New
Find
Notify
Tools

.416 350gr TSX report
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I finally got a camera with a macro lens so I can post bullet pictures and add my data to the great "best bullet" debate. These are from a plains game hunt in May of 2007 in Namibia.

.416 Remington Magnum, 350 gr TSX at 2550 fps

From the left side:
1) unfired
2) gemsbok shoulder finishing shot at 10 yards
3) zebra 275 yards, entered thoracic inlet and found under skin by last rib
4) warthog 50 yards, entered forehead and found under skin on rump
5) gemsbok 150 yards, high shoulder shot found under skin on off side

Posts: 308 | Location: Dallas,Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Can you weigh them for weight retention?

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Posts: 691 | Location: UTC+8 | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
I'm going to take a stab at the weight of the bullets..

first 350grs, 2nd 303grs, 3rd 345grs,
4th 340 grs., 5th 344 grs.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

I think your being conversative. I bet they are mostly 99% except for the obvious bullet that has lost petals.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
All I know is the Barnes is a great bullet. I've used Fail Safes, TBBC, TBSH, Hornady (solids and softs) as well as the Barnes in Africa, and I swear by the Barnes. My Buffalo, Hippo, Sable hunt this year will be with only Barnes (softs and solids) in the .458 Lott and the .375 H&H.

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Using my RCBS scale the weights are:

1) 350 grains, unfired
2) 295 grains, 2 petals missing
3) 345 grains, I can't see where it lost the 5 grains
4) 350 grains, I would have thought less but I double checked it
5) 348 grains

one of us
posted Hide Post
That is excellent performance fairly consistent with the manufacturer's claims.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Posts: 691 | Location: UTC+8 | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
I'll bet you had quite a few that expanded and then exited as well.

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2507 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
84% weight retention and blew off 2 petals?

man, they need to make 400 or 425 fr (1.2") .458 and .475 bullets

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kudu4u
posted Hide Post
Dr. Scott is this cartridge available commercially or did you load it? Thanks in advance.

"In these days of mouth-foaming Disneyism......"--- Capstick
Don't blame the hunters for what the poachers do!---me

Benefactor Member NRA

Posts: 477 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 13 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I handloaded these. The brass is Remington. The primers are CCI magnum. The powder is RL-15 (I think it is 82 grains but I don't have my records at work).

These 4 are the only bullets recovered out of the 15 that hit animals. All but one animal went down within 30 yards of where they stood when struck by the bullet. One gemsbok went about 100 yards.

one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
Excellent results you could not ask for better. thumb

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted Hide Post
Kudu4u- yes, Federal has the TSX ammo under their CapeShok brand. Don't know about the 350 grainer but I have used the 400 grain in my .416 and have the same results as Dr. Scott. It really is a terrific bullet!

John

Posts: 1143 | Location: Cody, WY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kudu4u
posted Hide Post
Thank you, I've used the 400gr as well even on small stuff with solids and been most pleased.

"In these days of mouth-foaming Disneyism......"--- Capstick
Don't blame the hunters for what the poachers do!---me

Benefactor Member NRA

Posts: 477 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 13 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 375 fanatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by retreever:
I'm going to take a stab at the weight of the bullets..

first 350grs, 2nd 303grs, 3rd 345grs,
4th 340 grs., 5th 344 grs.

Mike

Not bad can you try the lotto nrs for me

"Buy land they have stopped making it"- Mark Twain

Posts: 914 | Location: Burgersfort the big Kudu mekka of South Africa | Registered: 27 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
......Thank you for posting those ....Its fun seeing recovered bullets .....and reading the stories ....

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent results and it shows the effect of impact velocity at range on the bullets. Thanks for sharing.

Warrior

Posts: 2273 | Location: South of the Zambezi | Registered: 31 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Guillermo Amestoy
posted Hide Post
I used the same bullet (Barnes) in 7 mm Rem.Mag. factory PMP-DENNEL South african Ammo, 12 trophys taked from 40 to 570 yards, no bullet recovered, all trophys with exit hole !!! include blue wildesbest and Kudu.that bullet save me of lost a big cebra stalion from a missplaced shot at 470 yards in a windy day (passed trought boths femur bones and exit!!! ).Good Choice!!! Regards.

"Every ignored reallity prepares its revenge!"

Posts: 883 | Location: Provincia de Cordoba - Republica Argentina -Southamerica | Registered: 09 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill 5248
posted Hide Post
Dr. Scott, thanks for the pictures and the discussion. You and I shoot exactly the same load with the same powder and bullet. I find that the TSX may not be as indestructable as the origiinal Barnes-X, but the TSX more than makes up for that deficiency in accuracy. I use it on all game from impala right up to dangerous game. In a fast .416 you have all the range you need, and you carry knock-down power right out to the limit of your shooting ability. The .416 is in a class of its own.

Wherever I go, I always carry extra loads with 350 grain Barnes banded solids as well. If anything the banded solids are even more accurate. They can be used on heavy animals for penetration or on light animals for minimum skin damage. They have one other advantage too, they won't deflect no matter what they hit.

If you carry that combination of rounds with you I suspect you will need no other caliber while you are hunting Africa. On shots at Cape Buffalo I alternate TSX with Banded solids. You really need the penetration with that animal, especially on follow-up shots where you want it to penetrate rump to neck or stem to stern. On elephant I use 400 grain solids for maximum penetration with no deflection.

By the way, even the best bullet will do no good if you can't see the target. I have learned that (more often than not) I must remove my scope when hunting elephant because the range is too close and the scope (even at 1.5 power) will only confuse you as to where the gun is pointed. But the other great thing about a .416 is that open iron sights work great with it. I think you'll find out as I did that when you sight in with open sights you are a lot more accurate than you would have thought. You'll begin to trust your .416 and your shooting ability even more. Good hunting.

That which is not impossible is compulsory

Posts: 161 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought a bunch of 350 gr .416 original X bullets as they were being phased out for the TSX. My Rigby pushed them at 2700 fps and shoots them accurately.

Have taken Gemsbock, Hartebeast, Cape Buffalo and Bison with them. All but one bullet blew completely through.

On the Bison it was a perfect behind the leg shot. .416 entrance. Picked up a piece of rib and made a 3" exit. One shot, one kill.

The one recovered bullet was a followup shot of a Cape Buffalo on the ground. Could not see the Buf well and hit him in the right rump. The bullet squarely impacted the femor ... destroying it. The bullet then proceeded through the gut and the chest. It came to rest in the front wall of the chest. Penetration was something like 6 feet of Buf! By itself, it would have been a lethal shot.

The petals did blow off. So what! The retained weight was something like 70% ... about like a Nosler Partition.

I really like the 350 gr Barnes .416 bullet. It just works. The TSX is just gonna be better.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote