New
Find
Notify
Tools

Credit card question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I live in Canada and am travelling to Namibia in August.

I know that if I use my credit card, the transactions are going to be either in US$ or N$. Then, the credit card company will charge me an exchange rate of 2.5% on all my purchases to convert to Cdn$.

I've got US$ accounts, but the credit card company won't let me pay in US$, I have to pay the conversion rate. Mad

Does anyone know a company where I, as a Canadian, can get a credit card that will bill me in US$??

The alternative is to take all of my funds in US$ travellers cheques, which have no exchange rate, but that's a lot of money to carry around.

Any other suggestions?

Posts: 2921 | Location: Canada | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the company you are hunting with has a US agent pay the biggest part of your fees up front before you head over. Then pay the smaller balance any way you like and it will not sting so much even if you have to pay a conversion fee.

We seldom get to choose
But I've seen them go both ways
And I would rather go out in a blaze of glory
Than to slowly rot away!

Posts: 1370 | Location: Shreveport,La.USA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wannabebwana,
CIBC has a US Dollar Visa, with a few other features like free travelers cheques. Worth a look. http://www.cibc.com/ca/visa/us-dollar-visa-card.html

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnCrighton
posted Hide Post
I'm using Capital One for my cc purchases in Namibia - they charge NO conversion or exchange fee.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat. - Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 555 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: 09 November 2007Reply With Quote