New
Find
Notify
Tools

Safari Budgeting Question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am putting together a budget for a plains game hunt in Namibia and was wondering what costs to expect and when they are due. I have included the daily fee, trophy fees, 15% VAT on daily fee, dipping charge, gratuities, and misc. travel expenses (food and possible hotel stay). What other charges are out there that I am not Including? I know there is tanning, taxidermy, and shipping, but are these charges due at the end of the hunt, or when the services are rendered?

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You may finish the hunt sooner and then decide to vist Etosha or what-ever.
Lochi.

Hunters pay for conservation. Without funds from hunting the African game cannot survive.
www.affordableafricanhunting.com

Posts: 240 | Location: Johannesburg, South Africa | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of b.martins
posted Hide Post
For most of the costs related to trophy preparation (tanning, taxidermy, packing, forwarding, etc.) you will be asked to pay them just before the trophies are shipped to you. But the taxidermist will sure ask for some advanced payment (which is natural!).

B.Martins

What every gun needs, apart from calibre, is a good shot and hunter behind it. - José Pardal

Posts: 538 | Location: Lisboa,Portugal | Registered: 16 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lhook7

Airport transfers to and from the hunting area may be an extra cost. Also delivery of trophies to Windhoek and license fees may or may not be included. These could cost you an extra $400-$500 over and above your daily fees and trophy fees.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13012 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A bottle of good whiskey and trunk full of affordable curios -affordable when bought separately but they add up quickly!

http://www.tgsafari.co.za

"What doesn´t kill you makes you stranger!"

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ropes
posted Hide Post
Yuo will get better info by calling one of the outfitters here and talking to them on the phone..

But since you ask...

My wife and I will be in Namibia 16 days 6 of which we are on our own driving around in a rental car followed by 10 then days hunting.

Round trip airfare 4000
Rental car 1000
6 days food/hotel 1500
Daily rate 3500

Trophy Fees - I dont expect to shoot them all
Kudu 700
Oryx 450
Springbok 320
Eland 1300
Blesbok 550
Hartebeest 450
Warthog 350
Mt. Zebra 650
Wildebeest 1100
Total - 5870
Dip and Pack 250
Tip - 500
Shipping - 2000
Mounting - mix of skulls, zebra rug, 2 pedestal mounts - 5000
Trinkets - 1000

Total 25,000 I hope this more than the actual end cost but maybe someone who has been there done that can correct me.. I hope I have guessed high at the shipping prices but that will probably be offset by my low airfare guess... YMMV.

Posts: 549 | Location: Denial | Registered: 27 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hunting Trophy Queen
posted Hide Post
Don't forget the clearance fees for the trophies through all the US Government Agencies unless you plan to clear them yourself.
Fore more info check out huntingtrophy.com's FAQ section.

Carolyn Rutkowski
Consultant, Hunting Trophy Division
Coppersmith Inc.
TheRutkowskis@aol.com

Posts: 53 | Location: Carrollton, Texas | Registered: 02 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Knife Maker...you hit it right.
It was $23,000 for 18 days in Namiba in 2000 for wife and I. That is every $ I could chg. off for the hunt, air, meds, curios, taxi work on 7 critters, air for 7 critters home, rent cars, hotels, train trip, tips... any and everything. Worth every damn penny. Had a wonderful hunt and holiday.

You can borrow money but you can not borrow time. Go hunting with your family.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
A few costs that are safari related:

1. Vaccinations (depends on what you get - can cost $200 or more per person).

2. Malaria tabs, doxy, cipro, sleeping pills prescriptions (depending on your medical insurance can be expensive). With insurance paying for most of it, our cost was about $100 (half of that was for the sleeping pills).

3. Supplemental Medical Insurance ($100).

4. Medical Evacuation Insurance (may not need if covered by Item 3. above) $300.

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses and PMs everyone. It looks like I had just about everything in my budget except for the items T. Carr listed. I will definately add them to my budget.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't forgt to get some RANDS before you leave for misc things at airports etc.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PM me if you'd like some info from Namibia trip my son and I had last summer. The costs are still pretty fresh in my mind and have receipts around. Where are you looking? I booked through Harry (posted above) and had a great trip to Northern Namibia. Bob

Posts: 1286 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If it is your first trip, bring back a bottle of Amarula.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
If it is your first trip, bring back a bottle of Amarula.

What is Amarula?

One of Us
Picture of Nevster
posted Hide Post
Amarula is a liquer made from the Amarula fruit.

If you want some idea what it is like the closest drink i know to it is probably Baileys Irish cream. Both taste very similar to me.

Posts: 168 | Location: London,UK | Registered: 10 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nevster,

Thanks for the info. Do you live in Edinburgh? I am half Scottish and used to live in East Calder.

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
A Scotsman recommending Amarula - don't know what the worlds coming to! - all that lovely malt whisky and you want to drink a ladies drink! jump

One of Us
Picture of Nevster
posted Hide Post
Im not scottish!!! I am actually from essex via zimbabwe, i just happen to be working up in scotland at the moment Razzer

Lhook7, i live in Livingston when im up here.

cheers

Craig.

Posts: 168 | Location: London,UK | Registered: 10 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Nevstar,

Ah well that excuses you! Wink