Find
Notify
Tools

Self Defense in Africa/Namibia
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of JohnCrighton
posted
I really, REALLY hope this is just speculative thinking on my part, but I like to be prepared for any contingency.

What if I find myself in a situation, while in Namibia, where I have to defend myself against bodily harm? Is there any way I can bring over on the plane (checked baggage) any sort of pepper spray or self-defense device? Could I mail some to my PH for me to pick up when I'm there? Can I buy anything over there?

If accosted and assaulted, after the dust settles, should I report it or just continue on like nothing happened?

Again, just preparing for something I hope simply doesn't happen. I'm no hero, and if someone just mugs me for some cash I'm not going to risk my safety for just money.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat. - Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 555 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: 09 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John,

You can freely buy pepper spray over here. The answer though, is just to use common sense and a bit of 'street wisdom'. Don't go into dodgy areas alone (if at all); don't pick up hitch hikers; be aware of what's going on around you, etc. I suspect it's much the strategies you would use on a shopping trip to New York shocker

Posts: 408 | Location: Johannesburg, RSA | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Use your common sense and apply what Rikkie suggest. As with any cities in the world there are dangerous parts that need to be avoided, provided you stay away from such places the chances of being mugged in broad daylight are very slim. Dont flash cash around or your cellphone and just be aware of what is going on around you - muggers like soft targets and i presume that you dont look like a soft target.

Posts: 256 | Location: Africa | Registered: 26 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John, I realize Namibia is a long way away, and that it is easy to imagine things. But for your travels - in particular where you are going - you really have no need to worry. Yes, there is crime in Namibia, but it would be a LOT worse to stay in Windhoek than it is going to be driving up to Etosha and whereever you are going. Even in Windhoek, you'd probably be a good deal safer than in most US cities (although your car might get nicked...).

Worry not, and enjoy your trip!

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
John,

Ditto to Rikkie, Scott450, & mho -

Use common sense and be aware of your surroundings. Listen to what you are told by people that you trust ( your PH & other country residents) and you will probably be safer than you would be in downtown Washington DC, New York, or Los Angeles.

Posts: 71 | Location: St. Michaels, Maryland | Registered: 26 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
pepper spray is restricted from ALL your luggage they will dump it if they find it and maybe you with it.

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I felt much more "threatened" walking around downtown Atlanta than when walking around downtown Windhoek last year. In downtown Atlanta people yelled at me and my wife, called us racists, told us to get out of the "hood" and tried to sell us drugs.

Windhoek was very friendly with no bad experiences.

Still, listen to all of the above advice and maintain awareness of what is going on around you and don't go looking for trouble.

Posts: 307 | Location: Dallas,Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TexasHunter
posted Hide Post
My PH mentioned use common sense and don't put yourself in a position where you would be in harm's way. We went all over and never once felt threatend, watched, or anything. They knew we were American's and probably had money so they were trying to sell us things, but other than that I felt much safer than walking in the bario's or ward's of the cities I grew up.

We were even stopped at a military roadblock, once they realized we were american's on a safari (maybe 1 minute) we were quickly sent on our way.

Posts: 126 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 30 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
John, RELAX shocker

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of trophyhunter5000
posted Hide Post
A buddy and I are planning Zim in 09...

This would be the first African trip for both of us...

I've lived in major US cities and agree with what all the posters above said...

My friend on the other hand is a little paranoid...

He wants to bring a hand-gun (legally obviously)...

I told him it would be more hassle than it's worth and he'd probably get in more trouble with it than without it...

Am I right in telling my bud to leave his wheel gun at home?

Posts: 781 | Location: The Mountain State | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of namibiahunter
posted Hide Post
Exactly, John - just RELAX and enjoy yourself. You are safer in Namibia than in Detroit or L.A. I feel safe enough in Namibia to bring my 11 year old son.

If it makes you feel better, have a sjambok or knob kerrie within reach - but you probably will not need either one.

Namibiahunter

Posts: 665 | Location: Oregon or Namibia | Registered: 13 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Although visiting hunters are generally safe throughout Africa, it is always best not to venture off on your own because you could end up in the wrong neighborhood. Your PH and his staff will not take you anywhere dangerous.

