Notify
Tools

Hippo and rhino
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted
Gents:
When discussing hunting the "Big Five" is it acceptable to substitute hippo for rhino?
Just curious as so few will ever hunt rhino.
Cheers, all.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cal,

This very same suggestion was brought up in the past and the general consensus was in agreement, in fact someone even proposed chucking Croc into the fray as well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As true big 5 hunting evaporates seems like hippo is replacing elephant/rhino and croc replacing lion.

Posts: 1920 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
I have had more shit with Hippo than all the other four put together.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9956 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my opinion, no. Hippo is not one of the big five and given that it is so easy to pot one from the riverbank, it really shouldn't be.

However, your hunting goals and desires are your own.

I will agree that dry land hunting them and getting close is exciting, and dangerous, but really the old definitions have meaning, and from a traditionalists position it is not. Having now shot both, Rhino did give me more of a sense of testing myself than even my dry land hippo, but my hunt was fortunate that it was more a hunt than a Rhino execution.

Croc is absolutely not, again IMO. There is no real risk to a hunter with them, except losing a trophy fee because you didn't anchor it right. While a mankiller, it really has no element of danger in hunting one.

Again, just my opinion, but until such time as no one can hunt rhino legally, I would not suggest that the big five is anything other than Lion, Leopard, Buffalo, Elephant and Rhino. If some are removed, then it becomes the big 3 or whatever. Adding Croc and Hippo substitution just makes it the same as SCI's Dangerous Animals of Africa... which apparently is rather negatively thought of by the powers that be around here.

I have no issue with it, but it is what it is.

Posts: 10995 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jan Dumon
posted Hide Post
The big five is what it is. I don't think we should be substituting. Hippo and croc have their own place. By substituting we are fooling ourselves and/or chasing a Big 5 award . Hippo can be as dangerous , if not more than the big Five when hunted on land , and its great sport to do so , but its not one of the Big Five.
In the end , to each his own .

Jan Dumon
Professional Hunter& Outfitter
www.shumbasafaris.com

+27 82 4577908

Posts: 774 | Location: Greater Kruger - South Africa | Registered: 10 August 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No, but you can include the hippo in the Dangerous 7. As Jan says, the Big Five is what it is.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Anymore, it is just big 4 as rhino hunting is not rhino hunting in traditional sense anymore
Hippo and croc?
It is just that, hippo and croc hunting
This Big 7 is just feeble effort to make something out of regular hunt
Marketing maybe?

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Yes you can if the Hippo is transgender and claims to have had his "horn" removed! Big Grin

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11221 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boarkiller:
Anymore, it is just big 4 as rhino hunting is not rhino hunting in traditional sense anymore
Hippo and croc?
Marketing maybe?

Hi Milan.

I wouldn't go as far as to claim Rhino darting to not be hunting. You must be extraordinary close, nothing between you and the Rhino and you have to hit him in the proper place.

Had I been using a DR, my Rhino hunt would have been dull and non-eventful. As it was, it was very exciting. I would do it again.

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3536 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
My guess, when the notion of the Big Five was originated and the rhino was included, that was with the black rhino in mind. I think having white rhino, whether hunted or darted, considered one of the Big Five is a bit of a stretch. In my view hippo is probably more dangerous than white rhino. I have no desire to hunt or dart a white rhino . . . darting a black rhino would be interesting.

Mike

Posts: 21692 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Technically traditional big 5 hunting hanging on by a thread with 3 black rhino permits in Namibia and maybe a couple in SA.

Posts: 1920 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Ahrenberg:
quote:
Originally posted by boarkiller:
Hippo and croc?
Marketing maybe?

Hi Milan.

I wouldn't go as far as to claim Rhino darting to not be hunting. You must be extraordinary close, nothing between you and the Rhino and you have to hit him in the proper place.

Had I been using a DR, my Rhino hunt would have been dull and non-eventful. As it was, it was very exciting. I would do it again.

Agree Steve

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
My guess, when the notion of the Big Five was originated and the rhino was included, that was with the black rhino in mind. I think having white rhino, whether hunted or darted, considered one of the Big Five is a bit of a stretch. In my view hippo is probably more dangerous than white rhino. I have no desire to hunt or dart a white rhino . . . darting a black rhino would be interesting.

Do sleeping lionesses count as the "Lion" part of the Big 5?

Wink

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3536 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Oops, we stumbled on to a sensitive issue apparently. My apologies, I am sure your white rhino . . . hunt . . . was unforgettable. Wink

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Oops, we stumbled on to a sensitive issue apparently. My apologies, I am sure your white rhino . . . hunt . . . was unforgettable. Wink

Hmmm, have you done one?

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
My apologies, I am sure your white rhino . . . hunt . . . was unforgettable. Wink

Just another fine example of hunters sticking together. I believe it is a legal "hunt" (as you call it) to dart a Rhino just as it was at one time legal to shoot sleeping Lionesses' in Zim.

Steve, did you put your Rhino darting on youtube?

Cheers
Jim

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Perhaps we shall call the AR court to order and do a poll thread."Which offers more potential excitement, shooting a sleeping lioness or darting a White Rhino?"

