New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mark Watts
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
While in Ethiopia I heard Mark Watts has quit hunting and is now very Anti-hunting. Any one else heard this?

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He posted here saying he is no longer hunting for a living, but I did not get any kind of anti-hunting vibe from what he posted.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Think he went through a divorce--sucks--don't think he is anti hunting--but he has moved on. His videos were well done--but over the top for me. Marc is a very professional guy--but really don't know how much he really "loved" the sport of hunting.

I may be speaking out of turn--but it is hard to just turn off passion. I have not flown (private pilot) in 4 years but still enjoy reading about and talking with pilots. I do not know how you can just move on. Hunting is part of me. I guess life changes and Marc had to go and make some coin.

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted Hide Post
I think it can easily be turned on and off. I had a rough go for a while and could careless about hunting, sports, anything at that point. Things have changed and I dream of Africa every day.

Posts: 1355 | Registered: 04 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
I spoke with Marc a few times over the last couple of years. He said he had pretty much given up hunting to concentrate on his son's baseball (high school) and his media business out in SoCal. He's a great guy; did a lot of serious hunting in a fairly short period of time. Maybe one day he'll take it back up when his son gets older and they can hunt together. Africa especially gets in your blood; I can't see not ever going back for any of us who have been there.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of J.R.Jackson
posted Hide Post
In the Feb/Mar 2012 issue of Universal Hunter magazine, Marc Watts said he retired from hunting. Did everything hunting related he wanted to do and sold all his taxidermy and art, most guns, ect.

Posts: 570 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 12 November 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Funny this comes out now.

What I heard was that he wanted to get into Hollywood - in what capacity I have no idea, and for that to work he had to distance himself from people like us.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67079 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Guys like that go thru life, get to like something, do it all the time because it's cool( over do it ) and then they move onto something else.
Seen plenty of " hunters " like that.
Only guys that grow up hunting as " their thing " in life usually stick it out all their lives.
It's complicated, but you have t be passionate about nature as whole. Hunting comes hand to hand with watching, observing, enjoying, conserving, protecting and simply loving your surroundings in nature and not always kill everything that moves.
Only then you can be complete hunter for life.
Rest of the so called hunters are killers and collectors en vogue.
PS: Nothing against one guy ( mentioned here ). He is free to do what he wants.

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Safari James
posted Hide Post
Flash in the pan. End game was fame via media. Never really an outdoors guy. It was a means to an end that never came to financial fruition. On to the next THING.

Safari James
USMC
DRSS

Posts: 369 | Location: Texas | Registered: 16 August 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
Odd thread on many levels.

Hunting videos may never have another narrator with the skill of Mark Watts. The guy was amazing.

I wondered when he moved out to So. Cal.

If he hunted too much and lost the lust for it that is just sad. Fred Bear did the same darn thing, and that should be a lesson to ALL OF US!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ferd Bear, the hunter's hunter! Yes he lost the yearn to hunt!

I'm sorry to hear about a divorce as that always stinks. I seem to remember a recent piece about his family that seemed pretty perfect.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I heard of his actions, it only reinforced my thoughts all along. He was in it for the money nothing more nothing less. I also heard it was to advance his current career aims. To me he was never a "hunter" only and actor playing a role. He came across as a Mohammad Ali type "I am the greatest". Also his only interest was carrying a tape - get the measurement and then a range finder to measure the shot distance. It was NEVER about the hunt.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seems his big Mugabe interview never happened

Posts: 12000 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yet whenever he was around relating his stories there wuz a lot of "stooping and bowing" by the usual crowd. coffee

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Guys like that go thru life, get to like something, do it all the time because it's cool( over do it ) and then they move onto something else.Seen plenty of " hunters " like that.Only guys that grow up hunting as " their thing " in life usually stick it out all their lives.It's complicated, but you have t be passionate about nature as whole. Hunting comes hand to hand with watching, observing, enjoying, conserving, protecting and simply loving your surroundings in nature and not always kill everything that moves.Only then you can be complete hunter for life.Rest of the so called hunters are killers and collectors en vogue.PS: Nothing against one guy ( mentioned here ). He is free to do what he wants.

Boarkiller, this is absolutly correct.
!!
Well written
!!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Only guys that grow up hunting as " their thing " in life usually stick it out all their lives.It's complicated, but you have t be passionate about nature as whole. Hunting comes hand to hand with watching, observing, enjoying, conserving, protecting and simply loving your surroundings in nature and not always kill everything that moves.Only then you can be complete hunter for life.Rest of the so called hunters are killers and collectors en vogue.

tu2

Posts: 1795 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Die Ou Jagter:
When I heard of his actions, it only reinforced my thoughts all along. He was in it for the money nothing more nothing less. I also heard it was to advance his current career aims. To me he was never a "hunter" only and actor playing a role. He came across as a Mohammad Ali type "I am the greatest". Also his only interest was carrying a tape - get the measurement and then a range finder to measure the shot distance. I was NEVER about the hunt.

I concur...always seemed about half anti-hunter to me when he "was" a hunter.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36719 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
Odd thread on many levels.

Hunting videos may never have another narrator with the skill of Mark Watts. The guy was amazing.

I wondered when he moved out to So. Cal.

If he hunted too much and lost the lust for it that is just sad. Fred Bear did the same darn thing, and that should be a lesson to ALL OF US!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ferd Bear, the hunter's hunter! Yes he lost the yearn to hunt!

I'm sorry to hear about a divorce as that always stinks. I seem to remember a recent piece about his family that seemed pretty perfect.

+1

Wow! Perhaps people saw some things/had some conversations with Mark I missed. I agree he was a little over the top/a showman in his videos, but he always seemed like a gentleman and passionate about hunting and shooting to me. Big things like divorce and death can have a profound affect on a person even if they do "have the passion". I've seen it with family. Hopefully he'll find his way back again.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
How about less piling on Mark and more donating to Stu:

http://forums.accuratereloadin...043/m/6921008291/p/1

Hate to break up the quilting gossip......

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
In addition to my family (both birth and married) I have had 4 consuming passions in my life - African Hunting, Firearms, Photography, and Airplanes. I have not hunted Africa since 2004 and quite sure I will never again. I have not piloted a plane in over 30 years save a couple of hours in the air 15 years ago. Have not built a rifle in 10 years (I attended TSJC in the 50's) and will build no more. Sold all my pro SLR's about 3 years ago as the arthritis got too bad to carry them. But in all those years since practicing I still stop and look up every time I hear an aircraft engine, bought a couple of guns within the last 6 months (one being a 458WinMag custom I shall probably never fire), I have a couple of Leica's and would like to use them. The passion on all levels still remains. I also have been divorced but I remarried and had a wonderful adopted family. I don't think the passion dies I think you personally have to kill it.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never met Marc, but we shared some pm's a couple of years ago that were personal in nature & he was very much a gentleman in our discussions.
He also hunted with Joof Lamprecht in 2009 about a month before I did. Joof thought very highly of him & Joof is very slow to compliment someone.
I love it here on AR, but it seems some can't pass up a chance to pile up on someone, even if they don't know them. And NO! I am not a fan of Marcs, just think he's a decent person & I would not mind meeting him & talking, just like I would many others here on AR.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
I had the distinct pleasure of sharing two camps with Marc Watts in 2006. I was hunting Jumbo in NG41 Joervega (sp) and Marc was hunting Lion out of Ivory camp in the Delta. We crossed paths twice and spoke a bit, as we switched camps.

Seemed to me, he was a complete gentleman, articulate, very well spoken and passionate.

As far as losing the passion, I have as well. I think I just need a few years away, the desire and the gut burning passion will return. Perhaps Marc will make a return as well. The sport is enriched by his participation.

frankly, I think I went too much. Up to 3 trips a year.

I am taking a couple year hiatus and focusing on my other passion, bicycle racing.

I as well must pontificate why forums in general seem to take any subject and find a way to make it a negative. Human nature I assume.

Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3408 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hunting is the only thing in life that I never lost interest in.It was all about having time off and being with friends in the outdoors-in nature and hunting!

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi George,

I spend huge amounts of time outside. I ride 12-20 hours a week. I am training for a three week mountain bike race. I will be outside plenty on this one Smiler

-------> www.tourdivide.org

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3408 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are times when it may have been stronger than others but the interest did never go away even if I could not go hunting for whatever reason.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nganga:
Hi George,

I spend huge amounts of time outside. I ride 12-20 hours a week. I am training for a three week mountain bike race. I will be outside plenty on this one Smiler

-------> www.tourdivide.org
That will keep you in shape!

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
I had the distinct pleasure of sharing two camps with Marc Watts in 2006. I was hunting Jumbo in NG41 Joervega (sp) and Marc was hunting Lion out of Ivory camp in the Delta. We crossed paths twice and spoke a bit, as we switched camps.

Seemed to me, he was a complete gentleman, articulate, very well spoken and passionate.

As far as losing the passion, I have as well. I think I just need a few years away, the desire and the gut burning passion will return. Perhaps Marc will make a return as well. The sport is enriched by his participation.

I am taking a couple year hiatus and focusing on my other passion, bicycle racing.

I as well must pontificate why forums in general seem to take any subject and find a way to make it a negative. Human nature I assume.

Steve

Maybe Robert Wilde will tell us about Marc...I think he knew him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36719 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some folks have an interest of the month so to speak and it is never really a passion.
I have witnessed hunting, horses, sports cars, airplanes, drag racing, competitive shooting, photography, raising cattle etc.

It is often good to catch them when they get out of your passion. I once got a pair of Remington 40X BRs for $100 each like that.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
quote:

Steve

Maybe Robert Wilde will tell us about Marc...I think he knew him.

WTF?

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR4759:
Some folks have an interest of the month so to speak and it is never really a passion.
I have witnessed hunting, horses, sports cars, airplanes, drag racing, competitive shooting, photography, raising cattle etc.

It is often good to catch them when they get out of your passion. I once got a pair of Remington 40X BRs for $100 each like that.

If you're talking about my loss of gut burning passion, It's not the passion of the month. I did over 30 safaris in 15 years. Just need a break.

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
who is Robert Wilde?? i am too lazy to do a google search

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13183 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by SR4759:

If you're talking about my loss of gut burning passion, It's not the passion of the month. I did over 30 safaris in 15 years. Just need a break.

Hell I wouldn't need the break, but my bank account would. Mind you that would be a lot sooner than 30 in 15 years. Smiler

What has happened with Marc Watts is really not that unusual. Look no further than James Mellon.

Having said that I think I have to agree with boar killers post. Pretty much sums it up.

I know when I have been guiding for a couple of months the last thing I want to do is go hunting when I get a break from clients....... for at least a day or two.Smiler

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1814 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bwana Mojo....what about that "Cool African Name" you gave yourself?

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
What has happened with Marc Watts is really not that unusual. Look no further than James Mellon.

Absolutely no comparison!

Mellon made more of a contribution to the sport than Marc Watts. His book "African Hunter" which needs no introduction, is probably the most comprehensive piece of hunting literature ever to be printed:

"James Mellon has excellent photography of every animal discussed, and he usually describes what constituted a "book class" or trophy animal during the time he hunted. There are also interesting historical notes, and the book is a good, factual read, not a "Capstick Thriller".

"Without a doubt the most informative book on hunting big game in Africa. This huge volume has over 500 pages filled with photos & maps".

Cannot say half as much for Mr. Watts other than having had a good time when he was in the field.

One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fujotupu:
quote:

Absolutely no comparison!

Mellon made more of a contribution to the sport than Marc Watts. His book "African Hunter" which needs no introduction, is probably the most comprehensive piece of hunting literature ever to be printed:

"James Mellon has excellent photography of every animal discussed, and he usually describes what constituted a "book class" or trophy animal during the time he hunted. There are also interesting historical notes, and the book is a good, factual read, not a "Capstick Thriller".

