THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Did Dawie Groenewald just get busted for Rhino Poaching???
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Did Dawie Groenewald just get busted for Rhino Poaching???
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Alan Bunn
posted
I just received word from South Africa that SCI 'darling' Dawie Groenewald was arrested yesterday and charged with being one of the ringleaders in the rhino poaching syndicate that supposedly killed 'hundreds' of rhinos.

Can anyone independently verify if this previously convicted poacher and alleged extortionist was one of the six other people arrested with Dr. Karel Toet, Marisa Toet, and Dr. Manie du Plessis?

Rhino poaching - Vets arrested

Cheers,

~Alan

Cheers,

~ Alan

Life Member NRA
Life Member SCI

email: editorusa(@)africanxmag(dot)com

African Expedition Magazine: http://www.africanxmag.com/

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/alan.p.bunn

Twitter: http://twitter.com/EditorUSA

Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. ~Keller

To be persuasive we must be believable; to be believable we must be credible; to be credible we must be truthful. ~ Murrow

Posts: 1112 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 09 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Bloody hell!!!

Alan,

Please keep me informed!

ledvm@msn.com

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37886 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Alan Bunn
posted Hide Post
I just got a second report that they not only arrested Dawie, but also his wife Sariette.

I'll bet there are some nervous Americans hoping none of them decides to cut a deal. Cool

~ Alan

Cheers,

~ Alan

Life Member NRA
Life Member SCI

Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. ~Keller

To be persuasive we must be believable; to be believable we must be credible; to be credible we must be truthful. ~ Murrow

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Wonder if there were any SCI big wigs involved? Hmmm, OoA strikes again.

If it's true I hope they throw away the key untill their bones turn to dust.

~Ann

Posts: 19559 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Where the hell is ole AdQueen to defend them now???

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37886 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Hopefully SHE will also reap. Wonder how many rhino hunts she sold?

~Ann

Posts: 19559 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I'll bet a pound to a pinch of the brown stuff there's still going to be a LOT more arrests to come.

You play with fire and you get burned..... the guilty get bugger all sympathy from me!

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
an e-mail from a friend in the know:

"Hi Yes, Groenewald has been arrested as part of the same investigation inLimpopo Province, South Africa."

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is all I want for Christmas !

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I bet some of SCI's head honchos are not feeling that comfortable right now!

No matter what everyone said before, they insisted on protecting those who pribed most - sorry, should have said "donate" to them.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68779 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For us ignorant folks. Who is this Dawie Groenewald? How does he fit in with SCI?

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
It is my greatest hope that the current SCi is not that of the old ways. I concur that those who would stand guilty as charged should not see the light of day again. Selfish greedy bastards, nothing more.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eezridr:
For us ignorant folks. Who is this Dawie Groenewald? How does he fit in with SCI?

EZ

If you do a search on OoA, Out Of Africa, SCI or SCI ethics committee, you'll find enough to keep you reading for a month.

As Saeed says, there's probably more than a few upper echelon SCI guys with twitchy bits right now. rotflmo

Still, you sow the wind, you reap the whirlwind......

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I wonder why I'm not surprised?

I say hang the pirates. thumbdown

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13661 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Monday's arrests came about a week after Tom Fourie, a well-known figure in wildlife circles in Musina, was arrested. He has already appeared in court and was released on R2 000 bail.

They aren't taking it very seriously if one guy gets out on about $300 bail.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is all I want for Christmas !

me2

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
quote:
Monday's arrests came about a week after Tom Fourie, a well-known figure in wildlife circles in Musina, was arrested. He has already appeared in court and was released on R2 000 bail.

They aren't taking it very seriously if one guy gets out on about $300 bail.

The arrests came a week after his. Maybe he rolled, and they've promised him a cushy time in exchange.

Posts: 2921 | Location: Canada | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Let's not count our chickens before they're hatched.

As past events have proved, he's a slippery so & so.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
While I love to believe that Dawie is really busted, for the life of me I cannot see why many of you jump on SCI right away. For all we know it has nothing to do with SCI or any "bigwigs" for that matter. Now SCI is not perfect by any means and I have my beefs as well but this is a perfect example of another internet slaughter without any facts. Also, we all need to wake up and understand there are a lot more anti-hunters than there are of us so sticking together even when we do not like all that happens is better than the alternative.

Sounds like this is a poaching ring that was not tied into sport hunting at all. What a great day for us all that a guy like Dawie finally gets what is coming to him. Lets just look at it for what it is and not make more out of it.

Now I feel better,

York, SC

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
BBB

I don't think that anyone is necessarily suggesting that SCI members are involved in the rhino poaching operation (although I wouldn't rule it out either) more that other things might get discussed and that as OoA seem to have donated so much to SCI in the past there might possibly be more than one issue at stake here.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigBBear:
While I love to believe that Dawie is really busted, for the life of me I cannot see why many of you jump on SCI right away. For all we know it has nothing to do with SCI or any "bigwigs" for that matter. Now SCI is not perfect by any means and I have my beefs as well but this is a perfect example of another internet slaughter without any facts. Also, we all need to wake up and understand there are a lot more anti-hunters than there are of us so sticking together even when we do not like all that happens is better than the alternative.

Sounds like this is a poaching ring that was not tied into sport hunting at all. What a great day for us all that a guy like Dawie finally gets what is coming to him. Lets just look at it for what it is and not make more out of it.

Now I feel better,

I am afraid whether we like it or not, SCI supported them to the Nth degree, despite all the mounting evidence of their involvement in totally illegal activities in Zimbabwe.

That is the sort of thing that reflects very badly on us as hunters.

Should we, as members of SCI, accept whatever they do in our name, even if we do not agree with it?

Posts: 68779 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
if this is true I would be in favor of bringing back hanging in the town square at high noon as a proper punishment...

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
if this is true I would be in favor of bringing back hanging in the town square at high noon as a proper punishment...

Rich
tu2

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of Vans
posted Hide Post
Ex- policemen.....why am I not surprised? Mofos!!!!!!
I hope they lose everything they own and more!

Posts: 53 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 21 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Agreed! tu2

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
And the hits just keep on comin'. OoA and Dawie have been dirty words to the safari community for some time. I hope they can prove the allegations and finish them once and for all.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Milo Shanghai
posted Hide Post
Who did they fail to pay?

Posts: 680 | Location: London | Registered: 03 September 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
From the BBC website:

South Africa police smash 'rhino horn ring'
Rhino horns are valuable to poachers as they fetch a high price in Asia where they are used in medicine Nine people have been arrested and are to appear in a South African court on Wednesday for their alleged role in a rhino poaching syndicate.

The suspects include a businessman and two veterinarians operating in the Limpopo Province.

An official told the BBC the gang allegedly sent rhino horns to Asian markets.

More than 200 rhinos have been killed for their horns since the beginning of this year.

Rhino horns are sold in the black market and used in some Asian countries for medicinal purposes.

"It is a huge breakthrough for us and we believe it will serve as a deterrent and message to would-be smugglers that the net is closing in on their operations," police spokesperson Col Vish Naidoo told the BBC.

An undisclosed number of rhino horns were also seized during a raid in Musina, on the border of Zimbabwe and South Africa, where the group was operating.

The suspects will face charges relating to the killing, selling and dumping of rhino carcasses, Col Naidoo said.

The men linked to "hundreds of other incidents" are to appear in Musina magistrate's court on Wednesday.

South Africa recently tightened its anti-poaching laws but the industry continues to thrive in the country, authorities say.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Common sense would dictate from the start these criminals were selling to the Asian market, not to the US. I doubt anyone in the US would have ties to this. Not only because it would be a high felony, but can you imagine that "gang" telling a US citizen: "Hey, let's share millions of Rand/USD with you." Why would they want an un-needed partner? Secondly, they may be killing Rhino's they own (a few) and get more for the horn than a hunt. Probably most Rhino's were protected (poached) and we'll see what happens. But I suspect they have enough $$$ to buy their way out; a common occurrence in Africa. SCI should ban and shun anyone involved and the members should demand such action on anyone convicted of said crimes.

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6823 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We all know how loud money talks in Africa lets just hope that the media really works this story so the government can't sweep it under the rug

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
quote:

EZ

If you do a search on OoA, Out Of Africa, SCI or SCI ethics committee, you'll find enough to keep you reading for a month.

