Notify
Tools

Self Defense in Africa/Namibia
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
Eric,
Contact your outfitter and verify if Travellers cheques are welcome. Three years ago, Johan, the outfitter, told me that it was not convenient for him to take travellers because he was loosing on the commissions to change the TC and on the exchange rate.
I was following the suggestions of Tony Da Costa that time. Last June, instead I have with me only euros. Take in consideration also that in Italy T.C. are not so common. Johan was really happy to be paid with money, also because he can postpone a 500 km of travel from the SA border to Keetmanshoop and return, to change them and deposit the money.

bye
Stefano
Waidmannsheil

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnCrighton
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I may just do that - convert all into $N, then if I have any left when I'm back in Windhoek on my last day I'll convert back into US dollars.

quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
John, travellers checks are pretty much passe these days due to currency conversion rates, at least in most places other than Africa. You basically get ripped off at both ends. In Namibia I had to go to the bank to convert my travellers checks into cash.
Peter.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat. - Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 555 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: 09 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnCrighton
posted Hide Post
Trust me - I'm one of the most polite, deferential, non-confrontational people outside of a Buddhist monastery you will ever meet. I hate confrontation and am prettygood at avoiding trouble. I havea feeling I'llbe just fine - but of course, I just like to have know some options just in case. I have no trouble swallowing my "pride" and apologize for any misunderstandings. Smiler

quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
I have been going to Africa since 1982, and have never, ever even seen any sort of problem that one might get into.

I go nowhere without my PH.

I don't pay for anything, even if we go to the shops. I ask my PH to pay for everything, and I pay him - this has to be agreed on before hand, of course.

I have done this with every single individual I have hunted with. They are normally glad to get paid in dollars, and they pay in local currency.

If the worst comes to the worst, swallow your pride and try to walk away from trouble.

Remember, you are a guest in a foreign counry, and try your best to avoid getting into any sort of trouble.

I have lived about 20% of my life in other countries, and have never, ever had any problems.

In fact, I have found that even when one does makes mistakes, if one is polite, and appolizes, things work out in hs favor.

Ultimately, avoid that in-your-face-I am-right-and-you-are-wrong-attiude.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat. - Theodore Roosevelt

One of Us
Picture of JohnCrighton
posted Hide Post
Yup, already doing that - most of the customer service reps, though, have never heard of Namibia - LOL.

quote:
Originally posted by akpls:
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
John, travellers checks are pretty much passe these days due to currency conversion rates, at least in most places other than Africa. You basically get ripped off at both ends. In Namibia I had to go to the bank to convert my travellers checks into cash.
Peter.
I also found this to be the case. You're better off using a credit or debit card. My Alaska credit union issued debit card worked in SA and Namibia. If you go that route it's good to notify your bank where you may be using your card so they don't think it's fraudulent usage.

One of Us
Picture of JohnCrighton
posted Hide Post
Luckily the outfiter takes travelers checks (which I will need to pay for my Zebra) but all other payment to them will be done by the time I arrive. All of my lodging (except for Casa Piccolo) will be paid in advance also - I just need to worry about the car rental (they take credit cards) and food, petrol, souvenirs. I'll probably bring about $1500 US and just get it converted into N$ at the bank when I arrive. That should be enough, and if I have any left over I'll convert it back when I leave.

My credit card company charges 2% for conversion fees, which actually isn't so bad - so if I charge $100 for something I'm only looking at $2 - big whoop-dee-do Smiler

quote:
Originally posted by Steve Malinverni:
Eric,
Contact your outfitter and verify if Travellers cheques are welcome. Three years ago, Johan, the outfitter, told me that it was not convenient for him to take travellers because he was loosing on the commissions to change the TC and on the exchange rate.
I was following the suggestions of Tony Da Costa that time. Last June, instead I have with me only euros. Take in consideration also that in Italy T.C. are not so common. Johan was really happy to be paid with money, also because he can postpone a 500 km of travel from the SA border to Keetmanshoop and return, to change them and deposit the money.

One of Us
Picture of namibiahunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JohnCrighton

I'll probably bring about $1500 US and just get it converted into N$ at the bank when I arrive. That should be enough, and if I have any left over I'll convert it back when I leave.

How I do it is convert my US Dollars into Euros in Frankfurt then when I arrive in Windhoek I will change just enough Euros into South African Rand, not Namibia Dollars. Or you can just wait until you get to Windhoek to convert your US Dollars to Rand.

The Rand (ZAR) and the Nam$ are the same value and are used interchangeably throughout Namibia. However, the Nam$ cannot be used any place in the world except in Namibia - not even South Africa, and cannot be converted back into anything outside of Namibia. That means that once that Namibian money leaves Namibia it is just souvenier and not legal tender for anything. On the other hand, the ZAR can be changed back into Euros or US Dollars or any other world currency any place, even outside of South Africa.

Another thing - I always keep a small pocketful of ZAR to use for tipping parking attendants and for souveniers.

One more thing - keep your receipts so that you can apply for refund on the value added tax (VAT) that you've paid out. This can be done at the airport as you are leaving.

Have a good time and a safe trip. I leave for Africa in 40 days.

Namibiahunter

Posts: 665 | Location: Oregon or Namibia | Registered: 13 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnCrighton
posted Hide Post
Thanks, NH - good advice there. I may get some N$ just for souvenirs (the mother-in-law loves that stuff). As for the VAT tax refund - I heard it was more a PITA than it was worth, but if I have time I may do just that - might be enough to get me a few beers in Frankfurt.

Hmm - with the way the US dollar is doing lately against the Euro, I may just do that in Frankfurt - hell, after 2.5 weeks in Namibia I may end up getting more US dollars back for my Euros than when I left Frankfurt!

quote:
Originally posted by namibiahunter:
quote:
Originally posted by JohnCrighton

I'll probably bring about $1500 US and just get it converted into N$ at the bank when I arrive. That should be enough, and if I have any left over I'll convert it back when I leave.

How I do it is convert my US Dollars into Euros in Frankfurt then when I arrive in Windhoek I will change just enough Euros into South African Rand, not Namibia Dollars. Or you can just wait until you get to Windhoek to convert your US Dollars to Rand.

The Rand (ZAR) and the Nam$ are the same value and are used interchangeably throughout Namibia. However, the Nam$ cannot be used any place in the world except in Namibia - not even South Africa, and cannot be converted back into anything outside of Namibia. That means that once that Namibian money leaves Namibia it is just souvenier and not legal tender for anything. On the other hand, the ZAR can be changed back into Euros or US Dollars or any other world currency any place, even outside of South Africa.

Another thing - I always keep a small pocketful of ZAR to use for tipping parking attendants and for souveniers.

One more thing - keep your receipts so that you can apply for refund on the value added tax (VAT) that you've paid out. This can be done at the airport as you are leaving.

Have a good time and a safe trip. I leave for Africa in 40 days.

Namibiahunter