"Without a doubt the most informative book on hunting big game in Africa. This huge volume has over 500 pages filled with photos & maps".

Cannot say half as much for Mr. Watts other than having had a good time when he was in the field.

Uhm, I was not comparing what he contributed to the sport or the books he wrote, but thanks for that. I feel so much better educated now.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1814 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Marc is currently working for the NFL network as director of on air media talent. I was sorry to hear that he was no longer hunting. I am saddened anytime a hunter leaves the foal, especially one who brought a different perspective and opinion to the sport.

The danger of civilization, of course, is that you will piss away your life on nonsense

Posts: 781 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 22 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nganga, have you sold all your guns and trophies? I heard the same a Saeed - for his "career moves he wanted" he had to cut ties with the likes of us (hunters) and become much more PC. This is fine but don't try to spread butter on dry bread to make it taste better.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
DOJ,

No,
I have not. I'm not "Out of the game" just need a break. I continue to write, my new Trophy Room will be in the next volume of "Great Hunters Their Trophy Rooms and Collections."

I am still fishing in South America a couple times a year as well. Just thinking yesterday after this thread came up, What is it...probably a lot of it in my case is simply race preparation and single minded focus.

I do find it interesting that Marc would do those things. He was filming "Delta Royale" when we were in Botswana at the same time.

AND...I've never sold a gun. (a quality gun)

Smiler

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Just an observation here, nothing more. Also it is an observation about humans in general, not just hunters.

I have had a lot of opportunity to study people. One aspect that repeats itself continually is that as people age their interests in various aspects of their life change or modify. Some gradually or only slightly, some radically.

A lot of these changes are brought about by changes in work/socio-economic peer group/family-marital status and personal health just to mention a few.

I have sold off some of my rifles, simply because I no longer hunt as much as I did, I have no real need to try and maintain guns I no longer use.

The flip side of that is that the guns I have kept, I do all my hunting with those because they were my favorites out of all my guns and I just don't like the idea of a gun setting around collecting dust.

Personally I am also in a situation where I have the opportunity to shoot at something daily coyotes/cottontails/rattlesnakes, doves and waterfowl in season, deer and feral hogs. I shoot only does or an occasional spike and the hogs I prefer to leave for clients or friends.

However, after going thru a period in the mid eighties following a divorce I did get away from hunting, but thankfully got back into it.

The point I am getting at is that humans simply change over time and among those changes, some will be minor and some will be a complete 180 degree radical about face.

From observations, the more involved a person is with an activity, usually the more radical the change. Just opinions and observations.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Personally, I think Steve (Nganga) makes a good point. Sometimes a guy just needs a break from some things. I talked to Marc quite a lot a few years ago, seemed passionate about hunting to me? But I do believe his motives were two-fold, IMO. Nothing wrong with that.

Like Steve, I have done a ton of safaris in the past 15 yrs - 32 to be exact. I do have a 21-day lion/leopard/buff hunt booked in May 2014, but other than that - my African bug has subsided a bit and I am now much more interested in completing my N.A. 30! Africa will always be my first love, but for now - I just seem more interested in other things.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My passion for hunting Africa has definitely cooled off in a big way. One lousy hunt and the BS that followed made me see the light. If I was in a financial situation that would have allowed me to simply shrug it off, it probably wouldn't have hurt so much but I'm not and it stung really BAD.

I simply don't see myself scraping and working my ass off to put that amount of money towards another DG hunt anytime soon. The risk of another shitty hunt is simply not worth the reward to me right now.

However things change and there may well be a time when I am ready to go do it again. That was DG hunt number 6 for me and I've done plenty of plains game hunting too. I guess the way to describe it is that my passion went from a burning desire to a distant glowing ember. I still have an interest but I'm simply not all fired up to go anymore.

If I were to go to Africa anytime soon it would be about taking my kids over and letting them swat a pile of plains game. They both love hunting and they both shoot very well.

At the moment I'd be far more excited to do a Bighorn or a Dall sheep hunt if I was hunting for myself.