New
Find
Notify
Tools

We are plunging in.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Lois said that she felt the time was right to start making "African" ammunition on a commercial basis. The paperwork goes into the ATF in two weeks; we should be doing some production by May first, and increasing output by July first.

We'll be concentrating first on the obvious cartridges: 9.3x62, 9.3x64, 375 H&H, 416 Rigby, Taylor and Remington, 404 Jeffery, 458 Winchester and Lott.

We have North Fork softs and solids for those calibers, as well as Woodleigh, Swift (softs only), Partitions (softs only) and Barnes. We have a fair amount of Fail Safe in .375 and .338. We will be able to load some of the European cartridges as well.

Our primary aim is to make straight, safe and accurate ammunition. Also realistic ammunition; for example, do to available powder space we load the 9.3x62 with only up to a 250 grain bullet with the North Fork. 404J will be offered in modern and traditional loadings.

Our test ammunition has been fired by many different shooters with different firearms. Their reports were what we had hoped for - "Boring, the ammo shoots were I point the gun and the bullets do their advertised job". Brass brand will vary based on straightness and availability. RWS or Norma for the metrics and whatever will work well for American cartridges. If you plan on having us reload your brass after the season I'll do my best to find Lapua in that chambering.

The other nice feature is that we will offer a line of practice ammunition. Less recoil, and a less expensive bullet to get practice with your big bore of choice. On large capacity/meant for cordite cartridges (e.g. the 416 Rigby) we can either fill it up with a bulky, slow burning powder or use RL-15 and dacron or foam as a spacer. The main difference will be one of recoil.

I don't know enough about loading for double rifles yet, so those calibers won't be available until next year. Again, all hinges on the chemo; I'm still weak as a kitten.

Thank you, lawndart

PS My ear is always open to advice and desires, so feel free to send a PM.

PSS Thank You one and all for your humbling generosity. The package will be at the Dallas SCI booth of African Hunter. Also see my post in the Miscellaneous board.

Post edited for spelling and to emphasize the timeline depends on the chemo results and availability.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Hey C, sounds like a great enterprise! patriot

~Ann

Posts: 19171 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lawndart...do you or are you going to have a website?

Woody

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of namibiahunter
posted Hide Post
Great! Another source for .416 Taylor. Looking forward to you website getting up.

Namibiahunter

Posts: 665 | Location: Oregon or Namibia | Registered: 13 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Best of luck to you. Please post again when you get up and running.

Posts: 247 | Location: Round Rock, Texas | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have to pay for the chemo first. The web site will start on July one. I'm very pleased with the latest Norma brass. Right on specs.

One thing to think about is the weatherby loadings. I'm setting those moderately below factory rounds. Imagine, suddenly you won't have broken eyeglasses or a horrible flinch, and you don't need to pound the bolt handle with a rock between shots. In fact with the newer .37" of freebore the pressures will be lower and safer than a 300 win mag, etc.

Cheers

Thanks Ann

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I wish you every success!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Best of luck! Such a start-up in these times takes a set. I'm sure most here will be behind you though and that's quite a start!
Keep us posted.

An old man sleeps with his conscience, a young man sleeps with his dreams.

Posts: 777 | Location: United States | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is the best bunch of hunters and shooters that I have ever been around. This site has shortened my learning curve by many years.

Everything depends on the chemo, I but really hope and plan to be able to give something back to the community.

LD

one of us
posted Hide Post
Awesome guy I look forward to using your products.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thoughts and prayers for the chemo....we'll wait for the ammo.

Best of luck on both.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
lawndart ----- Congrats on guts you will need them your new venture. Glad to see you are using North Forks, IMO the best bullet built in America. Good luck and good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2350 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
lawndart,

All my best in your chemo treatments and your business venture. You are class all the way! clap

John

There are those that do, those that dream, and those that only read about it and then post their "expertise" on AR!

Posts: 831 | Location: Mount Vernon, WA | Registered: 18 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good luck on the chemo and on the startup. Takes some courage to begin a new business these days, but if you produce quality stuff, you'll do alright. What with copper prices in the cellar, hopefully the prices will be reasonable.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Can you provide a linky to your ammunition factory website?

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Lawndart, sounds great.
Now all you have to do is gear up to load .395 Max ammunition! Roll Eyes Wink

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Does anyone factory load ammo in 9.3x74R with a solid bullet? I can't find a factory load and that's a pity as the caliber is a good one, useful for everything, and for ele you need solids.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2928 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Been a couple years, but I got Woodleigh solids for my 9.3 from Midway. Then, it was item #549540.

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1696 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Good luck!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote