THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    SCI on OOA from SCI's "In The Crosshairs"

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SCI on OOA from SCI's "In The Crosshairs"
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I thought this might be of interest........
==================================================

Arrested Poaching Gang

“Dawie Groenewald, owner of Out of Africa Adventure Safaris company, and his wife, Sariette, were arrested on Monday in South Africa, for allegedly being the masterminds behind an illegal rhino poaching gang. Nine other people, including veterinarians and hunters, were also arrested for poaching. The gang appeared before a magistrate in South Africa on Wednesday, which is ironically also the day declared International Rhino Day by the World Wildlife Fund (WWF). The case was postponed until April 11, 2011, after Groenewald reportedly posted bail of about one million rand, with the others paying less.” (Source: AllAfrica.com) http://bit.ly/cVOsYN.

· The arrest of Dawie Groenewald in the USA in January 2010 and the subsequent conviction in a U.S. court could have led to an internal SCI Ethics Investigation and subsequent expulsion from SCI. Both brothers resigned from SCI before SCI could investigate their conduct. Additionally, Out of Africa Adventurous Safaris has officially been denied entrance at all future Safari Club International Conventions in the USA.

Rich Elliott

Rich Elliott
Ethiopian Rift Valley Safaris

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The obvious question being "What took you so long??!!!!!!!! Roll Eyes

Posts: 2921 | Location: Canada | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WannabeBwana:
The obvious question being "What took you so long??!!!!!!!! Roll Eyes

SCI would STILL be supporting these thugs if they have not been charged in South Africa.

How many years now members have been bringing this to their attention and they kept turning a blind eye?

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67433 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SCI never enough in some peoples eyes.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Die Ou Jagter:

Welcome back! Smiler

SCI is doing PLENTY of damage to the hunting community by supporting the likes of these guys for so long, despite all the evidence to the contrary.

Posts: 67433 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you look at my last post in "SCI E BLAST", I found that despite the statement that OOA will no longer be allowed as an exhibitor, THEY ARE STILL LISTED AS AN EXHIBITOR IN THE JAN CONVENTION.
I guess the SCI "leaders" don't control the convention.

Bob

DRSS
DSC
SCI
NRA & ISRA

Posts: 551 | Location: Northern Illinois,US | Registered: 13 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
bobgrow,

Can you help me find Out of Africa listed as an exhibitor?

They were removed after the arrests in the US many months ago and have not returned, they are also not listed on the ranking placement list where they previously were in the top 10 or so.

I can't see them included anywhere.

Les

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
as of the last issue i received of "Safari Times, they were still advertising there. i realize that publication deadlines mean the issue goes to press probably a month before actual publication for a newspaper formatted magazine, but it is inexcusable that SCI was still allowing their ads to appear 6 plus months after a felony conviction of a company principal. i have been a long time and vociferous backer of SCI, but this is ridiculous!!. i am now researching the DSC convention with an eye to cancelling my SCI membership and going to Dallas in Jan. when you look at this sorry example of ethical hunting and combine it with the previously well documented example of Mike Simpson( former SCI president) and Dan Duncan( multiple SCI record book entrant) shooting moose and sheep from a chopper in Russia( oops, we didn't know it was illegal- nevermind the ethics involved !) there is no way to continue to put up with this bullshit. Kevin Anderson is the President -elect of SCI and the lawyer for these crooks. can you spell conflict of interest boys and girls? the blowback for SCI is building to a tsunamai. DOJ get your head out of the sand and take a stand for ethical hunting with reputable outfitters.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13239 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with jdollar. My membership has lapsed and I will not be renewing it.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Die Ou Jagter:

The comments in the various threads haven't been a criticism of SCI as a whole. Just of the people involved in the issue such as the upper echelons who make the decisions about who is and is not allowed into the convention and the ethics committee and how it may or may not tie in with the rhino poaching case etc.

I appreciate you're passionate about the organisation but rather than come out swinging, maybe you could instead tell us how you feel about the issues at hand and that have been discussed in the various threads on the rhino poaching case, how it may or may not tie in with those upper echelons and ethics committee members etc and how you feel it might affect the organisation and what you think they should do about the issue?

Here's links to what I see as 2 of the more pertinent threads.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...221065141#7221065141

http://forums.accuratereloadin...043/m/2061059041/p/1

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
FWIW, Carte Blanche which is the biggest consumer programme here has a piece about the rhino poaching tonight.

The programme is broadcast at 1900 central Africa time and I'd have thought it'd be available online.

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
An hour to go before they screen it and I think if you go here: http://beta.mnet.co.za/carteblanche/?ShowId=1 and the put your cursor on 'VIDEOS' and click the appropriate link, you may well be able to view the programme.