What say you?

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
"Let's not get sidetracked by the square-lipped rhino, for although he has made an astonishing comeback as a species, he's not really a very menacing or challenging game animal. In fact, the records of Zululand, the territory of his southern range where he has traditionally been in greatest evidence, show that only four people have been clumsy enough to have gotten fatally in his way. He's the second largest of the land animals on earth but about as dangerous under unprovoked circumstances as a defanged Yorkshire terrier."

John H. Batton
Hunting the African Rhino

My point was simply that a white rhino is the not the rhino typically regarded as being worthy of inclusion in the Big Five. Hardly a remarkable statement since hunters for decades have made similar observations. If you feel differently, God bless you.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Big Five were a DG category for a reason to British explorers and white hunters. These were going to try and kill you, especially when injured. Traditionally the rhino were black but having been charged by a cavlary of 6 white rhino abreast it seems like semantics. But the black with calf that charged us once came from very close without warning, since they are typically in thick bush. Fortunately
With the whites we got into some thorn trees
in time...rather thorns than horns!

How about the Lesser Dangerous Five to add up to the Terrible Ten. Here s my vote for 3 from the water ... Hippo, croc, and Great White Shark
Plus hyena ( they kill more in Zim than the other Big 5 annually and a boy at Crocodile Bridge in Kruger just his face badly mauled but survived) and snakes, especially mambas. Add in insects you have the Terrible Twelve with malaria and sleeping sickness.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A pissed off hippo is perhaps even more formidable than a rhino. Much as I hate to admit it, I fear the Big 5 will have to be reevaluated from time to time just like the so-called 7 wonders of the world.

One of Us
Picture of Sarg
posted Hide Post
Just did a PAC Hippo Bull hunt by myself at night on land & it was right up there with Ele
Far more scary then shooting a poor old White Rino

Posts: 461 | Location: New Zealand - Australia - South Africa | Registered: 14 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since we are playing definition games for those who want to change things, what would you call the big 5 if elephant, lion, leopard, rhino and croc are all banned...which is possible given the current state of the world?

My point being that definitions are what they are.

While black rhino was the most common rhino hunted in days of yore, and truly is more dangerous... The old timers didn't say "black rhino" they said rhino... And in those days people were much more erudite and tended to say exactly what they meant in writing.

I will say that of the 3 hippo I hunted, only one was a pulse raising experience. The rhino had me concerned for a while also. And yes, it was a white rhino. I have also been chased by both black and white rhino in Zimbabwe...the white was our fault as we knew he was there and thought he didn't care. The black just was being a black rhino... I don't care what folks say about honey badger, Rhino really don't give a shit about anything.

Posts: 10995 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:
Since we are playing definition games for those who want to change things, what would you call the big 5 if elephant, lion, leopard, rhino and croc are all banned...which is possible given the current state of the world?

My point being that definitions are what they are.

While black rhino was the most common rhino hunted in days of yore, and truly is more dangerous... The old timers didn't say "black rhino" they said rhino... And in those days people were much more erudite and tended to say exactly what they meant in writing.

I will say that of the 3 hippo I hunted, only one was a pulse raising experience. The rhino had me concerned for a while also. And yes, it was a white rhino. I have also been chased by both black and white rhino in Zimbabwe...the white was our fault as we knew he was there and thought he didn't care. The black just was being a black rhino... I don't care what folks say about honey badger, Rhino really don't give a shit about anything.

As I usually do, I agree with your post. Since I decided I wanted to hunt the "Big 5" It wasn't Lion, Leopard, Buffalo, Elephant and Hippo. It included Rhino. I didn't make the list up, it is what it is.

Since a Black Rhino wasn't really an option for darting I chose a White Rhino.

Further, I would be willing to bet a large sum of money, that all the members whom are scoffing off Rhino, have not completed the Big 5. No apologies. I'm rather proud of it. I'm a Lion and a Rhino away from a double.

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I remember a lot of ink bitching over weather a white rhino counted toward the big five.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
I remember a lot of ink bitching over weather a white rhino counted toward the big five.

Could you point me in the direction of that information?

Formerly "Nganga"

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
I have had more shit with Hippo than all the other four put together.

................ tu2 I love hunting Hippo in the thick bush at dawn along the river when they return to the water for the day! Can get dicey at times! Eeker
However the big five are, in reality, the big four now, because the black Rhino is, for all practical purposes, gone to the happy hunting grounds! When an animal gets to the point where the permits are so rare that they come at close to one million dollars, I say they are no longer a hunt but a BUY!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Perhaps we shall call the AR court to order and do a poll thread."Which offers more potential excitement, shooting a sleeping lioness or darting a White Rhino?"

What say you?

.............Heah comes de Judge! Big Grin

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I did a cursory search and found that there are several post about it.

I remember the post from a while back, don't think we have seen anything recently though.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I did a cursory search and found that there are several post about it.

I remember the post from a while back, don't think we have seen anything recently though.

I thought you might post a link or something to support the statement. Roll Eyes

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:

What say you?