As Saeed says, there's probably more than a few upper echelon SCI guys with twitchy bits right now. rotflmo

The President Elect of SCI is Kevin Anderson & he is/was the chairman of the Ethics committee that refused to suspend or reprimand Groenewald despite many complaints by SCI members. Anderson was also Groenewald's attorney during the recent Lacey act conviction in the US when he was found guilty of importing an illegally hunted leopard skin into the US.

There are some senior SCI people who had some kind of business interest in OOA.

I wonder if Kevin Anderson will be Groenewald's attorney now also!???? Wink This does not look good for Anderson. Imagine the anti hunting press headlines reading that the SCI President Elect was the attorney of the Rhino poacher!

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11243 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know if it the same Dawies Groenewald who is also a Rugby official (Vice President) in South Africa?

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11243 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where are the "Greenies" when they could be of some benefit?

Most of us here will never be able to afford a Rhino hunt, and these ________ (I am at a loss for words to describe them) are killing them just to make a buck or two.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Alan Bunn
posted Hide Post
@ Nakihunter

I am pretty sure the rugby fellow is a different person, who just happens to have the same name.

However, our South African friends would know for sure.

Cheers,

~ Alan

Cheers,

~ Alan

Life Member NRA
Life Member SCI

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is good this happened now....

Already suspended from the 2011 SCI show; it will give them a year so that the booth space can be reserved for 2012.Then they can have that fresh clean slate.....

sofa

Posts: 444 | Location: Hudson Valley | Registered: 07 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
dancing Now if they will make the penalty fit the crime!

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nakihunter:
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
quote:

EZ

The President Elect of SCI is Kevin Anderson & he is/was the chairman of the Ethics committee that refused to suspend or reprimand Groenewald despite many complaints by SCI members. Anderson was also Groenewald's attorney during the recent Lacey act conviction in the US when he was found guilty of importing an illegally hunted leopard skin into the US.

There are some senior SCI people who had some kind of business interest in OOA.

I wonder if Kevin Anderson will be Groenewald's attorney now also!???? Wink This does not look good for Anderson. Imagine the anti hunting press headlines reading that the SCI President Elect was the attorney of the Rhino poacher!

The above, gentlemen, is what is going to give us all a terrible name.

Not our complaining about SCI!

I have said it before, and I will repeat it here, the SCI so called "ethics" committee is a joke. And unless they get their heads out of the sand, and start calling a spade a spade, they will continue to be a joke.

Bending backwards to support unethical operators is just about the worst thing they could do.

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
PRESS RELEASE

Issued by the Professional Hunters Association of South Africa

Contact Details: Tel 012-667-2048; info@phasa.co.za / ceo@phasa.co.za; www.phasa.co.za

PHASA APPLAUDS ARRESTS OF POACHERS

Pretoria - The Professional Hunters’ Association of South Africa expressed their appreciation about the arrests of various people who are allegedly involved with the rhino poaching tsunami. PHASA also congratulated all who were involved with the investigations and eventual arrests, which includes the Hawks, the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA), SANParks, the department of nature conservation and the national prosecuting authority (NPA).

Ms Adri Kitshoff, PHASA CEO said that it is a huge disappointment that professional people who hold trusted positions in society and wildlife, are believed to be closely involved with rhino poaching syndicates.
“PHASA will support any motion to oppose bail being given to these people. The mere R2 000 bail that was recently awarded in another case, is a “crime” by itself” she said.

PHASA has recently made almost R400,000 available to be used towards rhino anti-poaching and management projects. “The money was raised by our members who, as professional hunters and hunting outfitters, will do everything in their power to put a stop to this senseless murder of our wildlife” Kitshoff said.

PHASA, currently the largest professional hunting association in the world, actively participates in the formulation of conservation policy in South Africa in partnership with government and non-governmental organizations and in consultation with an international network of affiliated bodies.

Issued by: Adri Kitshoff, PHASA
Contact details: 012-667-2048; 083-650-0442

One of Us
Picture of Stephen Palos
posted Hide Post
Old news but very pertinent now:

Old but pertinent

http://www.bigbore.org/
http://www.chasa.co.za

Addicted to Recoil !
I hunt because I am human. Hunting is the expression of my humanity...

Posts: 441 | Location: Randfontein, South Africa | Registered: 07 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
This is simply nauseating stuff, and another reason why I am leaving SCI for DSC.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16653 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote