THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    The ULTIMATE DGR - Designed And Built By Walter!!
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The ULTIMATE DGR - Designed And Built By Walter!!
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted
Ladies and Gentlemen,

As you all know, I have been hunting with my best friend Walter for a number of years.

Walter is one of those rare characters - thank God for that! - who manages to piss off a saint!

A few years ago, he bought himself a Blaser R93. The minute I handled that contraption, I KNEW Walter would love it, and I would hate it. That original opinion has only been re-inforced since then.

Anyway, the rifle was chambered for the 7x64 Brenneke.

Walter tried hunting with it on a couple of occassions, and only managed to provide us with an awful lot of entertainment, as he was in the process of showing us how quickly he can reloads his Blaser.

Walter loves to hunt warthogs, and as we saw one standing not far in the bush as we were driving along, Roy asked him to shoot it.

Walter is a bit slow in everything he does, not in just his thought process.

Roy, out of the truck in a flash, with the shooting sticks ready for Walter: "Come on Walter, hurry up! That warthog is likely to die of old age before you're ready to shoot it!"

Walter, still in the process of dismantling a few bits of pieces around his neck. These include a GPS - he is scared of being lost in the bush, hence his excuse of never leaving the truck. A short wave radio - which did not work, as I have modified it for him after he started telling us all the gory details of what is going on in the world every morning, still he carries it with him!

Both a digital and a video camera, and finally, a walkman!

After he managed to get down off the truck, loaded his rifle, and looked through tthe scope, which was pointing at a log about 10 meters to the right of the standing warthog " Where is my piggy, where is my piggy?"

Roy "Walter, you are looking at him!"
Walter "He must be hiding behind the log. I cannot see him!"

Roy "He is to the left of the log! Hurry up and shoot, he is looking at you now!"

Walter "I bet he cannot see me. He can only see your truck! What sort of a PH hunts with a WHITE truck is beyond me! You must be a member of PETA! Never mind that, where is the piggy?"

The warthog moved, so Walter managed to see it.

Walter "I see it! I see it! I see it!"

About a minute passed, still no shots.

I said "Are you going to shoot him or do you want me to do it?"

Walter "I cannot see him now. Where has he gone?"

Roy "He still standing there!"

BANG!

The pig takes off. Roy screaming "Shoots him again! He is wounded now!"

CLICK!

Walter "OH DAMN!"

CLICK!

Walter, ejecting a loaded round, and chambering another "It is all your ammo Saeed!"

CLICK!

I looked at the ejected round, and found that the primer was not hit.

I said "Walter, CLOSE the bolt TIGHT!"

BANG!

One dead warthog.

What happened was, Walter pulled the bolt back far enough to eject the emptyt, but not far enough to pick a new round from the magazine. Next he loaded a new round into the chamber, but did not close the bolt all the way in.

Then he somehow managed to put the safety on!

So much for a rifle that is supposed to be a fast loader!

Anyway, this experience got Walter thinking, and as usual, he was on the wrong track. He thought the 7x64 is not powerful enough for a quick kill on animals, so he wanted me to chamber a barrel for him for my 375/404.

I flatly refused, knowing full well he won't be able to shoot that cartridge in his Blaser, as it would kick the hell out of him!

We reached a compromise, and we got him a 375 H&H barrel for his Blaser.

I fired it with factory ammo, and found the recoil horrible. As the stock on that rifle makes each shot very much like getting whacked by Mike Tyson on the cheek!

So I thought of a plan to make sure Walter changes his mind. I loaded 3 rounds of 375 H&H rounds with the maximum charge that rifle will take, and hid them.

Walter turned up in the develop ammo for his new barrel, as he said he did not trust me to load it for him.

Walter "OK, I want ammo that does not kick too much. Where do I start?"

Me "Look in manual, and find a load that has the lowest velocity"

Walter "That does not sound very good. I want to start REALLY low, as I do not like recoil. So what do you suggest?"

Me "Alright, find the lowest velocity load, then reduce that charge by 10%. If you go any lower, the bullet might not come out of the barrel"

I gave him the same box of bullets I loaded the 3 rounds mentioned earlier. He sat down, and after about 30 minutes, he managed to load 3 rounds of very low velocity ammo!

He is left handed, so he had to re-arrange the shooting bench. In the meantime, I swapped his 3 rounds of reduced loads for my 3 rounds of max loads.