Things are a bit slow entertainment wise what with NFL training camp still weeks away. Might be interesting to see the poll results. Big Grin

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
What is the number of people killed by truly wild white rhino in the wild hunting situation?

I am not talking about game ranches where the white rhino are monitored and see people on vehicles every day!

That should answer the question if the white rhino is a member of the Big 5 DANGEROUS game or not.

Yes the White Rhino is a valid and credible trophy but to substitute it for the black rhino in the Big 5 is a great injustice to the black rhino as a truly DANGEROUS animal.

In India the Big 4 would be the Tiger, Elephant, Leopard and the Asiatic water buffalo. Sorry the Asiatic lion, the Asiatic one horned rhino and the Gaur are not truly in that league as DANGEROUS animals.

You might argue that the Sloth bear can be added to the list along with the Himalayan black bear - that makes it the Indian Big 6 - but that is another debate.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nakihunter:
What is the number of people killed by truly wild white rhino in the wild hunting situation?

I am not talking about game ranches where the white rhino are monitored and see people on vehicles every day!

That should answer the question if the white rhino is a member of the Big 5 DANGEROUS game or not.

Yes the White Rhino is a valid and credible trophy but to substitute it for the black rhino in the Big 5 is a great injustice to the black rhino as a truly DANGEROUS animal.

In India the Big 4 would be the Tiger, Elephant, Leopard and the Asiatic water buffalo. Sorry the Asiatic lion, the Asiatic one horned rhino and the Gaur are not truly in that league as DANGEROUS animals.

You might argue that the Sloth bear can be added to the list along with the Himalayan black bear - that makes it the Indian Big 6 - but that is another debate.

"You're killing me smalls."

Naki, as respectfully as I can, I suggest you go get a few Safaris under your belt before you decide what should and shouldn't be part of the Big 5.

What are your thoughts on the tiny ten? are some not "tiny" enough?

Or the spiral horns? maybe the Elands should be removed since they are not true "spirals" but "twisted" in horn.

I personally don't know who designated what comprises the Big 5, but I don't believe it was SCI. Its been around a long time. It might be interesting to find out.

All I can say is, I wanted to complete the Big 5, so I darted a Rhino. It was fun and exciting. I got to complete the Big 5 and the Rhino got to get up and run off into Africa.

As far as danger goes, I've been the closest to an injury inflicted by an animal with a wounded Warthog. Next was a Red Lechwe in the Okavango Delta that I had to drown because I ran out of bullets. The Lion I killed was shot poorly but didn't make it all the way to myself and Alister Norton, but God damn close.

Perspective.

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Steve

This is a hypothetical debate and not one based on experience.

It is a fireside couch wank! So just chill.

I may not have hunted seriously in Africa but I have covered a lot of wild country in India and know what it is be charged by elephant cows at less than 10 feet. I've also been charged by a female sloth bear with cub.

Now with all your experience, are you saying that a white rhino is a serious DG in the same or similar class to the other dangerous 5 of the Big5?

BTW - nice Rhino & well done. Very cool!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No, I'm not saying that. I'm saying I wanted to complete the Big 5, period. I didn't decide to what to put in there. I simply completed the task. Perhaps you need to take Rowland & Ward to task.

And I believe it's "Wanker" Smiler

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So far, two have admitted to hunting rhino and say white rhino count (dart or kill); sounds like the experienced ones think so.

I freely admit that a dry land hippo can be dangerous, and is probably of similar technical difficulty as a rhino to kill, however, rhino are in my mind more unpredictable than hippo, if for no other reason than you can find them far from water and they can be so unpredictable. They also are somewhat larger.

A hippo hunt is a grand experience, and if you can, treat yourself to one, if done in dry land, you should not be disappointed in your hunt.

I could see how some of rhino hunts would be a disappointment, especially given the costs.

Nevertheless, as one who has shot both, the rhino is not a hippo, and the rhino is, "even" a white rhino, a potentially more dangerous customer at short range in the bush.

I paid my money and voted my conscience.

While there may be some selection bias, I doubt there are many who have done both that would consider the hippo a replacement for rhino in their own hunting. If you have shot all but rhino, and consider yourself to have taken the big 4, I have no arguement with you.

If you took buffalo, lion, leopard, elephant, and hippo, you did not shoot the big 5, but you have still lived a full hunting life, and done more than 99.99% of sport hunters.

As to whether or not the white rhino is the game animal the black rhino is, all I can say is both are agile, mobile, and if you get too close, hostile. Until one has been in there with both, I cannot see how one could say one is less than the other.

We should encourage legal hunting of both species to provide funds and habitat.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have no dog in this fight over whether the White or Black is the most aggressive of the two.

I can only comment on my experience (past) to Black Rhino as being highly volatile if you encroach upon its territory and will charge without much prompting.

Those with experience on both species tend to be of the opinion that the White Rhino is not so temperamental as its cousin.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree the white is not as aggressive, but then the white rhino is more aggressive than a hippo unless you get between the hippo and water. Get near a white rhino calf and Johnny bar the door, I am told...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get between any mother and her offspring and you will find grief; all depends on the size and disposition of the mother and retribution will be meted out in proportion.