One of Us
Picture of leopards valley safaris
posted Hide Post
Will be watching. . . what goes around comes around just so sorry its taken so long for these buggers to get caught. popcorn
In 2006 they where apparently involved with illegal lion hunting in hwange national park in zim. the local where telling me they shot a collared lion then buried the collar???
Confused

Dave Davenport
Outfitters license HC22/2012EC
Pro Hunters license PH74/2012EC
www.leopardsvalley.co.za
dave@leopardsvalley.co.za
+27 42 24 61388
HUNT AFRICA WHILE YOU STILL CAN
Follow us on FACEBOOK https://www.facebook.com/#!/leopardsvalley.safaris

Posts: 980 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 06 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnHunt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lhook7:

As mine

Posts: 1678 | Registered: 16 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guess you all will just have to miss out on all the fun at the Convention and making worthwhile contributions to hunting via the local Chapters undertakings. Enjoy your tiddlewink games.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

quote:
Originally posted by JohnHunt:
quote:
Originally posted by Lhook7:

As mine

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry,

I do not share your certainty that contributions to this organization are worthwhile. I will continue to have fun at DSC and will continue to make worthwhile contributions there. I cannot personally reconcile giving money to an organization that supports and protects wholesale poaching.

I do not know how to play tiddlewink, and I also lack the capacity for the level of self delusion that must be required to convince oneself that continuing to support this organization is good for the future of hunting.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LHook7,

not to be cross, but can you point out a few programs in Africa that DSC is sponsoring? I have trouble finding them.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ISS,

Try to find out where SCI spends its money in Africa. You won't find much, as has been documented on this site for years. The list is about the same for DSC.

Bill

Posts: 1088 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by llamapacker:
ISS,

Try to find out where SCI spends its money in Africa. You won't find much, as has been documented on this site for years. The list is about the same for DSC.

Bill

For DSC see theirWeb Site

...Africa?...Not so much.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I’m with Sellers on this one. To jump ship from SCI until all the evidence is in is as shallow minded as those who quit the NRA because they get tired of all the mailings. The work SCI does at the CITES meetings alone is reason enough to continue membership. Keep the big picture in mind.

Tom

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
what evidence do you need? Groenwald admitted to and was convicted of a Lacey Act felony months ago and his membership was continued(as well as his large, expensive ads in SCI publications) right up until a few weeks ago. i guess it helps to have the president-elect as your lawyer.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
what evidence do you need? Groenwald admitted to and was convicted of a Lacey Act felony months ago and his membership was continued(as well as his large, expensive ads in SCI publications) right up until a few weeks ago. i guess it helps to have the president-elect as your lawyer.

I think we should look further than that.

Wasn't Out of African banned from hunting in Zimbabae years ago because of their illegal activities?

Why hasn't that raised a red flag for their supporters in SCI?

Why has SCI not listened to any of the numerous complaints about Out of Africa?

How come several of SCI management continue to "hunt" with Out of Africa?

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10096 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:

Thanks Mike,

Absolutely perfect display of what SCI management has been doing.

One of Us
Picture of Stephen Palos
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
FWIW, Carte Blanche which is the biggest consumer programme here has a piece about the rhino poaching tonight.

The programme is broadcast at 1900 central Africa time and I'd have thought it'd be available online.

The bit on rhino poaching was an absolute dissapointment like much of how Carte Blance cover stuff, but I'm glad I watched because later in the show there was someting on what is a really great initiative bY AR's very own Saeed al Maktoum! I cannot see any other reference to it here so I have added a link in a more appropriate AR board.

See:

Dubai Dessert Conservation Reserve

http://www.bigbore.org/
http://www.chasa.co.za

Addicted to Recoil !
I hunt because I am human. Hunting is the expression of my humanity...

Posts: 441 | Location: Randfontein, South Africa | Registered: 07 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I reckon the story has a LOT further to go yet. Eeker

The expression tip of the iceberg springs to mind. Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve I agree completely. Everyone who is "proven guilty in Court" on this Rhino poaching scheme should get the max regardless of who they are or who they are involved with.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
I reckon the story has a LOT further to go yet. Eeker

The expression tip of the iceberg springs to mind. Wink

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Mate, I reckon we'll still see a fair more number of arrests on both sides of the pond AND very possibly charges that go FAR beyond rhino poaching. Eeker

You know the old saying about sowing the wind and reaping the whirlwind.

I also wouldn't be too suprised if F&WS investigate or have already investigated a number of people who have no idea whatsoever they've done something wrong and those people will genuinely have my sympathy if and when F&WS start crowing about ignorance being no excuse.

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
IGNORANCE IS NOT AN EXCUSE(SEE MY EARLIER POST ABOUT MIKE SIMPSON AND DAN DUNCAN- ETHICS VERSUS THE "APPEARANCE" OF LEGALITY).