He firted one round "OUCH! OUCH! OUCH! That bloody well KICKS!"

Me, trying to get myself off teh floor "I told you that bloody gun kicks, you don't believe me. Wait tell you get to a decent load!"

After about ten minutes, when he has eaten a chocolate cake and an ice cream - his favourite dessert, he fired another round.

"OUCH OUCH OUCH! Damn! I am NOT shooting that gun again"

Well, he hasn't, and so the present project came about.

He asked what cartridge he can use to shoot a buffalo with, but won't kick as much.

So I suggested the 45/70.

Walter is totally sold on the idea of chamnbering a barrel for his Blaser for teh 45/70.

I will keep you all up to date to the developments!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68614 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Big Grin Big Grin Razzer Razzer Wink

Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place
among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

one of us
posted Hide Post
HO HO HO GEEZ HO HO HO! roflmao
The .45/70 strikes again! Any MatchKings for Walter's Blaser .45/70? Sabot loads maybe?
And Walter must turn three circumferential rings on the barrel muzzle, and paint them red, or Saeed must do it to get even. jump

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Okay, now I know that the Blaser is getting a bad rap here, so now I must wonder about Walter.

I fear he is being unfairly maligned. Could he be the only sane man in the asylum?

I never had any problems with my Blaser R93 in caliber .375 H&H Belted Rimless Magnum, once I properly tricked it out. Big Grin

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13613 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
This past weekend I got to shoot my buddy David's Blasar in 375 H&H and .257 Whby.

The accuracy of the rifle was great and function was flawless. I'm afraid that I have moved to the ranks of those who like the rifle!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
mrlexma,
That is a stunning photo!

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
BANG!
CLICK!
Walter, ejecting a loaded round, and chambering another "It is all your ammo Saeed!"

CLICK!

I looked at the ejected round, and found that the primer was not hit.

I said "Walter, CLOSE the bolt TIGHT!"

BANG!

One dead warthog.

What happened was, Walter pulled the bolt back far enough to eject the emptyt, but not far enough to pick a new round from the magazine. Next he loaded a new round into the chamber, but did not close the bolt all the way in.

The issue is indeed one of not closing the bolt fully. Was this reloaded ammo?? That normally chambers just a tad harder, depending on how and how much it was sized. But in any event (factory or reloads), the bolt must be pushed to its most forward position, otherwise the rifle will indeed just go "click", when you pull the trigger.

I don't think Walter managed to "put the safety on". The decocking lever can really only be moved with a conscious effort, and if the rifle had been decocked in the melee, there would have been no "click" when he pulled the trigger. The click is pretty much a sure sign of the bolt not being closed.

To use the R93 (like most other rifles) you have to train with it and gain total familiarity. It does operate different to other rifles (safety, locking system), so training is a definite must even for shooters with long experience, both in terms of proper operation and safety. Not knowing Walter, from the stories it sounds like he is perhaps not the World's most avid shooter. So maybe he did not use the rifle sufficiently to become 100% familiar with it. That can be rectified pretty easily.

From the various pictures posted, I have seen that Walter's R93 has a wooden stock with a hogsback. I have to agree, that design is not particularly well suited to heavy recoiling cartridges. I much prefer my straight stocked synthetic for the heavier recoilers. The hogsback is offered more for traditional and marketing reasons than for recoil handling properties. The additional drop of the hogsback stock, does make it easier to use open sights, though.
- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
I've shot a 6 1/2 lb .375 Blaser and it is not too bad when hunting. If one does not shoot too much.

Saeed, a .45 Blaser barrel is called for.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Btw, if you guys are really serious about trying to chamber an R93 for the .45-70, you might succeed in getting a barrel made (or rechambered), but the next problem will be getting a magazine that will work. If you want .45-70 ballistics, as Nitro-X suggested, maybe the better way would be to try a .45 Blaser. It is pretty difficult cartridge to get brass and ammo for, though.

Anyway, for Walter's plains game hunting, why does he not simply stick to his 7x64?? It is a great cartridge, and will kill just about any plains game species cleanly. But maybe I'm preaching to the choir??
- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by mho:
Anyway, for Walter's plains game hunting, why does he not simply stick to his 7x64?? - mike

The Blaser was banned by the rifle muttawa clap thumb

Saeed- Do you have video clip of Walther shooting the 375? Big Grin
Kindly build Walther a proper rifle, I'm sure you have a left-hand action somewhere in the shop Smiler Smiler

Cheers
/JOHAN

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't suppose there's any hope in getting that contraption chambered in T-rex & having walter give it a try on video??

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dSmith.45
posted Hide Post
I was expecting a Mini-14 in .204 Ruger gunsmile

Posts: 359 | Location: 33N36'47", 96W24'48" | Registered: 01 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A Blaser rifle kind of reminds me of a "El Camino" - not really a pickup and not really a car! sofa

Mrlexma,
I really like your black & white photo - great contrast!

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
BLASER PUSH FEED????.........45-70????

Man you guys know how to induce nausea! nut

.................... sofa

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
We are in a bit of a quandary.

Walter wants to try a 45-70 rifle. Trouble si we do not have one.

We do have a T/C Contender barrel for this cartridge. I am going to put together for him, and see if we can persuade him to shoot it.

That should put an end to this idea!

Posts: 68614 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Saeed, my friend:

I don't know Walter, but would like to meet him someday to plan practical jokes that will finally win the contests between the two of you.. especially since the t-shirt thing...

If you let him shoot a Contender in .45/70 with any load more than a 300 grain factory load, plan on a funeral. I had one of the things and really enjoyed it for one whole shot... and a trip to the doctor to have my face stitched..

Where should I send the condolences to his wife?

Fun if fun, but what is the penalty for murder in U.A.E. Just make a video like the T-Rex ones... and you'll convict yourself...

But I'll laugh my fanny off watching him go look for his shoulder after he shoots the thing...

roflmao

Only 30 days until I meet Pierr'e in the Selous. Any messages?

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7693 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Saeed: I do enjoy so much reading your accounts of Walter and his desire to endeavor to persevere to find and shoot a big rifle that does not kick! I don't see why a Blaser in 45-70 wouldn't be the ticket..

What he needs is is a large caliber gas operated single shot rifle. Let the gas operated action eat the recoil and then mount it to a solid metal tripod...but he will have to hit the animal with the first shot....I do look forward to seeing your 45-70 Blazer. Smiler

Robert Jobson

Posts: 669 | Location: Alaska, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So, Saeed is truly "The Lone Ranger" and Walter is only "Tonto" in the sense of the Spanish translation, "a fool, foolish, silly."

Sometimes Lone Rangers must endeavor to persevere also.

Good luck to you, Saeed. roflmao

The next time walter dilly-dallies too long in shooting whisper in his ear:

"Arriba! Arriba! Andale! Andale! YEEHAH!"

http://toolooney.goldenagecartoons.com/speedy.htm

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a nice 1974 vintage Marlin 1895 with a Williams 5D rear aperture sight that I will trade straight up for three of those questionable Blaser R93s, any calibers you want. Big Grin Cool

If one of them's a .416, I'll even volunteer to back Walter up when he uses the .45-70 on cape buffalo.

Back up meaning, "Walter, let's, I mean, why don't you--go ahead and shoot!

B-Blaaammm, B-Blaaammmm!!!!!! We . . . I mean, you . . . got him! Damn, that .45-70 hits like an express rifle!!! Let's call Rifle magazine before next month's deadline! Red Face

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Some of you used to be my heros, but a Blaser, damn thats akin to a Mossberg guys! sofa

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42136 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Saeed,
I have a Marlin 45/70 Lever Action Rifle Walter can use. Just tell how to get it to you.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Norbert
posted Hide Post
Probably there are many myths and fairy tales around the AR forums.

Recoil? R93? Big calibers?

Please watch this videos:
eleshot 1, 2.8 Mb
eleshot2, 1.6 Mb

The hunter is using a Blaser R93 and it seems, there is no or minimal reaction from recoil. Pls. guess what caliber he is shooting? 22 Hornet? .308 Win? .303 ? or other?

If Walter is interested, I can give some lessons on recoil management.

The replay is best with Real Player.

Posts: 279 | Location: Europe, Eifel hills | Registered: 12 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Norbet

I'm guessing a .500 Jeffrey and/or a .458 Lott.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The videos play for me, but I cannot see anything.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Ray,

I'd be interested in hearing about what experience you have with Blasers.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D99:
Ray,

I'd be interested in hearing about what experience you have with Blasers.

Walter likes it, and that is reason enough for me to deslike it jump

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Quote from Pondoro Taylor "A safe rifle that?"

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:

So much for a rifle that is supposed to be a fast loader!

BOY! That sounds like a well engineered rifle to have in your hands when fending off a charge!

Confused Eeker Wink

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
BOY! That sounds like a well engineered rifle to have in your hands when fending off a charge!

I don't think the rifle is the problem. Ever hear of operator error? Ever hear of short stroking a bolt? Yes the Blaser's are quite complicated therefore only people with intelligence should attempt to use them.

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M16:

Yes the Blaser's are quite complicated therefore only people with intelligence should attempt to use them.

jump That's rich! Intelligence, and Blaser in the same sentence! Wink

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
Saeed,

If I can ever stop laughing.....

roflmao roflmao roflmao roflmao roflmao roflmaoroflmao roflmao roflmaoroflmao roflmao roflmao

.... maybe I'll think of something intelligent to say like some of the others that have responded to this topic... beer

I think I'll agree with you on Blasers though... I don't like 'em! thumbdown

Walter sounds like a really fun guy to have around and every serious hunter should have a friend like Walter. clap

$bob$

Posts: 2494 | Location: NW Florida Piney Woods | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Saeed: I am certain that you or Walter could create a gas-operated, bolt actioned Blaser that would shoot 300 grain Walterhog bullets into buffalo, and Walter would not have to suffer the horrible consequences of recoil. I am on Walter's side of this debate....I say that non-recoiling Blasers shooting really big mean bullets is the goal! I think the real engineering challenge will be establishing a relationship between a Blaser bolt acion and a gas operated ejection mechanism. Massive fire-power with no or very little recoil...it is in there somewhere. Smiler.

Robert Jobson

Posts: 669 | Location: Alaska, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed, there is no need to reinvent the wheel when you can just buy Walter the 45-70 he desires. Here it is:

http://www.gibbsrifle.com/sport.html

Or you could get him this vintage Remington 45-70 tubular magazine repeater:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=33191481

Or if Walter prefers a handgun, here is a nice 45-70 revolver of sorts:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=33862382

Or if Walter likes cowboy paraphenalia, may I suggest the BFR revolver in 45-70?

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Walter is away on holiday - again!

When he comes, I will have that Contender ready for him with some stiff loads.

The barrel has a muzzle brake, but we doctored it. Instead of removing it, we made a sleeve that fit inside the brake, so people think they are shooting a pistol with a muzzle brake, but in reality they are not!

I just wonder if Walter will remember this

one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Saeed,

Fix Walter a .458 2", this is the Winne cut down to 2". It's like a belted 45-70. No need for any bolt face work and will probably feed from the same magazine as the 375 H&H.

You could still load up something special for Walter.

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would respond yet again, but what's the point? jump

You to your camp, and me to mine . . . hopefully a half a continent away from yours. jump I have a certain aversion to being shot by my companions anywhere at any time. shame

BTW, my trade offer still stands for anyone with the gumption to put their Blasers where their bad judgment may lead them!

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Walter,

I've got a nice little stainless guide gun in 45/70 that you can borrow anytime you want.
Don't let your friend and hunting companion steer you wrong, it will do anything the 375/404 mashumflat will do, without the godawful recoil, as long as you place your shot.
Saeed's a good fellow, but show him how to be a real hunter, with a REAL GUN! HI

BTW, if you want to trade that crappy old 93 for the GG, let me know.

Roger QSL

Posts: 4428 | Location: Queen Creek , Az. | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
quote:
Walter is away on holiday - again!
When he comes, I will have that Contender ready for him with some stiff loads.

Saeed,
Make sure the cameras are loaded and ready to catch this historic event roflmao roflmao

Cheers
/JOHAN

one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
Saeed,

A 416 Rem Mag barrel for a Blazer 93 with Safari Irons.

On Gunbroker

nuff said? beer

$bob$

Posts: 2494 | Location: NW Florida Piney Woods | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LDHunter:
Saeed,

A 416 Rem Mag barrel for a Blazer 93 with Safari Irons.

On Gunbroker

nuff said? beer

$bob$

That Pushfeed Blaser rifle can be successfully modified by simply lowering it into a hole in the ground,covering it, and driveing a Mauser actioned rifle, chambered for the 416 Rem over it! Problem solved! NUFF SAID! Wink Big Grin Big Grin

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith