New
Find
Notify
Tools

who can make gun slips -elephant
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Not sure where to ask this but it has to do with some elephant skin from my last bull. I had it tanned a chocolate brown and would like to have a high quality gun slip made for my double. Anyone know who does that type of work?

Appreciate all advice. PM me if you wish.

York, SC

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Dick Murray of Murray Custom Leather:

http://www.murraycustomleather.com/

Dick will charge you the same price he sells the same case for with his leather. In other words if he charges $350 for a case with his leather, he will do the same case with your leather for the same price. He has made me three cases, two with elephant and one with buffalo. They are outstanding! I have no reservations recommending him.

This thread has some pics of the buffalo case, cartridge belt and knife case he did for me.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...=996105938#996105938

Mike

Posts: 21520 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dick will charge you the same price he sells the same case for with his leather.

Why?

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Yeah, Murray does good work.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19354 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't care how good he is. If I paid the trophy fee, the shipping and the tanning, I wouldn't pay full fare. Guess I'll never have one.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jetdrvr:
I don't care how good he is. If I paid the trophy fee, the shipping and the tanning, I wouldn't pay full fare. Guess I'll never have one.

bingo

Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also recommend Dick murray

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
jetdrvr & Will,

Damn.....you two guys seem awful tight with your money. I mean c'mon, if you had paid the tens of thousands of dollars to kill a nice bull elephant.....you honestly wouldn't pay a couple hundred to have a custom case made from YOUR elephant? To me it's worth paying the full price just because it's YOUR elephant and when people ask, you can tell them it's made from YOUR elephant.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3108 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eland Slayer:
jetdrvr & Will,

Damn.....you two guys seem awful tight with your money. I mean c'mon, if you had paid the tens of thousands of dollars to kill a nice bull elephant.....you honestly wouldn't pay a couple hundred to have a custom case made from YOUR elephant? To me it's worth paying the full price just because it's YOUR elephant and when people ask, you can tell them it's made from YOUR elephant.

It makes perfect sense that they charge the same when using your leather. Often customer supplied leather is not processed to the same standard as the leather the professional has sourced. Because it may be too thick or not as flexible it may require more work.

Most manufacturers don't offer a discount for customer supplied leather. They do save a few bucks on materials but this provides a measure of insurance against the extra work that may be involved. If they did offer a discount the trade-off would be that they would have to contact a percentage of their customers to ask them to pay for the extra work that is involved in working with their inferior leather.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted Hide Post
Would seem the other alternative is to find someone else that could do the work for the "right" amount of money with "your" hide ---do not know who that would be but if you had a form to follow --- any good saddle shop should be able to get r' done.
G

OMG!-- my bow is "pull-push feed" - how dreadfully embarrasing!!!!!

Posts: 932 | Location: 8K Ft in Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Hey, I ain't whining about paying full price, I was whining about jetdrvr whining about paying full price. Have we got the whining where whining is due now?

It would probably be one thing if the game hide was tanned properly, treated properly, without holes, etc.

But as soon as the maker sends whatever out made with the game hide, the dude would probably start whining about something. A lot of guys won't mess with others hides. And he feels obligated to back up his work so there is more whining.

Send it to Murray Leather. He doesn't whine and does good work.

I'm all whined out. (You wish).

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
Haha.....sorry about that Will. I took your previous post to mean that you agreed with jetdrvr. I apologize.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3108 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of miles58
posted Hide Post
Try J W Hulme in St Paul Minnesota. The make the best cases I have seen. Might be a little pricey, but if you want first rate work they can do it.

Dave

Posts: 961 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
Simon Aardema in Salt Lake City, Utah.

(801) 968-3337

Best holster, belt, and saddle work I have ever seen and the prices are damned reasonable. He will build it exactly as you request with no exceptions. You know his work is top shelf because he also does a lot of custom work for other companies that re-label the stuff as their own.