum.

When Xu Peng was being prosecuted, the Zim polic got the brit police involved in the 'analysis' of the various skelatons- which were lion and which were tiger (he had one real tiger skelaton)...He got away with it becuse state of the art analysis couldn't be sure which was the legal Tiger skelaton and which were lion. Th Zim lions were easy to tie up..but he had others from as far away as Tanzania and CAR...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gayana,
You are digging quite a hole my friend. Just because animals can interbreed doesn't mean anything concerning the ability to make clear distinctions between their DNAs.

I can't believe I'm having to convince you of this...halarious! But you keep on believing what you wish...but YOU ARE WRONG!!!!!!!! 100% WRONG~ Let me reiterate. If I can compare two lions together, and tell which one is which by its DNA. And I can compare two Tigers together and tell the difference between the two of them. Don't you think I could compare a lion and tiger and be able to tell the difference.

These ideas you're putting on here are complete lunacy...seriously. I don't care what "state of the art technology" zimbabwe had access too, having seen the scientific abilities of most african nations, LIGHT YEARS behind the USA...I don't doubt they could get a conviction, but if you were to try that here in Texas. We could most certainly prove a case. Hell, right now I can do a test to see if a calf from a female bison has a great great great great great great great great great.....grandparent that was a Bos Taurus cow. You have no concept of current DNA testing capability.

Feel free to continue believe what you wish, but I just thought for the sake of the AR family, we wouldn't want that false claim going home with anyone.

Posts: 725 | Location: Texas | Registered: 05 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Ganyana,

Oryxhunter is an expert in DNA. What he says is the truth. In their lab at Texas A&M they would have NO problem in making 100% for sure distinction. It would not even be difficult for them.

When it comes to DNA analysis...listen to what Oryxhunter has to say...that is why I ask him to comment.

Just as you would believe what Raoul told you about a black rhino in Zim...believe what Oryxhunter tells you about DNA.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Attempted shagging rotflmo unsuccessful due to fluid overload rotflmo