THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Warning signs of an imminent charge?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Warning signs of an imminent charge?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted
I understand that a lion will usually give a growl to warn you, but when he stiffens his tail, a charge is imminent. What do other the other danerous game animals do?

Posts: 4779 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Elephants generally flattens their ears against the side of the head, rolls it's trunk up underneath, and comes forth to smush you into strawberry jam. Damn near as frightning as the scowl that my wife gives me from time to time.

Posts: 322 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
From what I've read, eye contact will draw a leopard charge. Unlike lion, they are said to not give themselves away with a growl, and are on you very quickly.

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JeffP
posted Hide Post
Warning signs of imminent charge?
You turn around and the PH and crew are in the truck. [Eek!]

Posts: 2482 | Location: Alaska....At heart | Registered: 17 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
JeffP,
ROFL

Posts: 4779 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cchunter
posted Hide Post
JeffP

I feel like I am in the Humor forum

Best laugh today [Big Grin]

Posts: 2121 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 08 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
JeffP,

That's truer than you might think.

It's akin to the sales motivation saying, to the effect, that the slowest lion only has to be faster than the slowest antelope (or vise versa, the lowest antelope has to be faster than the fastest lion).

Since I'm the slowest antelope, I better be ready for the charge!

Posts: 19305 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<500 Nitro>
posted
A Water Buffalo - drops it head, nose at the ground before it comes.

Luckily only had one Buffalo drops it head, nose at the ground
- a 570gn 500 Nitro bullet dropped it before it got a chance to charge.

500 Nitro

one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
Imminent charge? For my wife, it's "Buy One, Get One Free"

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
[Big Grin] [Eek!] [Big Grin]

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nothing is written in stone here but a lion will have his tail striaght up with a kink in the end of it, so beware of a kinky Lion, that would be a horrible experience [Wink]

A buffalo will come at you with his nose pointed and the one thing you will always notice is those little normally beady eyes are now the size of tennis balls and wild looking as hell, and that sight is for you and only you, this you will know and see...but not to worry at the last minute he will dip his horns to gore your groin and you simply shoot him down through the top of the boss, you can't miss...I hear its a rush!

An elephant will charge with ears flared and thats a false charge, when he is coming for you he will slap them back against his head, the problem is he can be initiating a false charge and then slap the ears back about the time he is on top of you, simply because he/she changed his/her mind, have a nice day.

I added a bit of humor but what I told you is pretty much fact.

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Imminent charge?

You look back at the PH & his trackers....The trackers are up high in the trees and the PH is standing in a "puddle"...LOL

Mike R. in TN

Posts: 45 | Location: Chattanooga, TN USA | Registered: 01 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Imminent charge?

My wife doesn't even give me any warning, she just "whips out the plastic"....LOL

Mike R. in TN

Posts: 45 | Location: Chattanooga, TN USA | Registered: 01 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
The warning sign with cape Buffalo is, he will dip his head several times, if he is undecided. This is his warning to you, that he is not happy with your intrusion. When he dips that head, and while bringing it back up, he emits a low toned grunt, almost a growl, he is coming, and you better do your thing, right, in the next second or two, because once he starts, he will not stop, or turn, unless you stop him with a solid hit to the brain, or spine. The tip of the nose is the target for the first shot, and as Ray says the second will be down through the boss. Unless you break something vital,with one or both of the first two shots, you will not get a third shot! [Eek!]

[ 08-15-2003, 20:08: Message edited by: MacD37 ]

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Doesn't the tip of the nose go up and down, and make a very difficult target as they charge????
[Eek!]

Posts: 1805 | Location: American Athens, Greece | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Socrates:
Doesn't the tip of the nose go up and down, and make a very difficult target as they charge????
[Eek!]

[Big Grin] It does!!!!!!! Now that makes for an interesting target, NO?

Actually the nose doesn't bounce as much as you would think. The Cape Buffalo charges with his eyes open, and he never takes his eyes off you once he starts.As Ray says his eyes are as open as they will ever be, with a large amount of the "WHITES OF HIS EYES" showing!

Most bovines zero in on you, then at about five feet from target zero, the close their eyes, and down their head to make a cross slash with one or the other horn. The Cape will hit you square with the Boss, and twist his head as he tosses you. The twist will cause the backward sweeping horn tips in under your ribcage as he finishes the toss. After that he is the boss man, for sure, and unless he has tossed you into a tree, you are finished. Guns, calibers, PF, CRF, bolt, or double matter not! [Eek!]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I had Ross Seyfried describe his shooting a buffalo, coming from 25 yards, with 5 or 6 shots, and finally having it drop at his feet, on the phone, about 20 years ago. I STILL remember it vividly.

All I have to say is necessity is the mother of invention, and thank God he had practiced for the situation, and could shoot that fast.

With a rifle, if you get two shots, I can see why people want 577's...

The funny thing is people don't give lions enough respect. They are so damn fast you can barely move, much less get a shot off, if they get close to you, and charge. I'd much rather have a buffalo coming then a lion...

s

Posts: 1805 | Location: American Athens, Greece | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Socrates:
With a rifle, if you get two shots, I can see why people want 577's...

The funny thing is people don't give lions enough respect. They are so damn fast you can barely move, much less get a shot off, if they get close to you, and charge. I'd much rather have a buffalo coming then a lion...

s

SOC, I fully agree with you on the LION! I describe the Buffalo because I have no first hand experience with LION,or Elephant. The African lion is the one animal that strikes primevil fear in my soul. You're correct in your opinion on which would be the best to have charge from close quarters, if there is anything good about any charge. Where the lack of respect, with lions, is most evident, is with the lioness, after the Lion has been hit, and is down. In a pride,with the females, you are likely to get a multiple charge, and that would be my worst mightmare! Buffalo usually will run even when hit at close range, with the charge usually only durring the follow-up, and rarely do you get any kind of charge, and more rarely, a multiple charge! [Cool]

[ 08-17-2003, 04:11: Message edited by: MacD37 ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
/

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mac:

The other thing about buffalo, elephants, etc. is they aren't going to EAT YOU!!!

I would suggest most of the time you get charged by those animals is because YOU made a mistake, and or, got into their area.

Cats kill things for food, and, sometimes for fun.

We have a feral cat around the house, and we have no mice, no crawling insects, and, we used to have a moth problem. No longer. She'll hunt down moths, catch them, and play with them for awhile, then eat them.

Ray's story about the lioness, at point blank range, and his little backwards Tango with her is a classic.

What warning signs? At 2 feet she steps out of the bushes to tell you to get the helll away from her cubs??

I wonder if any hunters ever get hit walking into a leopard blind, when a pride of lions has decided to eat the bait?

That would be my real terror. 15 lions, all hungry, pitch black night, and all you can see, if anything, are the eyes, and the canine teeth...

[Confused] [Eek!]

s

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ross Seyfried was a PH in Tanzania for 11 years and is a pretty darn intelligent fellow, not prone to BS....

I have had two seperate incidence with clients who shot one buff 13 times with 500's and another 9 times...The live in Boise Idaho...

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Years and years ago, I and a few friends witnessed Ross Seyfreid shoot in several IPSC matches when they were real and relevant and the man was FAST!! He was greased lightning and a few years later, he was demonstrating some shooting prowess with LARGE BORE DGR's. From what my buddy told at the time, he was just as fast with his DGR's as he was with his handguns. Seems that everybody out there just want to denigrate the great and big names in the shooting business for no apparent reason. I think that PURE JEALOSY AND ENVY tends to color everything. Look at what came out of the woodwork when Craig Boddington tried to sell his 7 Mag!!
[Mad] [Mad] [Eek!]

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The 627 V-Comp was the revolver used by the world's most famous wheelgunner - Jerry Miculek - to set the most recent handgun speed shooting records. In an unbelievable display of speed, accuracy and dexterity, Jerry did the following: eight shots on target - 1.00 seconds; eight shots on four targets (2 per target) - 1.06 seconds; and six shots, reload and six shots on target - 2.99 seconds!
I'm most impressed with the last. That's moving.

Let's see the guy do that with a lion coming after him;-)

I have little doubt Seyfried is in the same class.

The buffalo started from a stand, and I can't remember if Seyfried shot him, to piss him off, or, if the guy was just pissed Seyfried was in his briar patch.

Wonder what the results would have been if the animal had been a lion?

Another guy put 12 shots on target, in 1 second, using two guns, one in each hand.

gs

[ 08-19-2003, 11:07: Message edited by: Socrates ]