Although I do not want to discourage your thoughts of self-defense, if you are attacked it is likely to be by 5 to 10 thugs, and unless you are one hell of a fighter, those are not good odds.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
just bring along your pet leopard on a leash Big Grin Cool

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnCrighton
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys. I'm an old Boy Scout, and always want to be over-prepared for various contingencies.

True, I don't look like a "target" - I'm 6'2, 215, in good shape and have a very "military" look (very short hair, broad shouldered, square jaw, etc.)

I have no plans to go into bad sections of town (though I could always get lost accidentally), but it was the long drives to Etosha and Walvis Bay that had me concerned. I'm going to be by myself.

Thanks again for the advice and help.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat. - Theodore Roosevelt

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
True, I don't look like a "target" - I'm 6'2, 215, in good shape and have a very "military" look (very short hair, broad shouldered, square jaw, etc.)

Firstly, chill out!!! Friends of mine from Canada do self drive holidays all over Southern Africa with their kid daughters, grannies etc with no issues.

The above posters are right, if the place looks dodgy, go no further!

Ask questions, be aware and check with locals if you are concerned. Many tourist related robberies, muggings etc in places I have travelled often have a strong relationship to 'bar strips' and party areas where foreigners stumle out of bars at 3am pissed out of their minds..easy target. Many tourists get into shit when they get tangles up in money/gambling/drugs/booze and girls.

Refereing to your statement above....this is great but many 'survival type' guys or sources will tell you that this can be meaningless. You can be Hulk Hogan with a iPod in, texting on your cell phone and your brain in neutral and you will shit kicked in seconds....looking like you are aware and swithced on will thwart criminals as they may think you can anticipate what is coming.

I am 6'4", 220lbs and very active in outdoor sports and consider myslef above average fitness for my age group (32) but will never rely on this.

While working in Ecuador my boss told me about a guy who was being mugged by transvestites outside his office. Ha ha you laugh, transvestites...An ex-US marine tourist (he later found this out) saw this happen and decide to help, my boss described him a big strong solid looking guy....after the scuffle the marine lay bleeding on the sidewalk and transvestites fled on foot...

The pont is, always look like you are aware of your surrounds, move with purpose and you become a 'harder target'. I use this apporach in any large city that I am unfamiliar with, especially at night in the 'party zones'.

DONT be aggressive or rude...it will not buy you any points!

Above all...you will love your trip!!!

Posts: 1274 | Location: Alberta (and RSA) | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
C'mon guys, answer the question. I take the question to be:
What if I find myself in a situation, while in Namibia, where I have to defend myself against bodily harm

the answer to this is not "be careful" or, "don't put yourself in that situation". Suppose my hunting partner and I are driving down a road, there is a roadblock ahead, NOT staffed by the military. Can I reach back and load my hunting rifle? What happens if I do get caught, and fight back and someone gets injured? Do I just leave the scene, or will the locals get upset that "one of their own" got the worst. Is it worse to leave the scene? I think that perhaps it is these questions that John was asking.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting thread this...
I have been a cop for 14 years, detective and until 8 months ago I worked on a tactical team in UK. I am 5'9" and 12 and a bit stone (which I think is 175lb) and have been in lots of fights and trouble. I am no martial artist either, but have only had a broken nose and some cracked ribs in that time, both in the first 2 years of service, when I was still very much a rookie.

Everything everyone has said about staying out of bad areas etc is good advice, and if you walk about under the influence of alcohol you increase the risk of assault by a huge factor. Avoiding booze when you are out makes a difference - enjoy it when you do not have to go anywhere.

Don't look like a victim, but don't look like a threat either - that attracts trouble too. People on holiday often wear "holiday" clothes - obviously new etc. Well washed clothes help you blend into the street, as do locally made shirts. The length of your shorts will even mark you down as local or tourist.

And what to do if you find yourself in trouble - exit asap. A lot of holiday crime starts with some clown approaching the victim and engaging them in conversation, the most innocent explanation being pracising English. Just remove yourself from the situation. It's an abnormal situation and you should recognise that.

If you find yourself in a situation where you think you might get hurt - same applies. Run. Drive. Go.
If you can't do that, talk. Or shout. Shouting is surprisingly empowering, and you can channel a lot of agression into it.

Fighting. If it comes to "hands on" it has all gone to sh**. If you can demostrate that you have tried other less violent ways to extricate yourself, that is a big help legally. But not vital. Probably all juristictions recognise that a pre emptive strike may be legal self defence.
As soon as it comes to hands on you fight like your life depends on it. Whether is a 15 year old, or whoever. It doesn't look pretty, which is often why police get complaints. It looks shocking. It is shocking. I'm not talking booting some guy who's lying on the ground, but so long as he is still a threat, so that probably means standing and agressive, you go in really hard, or if appropriate run away.
Knees and elbows, for running hard or fighting hard.

But avoiding trouble is still what you aim for. I knew a very "girly" South African girl - but she was hard as nails too, and said if she every got involved in an accident, or ran someone over particulary out in the country she would never stop, because she knew if she did, she would not be able to exticate herself from anything that followed.

But don't forget that fear of crime is widespread, violent crime less so. Namibia is a great place, and I felt safe there.

Posts: 120 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 28 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's good advice about "dressing down". I usually wear jeans and T shirts somewhat washed out and faded. I don't drink anymore and I stay out of nightclub areas as well. Don't wear jewelry. I've seen guys show up in Africa wearing gold Rolexes. Insane. Wear a Casio, carry a money belt under your clothes with a few bucks in a front pocket. Ankle wallets are a good defense agains dips. I carried a McBurnette folding hunter all over the world and replaced it with a Benchmade folder when Harvey died and his knives became collectables. They may be illegal, but I've seen guys beaten to hell and gone in Nairobi for just being out on the street. A good slash across the face or nose will usually deter the most agressive attacker, unless he is really drunk. You never know. Being alive to extricate yourself from trouble is better than the alternative.

I've felt safer in most African cities than in Atlanta or LA or Miami most of the times I've been over. Joburg and Nai-robbery are the exceptions.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnCrighton
posted Hide Post
Thank you - that is exactly the intent of my question. I appreciate some of the advice, but as for "Chilling Out!" - I'm very laid back and am not trying to come off sounding like a Nervous Nellie - I know you guys are trying to help, but I'm getting the impression that every time I ask a question like this people are thinking, "Jesus - this guy worries too much about inconsequential shit - he should chill out." Well, look at it from my perspective. I'm going to a continent I've never been to, by myself, a "stranger in a strange land", and I just want to make sure I plan for some contingencies so that I can make it home safely to my family.

I hope to god I don't have to deal with any situation like this, but some education and preparation would be invaluable if it does occur.

Thanks again, though, for the help and advice.
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
C'mon guys, answer the question. I take the question to be:
What if I find myself in a situation, while in Namibia, where I have to defend myself against bodily harm

the answer to this is not "be careful" or, "don't put yourself in that situation". Suppose my hunting partner and I are driving down a road, there is a roadblock ahead, NOT staffed by the military. Can I reach back and load my hunting rifle? What happens if I do get caught, and fight back and someone gets injured? Do I just leave the scene, or will the locals get upset that "one of their own" got the worst. Is it worse to leave the scene? I think that perhaps it is these questions that John was asking.
Peter.

One of Us
Picture of JohnCrighton
posted Hide Post
Thank you - that is excellent advice and I appreciate it. I think I need to get the wife to wash some more of my safari outfits now! Lucily for me, I've only got to worry about my driving/touring part - Windhoek (about 2-3 days/nights there) and then driving to Etosha and Walvis Bay/Swakopmund - but I don't drink to excess and will more than likely do most of my meals either at the hotels or during the day in very "safe" tourist areas. It honestly is just the driving portion that is of concern.

I know it sounds silly, but I'll sort of feel "naked" in a way since over here I always carry a concealed Glock and it honestly makes me feel much safer. Over there, no such luck. But such is the way it is - hence, the questions.

Jetdrver - luckily for me I don't have jewelry or expensive watches - I hopefully will not look like a "cash cow" Smiler

quote:
Originally posted by bullterrier:
Interesting thread this...
I have been a cop for 14 years, detective and until 8 months ago I worked on a tactical team in UK. I am 5'9" and 12 and a bit stone (which I think is 175lb) and have been in lots of fights and trouble. I am no martial artist either, but have only had a broken nose and some cracked ribs in that time, both in the first 2 years of service, when I was still very much a rookie.

Everything everyone has said about staying out of bad areas etc is good advice, and if you walk about under the influence of alcohol you increase the risk of assault by a huge factor. Avoiding booze when you are out makes a difference - enjoy it when you do not have to go anywhere.

Don't look like a victim, but don't look like a threat either - that attracts trouble too. People on holiday often wear "holiday" clothes - obviously new etc. Well washed clothes help you blend into the street, as do locally made shirts. The length of your shorts will even mark you down as local or tourist.

And what to do if you find yourself in trouble - exit asap. A lot of holiday crime starts with some clown approaching the victim and engaging them in conversation, the most innocent explanation being pracising English. Just remove yourself from the situation. It's an abnormal situation and you should recognise that.

If you find yourself in a situation where you think you might get hurt - same applies. Run. Drive. Go.
If you can't do that, talk. Or shout. Shouting is surprisingly empowering, and you can channel a lot of agression into it.

Fighting. If it comes to "hands on" it has all gone to sh**. If you can demostrate that you have tried other less violent ways to extricate yourself, that is a big help legally. But not vital. Probably all juristictions recognise that a pre emptive strike may be legal self defence.
As soon as it comes to hands on you fight like your life depends on it. Whether is a 15 year old, or whoever. It doesn't look pretty, which is often why police get complaints. It looks shocking. It is shocking. I'm not talking booting some guy who's lying on the ground, but so long as he is still a threat, so that probably means standing and agressive, you go in really hard, or if appropriate run away.
Knees and elbows, for running hard or fighting hard.

But avoiding trouble is still what you aim for. I knew a very "girly" South African girl - but she was hard as nails too, and said if she every got involved in an accident, or ran someone over particulary out in the country she would never stop, because she knew if she did, she would not be able to exticate herself from anything that followed.

But don't forget that fear of crime is widespread, violent crime less so. Namibia is a great place, and I felt safe there.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it comes down to it strike to the eyes, knees, and the throat. Do not bloody them if possible, as much as 70% of the locals may have HIV or Aids. Use your feet your elbos and palms. Do not use your fist to the face, You do not want any exposer to their blood.
Those rules apply any were in the world now days.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

One of Us
Picture of JohnCrighton
posted Hide Post
Hadn't even thought of that - so, my usual defensive move of tearing their throats out with my teeth should be shelved, eh? troll

quote:
Originally posted by J D:
If it comes down to it strike to the eyes, knees, and the throat. Do not bloody them if possible, as much as 70% of the locals may have HIV or Aids. Use your feet your elbos and palms. Do not use your fist to the face, You do not want any exposer to their blood.

JD

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fair point - but if you do end up fighting don't let the thought of blood or any other consequences get in your way. Chances of infection are smaller than the chances of getting the sh** kicked out of you if you take your eye off the ball.
If I know I'm going to a scrap I put on leather gloves - protects your hands from teeth, scrapes and fluid. Yeah, I know rubber gloves are best, but leather does the job for a quick fight. I get the impression you work in healthcare so you appreciate the risks eg Hep B easier to pick up than HIV etc.
Not sure if wearing the gloves out to dinner is a good loook though.....?

Posts: 120 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 28 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you're staying at the Afton House while in Windhoek, Louie, or another of his family will drive you wherever you wish to go.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JohnCrighton:
Hadn't even thought of that - so, my usual defensive move of tearing their throats out with my teeth should be shelved, eh? troll

quote:

JD

So, J D, (HIV aside, eh?) I guess your advice is worthless to the all knowing JC, who asked for it in the 1st place???

Bad form, Crighton but do have a good, SAFE, trip. With your self stated, self admired physique, "square jaw", narrow hips and wide ass (to match your mouth), etc.,,you oughta be ok, Pard.

Myself, I fear for the Locals. Bad Dude, you are, Bad Dude, we're all impressed.

Someone please post this to the bad guys in Africa to let'em know he's coming.

And you label another as a troll!!

DB

Posts: 1370 | Location: Home but going back. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Give it up, Dude, and stay home! You are so __________ attentive you sound like Terry Carr. Smiler

How did little ole me hunt Africa twenty times without so much worry as you before your first? popcorn

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19358 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
John

I have traveled all over the world mostly as a backpacker and never had any touble and yes there is touble out there. The best weapon short of gun is a collaspable hiking staff with a carbide tip. I come close to using it on the streets of La Paz, Boliva three years ago. Someone grabbed me and I raised it and they vaporized into the crowd.

Check out the Lonely Planet web site and go to the Thorn Tree forum which is about world travel mostly by backpackers who travel the world. Go to the Africian section and then Namibia. There are hundreds of questions ask and thousands of recent anwers. Or you can ask questions. Most of the travelers are of modest income and travel close to the ground and any scams or problems are posted.

Example: Several years ago when there was unrest in Nepal and Katmandu was questionable they were a hundred post a day from trekers and travelers. I think that the forum had more current information then the US Embassy.

One of Us
Picture of JohnCrighton
posted Hide Post
WTF? Sir, I have no idea why you find it necessary to insult me - I thought this forum had some decorum and rules regarding this sort of boorish behavior.

I never labeled anyone as a troll. I don't know where you get that from, unless you didn't get my little "tearing out throats" joke and the fanged, hairy-armed creature icon I used.

Do you get your jollies by insulting complete strangers online when they ask a legitimate question? Grow up.

quote:
Originally posted by Dungbeetle:
quote:
Originally posted by JohnCrighton:

quote:

JD

So, J D, (HIV aside, eh?) I guess your advice is worthless to the all knowing JC, who asked for it in the 1st place???

Bad form, Crighton but do have a good, SAFE, trip. With your self stated, self admired physique, "square jaw", narrow hips and wide ass (to match your mouth), etc.,,you oughta be ok, Pard.

Myself, I fear for the Locals. Bad Dude, you are, Bad Dude, we're all impressed.

Someone please post this to the bad guys in Africa to let'em know he's coming.

And you label another as a troll!!

DB

One of Us
Picture of JohnCrighton
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Pard, for the useful information - I will check that place out as well.

I'm still shaking my head at some of the responses here - I guess I just can't understand the "don't worry, be happy" attitude that some people have - I'd love to not have anything happen to me, and chances are that is exactly what will happen, but if something does happen, I'd rather be prepared thanks to asking what some here think are "stupid" questions and getting some good answers.

If you don't have anything constructive to add and would rather insult me or say things like, "You shuld stay home", then please respect my wishes and go elsewhere - you are doing nothing to help this discussion but showcase your rudeness.

quote:
Originally posted by Pard Cummings:
John

I have traveled all over the world mostly as a backpacker and never had any touble and yes there is touble out there. The best weapon short of gun is a collaspable hiking staff with a carbide tip. I come close to using it on the streets of La Paz, Boliva three years ago. Someone grabbed me and I raised it and they vaporized into the crowd.

Check out the Lonely Planet web site and go to the Thorn Tree forum which is about world travel mostly by backpackers who travel the world. Go to the Africian section and then Namibia. There are hundreds of questions ask and thousands of recent anwers. Or you can ask questions. Most of the travelers are of modest income and travel close to the ground and any scams or problems are posted.

Example: Several years ago when there was unrest in Nepal and Katmandu was questionable they were a hundred post a day from trekers and travelers. I think that the forum had more current information then the US Embassy.

One of Us
Picture of JohnCrighton
posted Hide Post
Yes, I do work in the medical field - luckily I have my Hep A and B vaccines, and recently updated Tet/Diptheria and will be getting a few more shots soon.
quote:
Originally posted by bullterrier:
Fair point - but if you do end up fighting don't let the thought of blood or any other consequences get in your way. Chances of infection are smaller than the chances of getting the sh** kicked out of you if you take your eye off the ball.
If I know I'm going to a scrap I put on leather gloves - protects your hands from teeth, scrapes and fluid. Yeah, I know rubber gloves are best, but leather does the job for a quick fight. I get the impression you work in healthcare so you appreciate the risks eg Hep B easier to pick up than HIV etc.
Not sure if wearing the gloves out to dinner is a good loook though.....?

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Take Angelina Jolie with you.

She seems to have protected Brad Pitt.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13613 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
John,

Your concerns of personal safety while traveling in a strange country says a lot. It shows you are trying to get the most out of your trip within your budget. Good for you. Nothing worse than surprises that may cost you a precious day of hunting.
Having only been in Namibia for 10 days I surely don't qualify as an expert but I will share my observations anyway.
While traveling off the ranch my PH always had something in a small canvas bag right in front of his seat. Never looked into the bag but I presume it was a good luck charm.
If I had to guess where a lone foreign traveler (not counting bad places) would be the most vulnerable, it would be on the roads if you had a breakdown or a flat tire. I certainly would think carrying the tire iron on the front floor as paranoid.

Keep your eyes open and stay alert, have a great trip!
Aloha
elkfitter

Posts: 284 | Location: Hayden, Colorado | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnCrighton
posted Hide Post
Thanks, elkfitter - hopefully the Toyota Corolla I will rent is like every other Toyota I've ever owned or rented - rock solid and no breakdowns Smiler The car rental place says it is maintained and serviced after every rental, and it will be a 2006-2007 model. I'm a very conscientious and safe driver, so I'll keep my speed down and watch out for animals and sharp objects/pot holes so hopefully won't have any flats or breakdowns.

Hmm - I wonder if Saeed would let me borrow one of his cheetahs? thumb

quote:
Originally posted by elkfitter:
John,

Your concerns of personal safety while traveling in a strange country says a lot. It shows you are trying to get the most out of your trip within your budget. Good for you. Nothing worse than surprises that may cost you a precious day of hunting.
Having only been in Namibia for 10 days I surely don't qualify as an expert but I will share my observations anyway.
While traveling off the ranch my PH always had something in a small canvas bag right in front of his seat. Never looked into the bag but I presume it was a good luck charm.
If I had to guess where a lone foreign traveler (not counting bad places) would be the most vulnerable, it would be on the roads if you had a breakdown or a flat tire. I certainly would think carrying the tire iron on the front floor as paranoid.

Keep your eyes open and stay alert, have a great trip!
Aloha
elkfitter

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by onefunzr2:
If you're staying at the Afton House while in Windhoek, Louie, or another of his family will drive you wherever you wish to go.
having Louie drive you will be difficult since the Afton Guest house is in Joburg and so is Louie

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13386 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
where I have to defend myself against bodily harm?

John, most of the time you'll have your backpack with you. Just make sure you keep your hunting knife within easy reach or at least something that could be used as a weapon. I went solo on my first trip and was aprehensive to say the least. Although my PH did meet me at the airport, I had no idea what to expect. On our way to Elisras (Limpopo area) we stopped to fill up at one of the gas stations. It was like any huge truck stop that you'd see in the States. I went in and bought a couple of candy bars while my PH filled up and just made sure I didn't speak or make eye contact so they couldn't tell that I was a foreigner. The drive (all done at night) actually reminded me a lot of driving from San Antonio to west Texas. You go from one big city (it's more modern over there than I would have thought) to empty, lonely highways with a bunch of small towns in between.
If I had to make the drive by myself the next time I wouldn't be worried in the least. Just make sure you have a full tank of gas and double check the tires and spare. Also, split your money up. Divide it up and put it in three different areas. That way if something should happen you might only have to 'give up' a third of it.

Posts: 3456 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 17 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"I certainly would think carrying the tire iron on the front floor as paranoid."

I meant to say: I certainly would NOT think carrying the tire iron on the front floor as paranoid.

Posts: 284 | Location: Hayden, Colorado | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnCrighton
posted Hide Post
Excellent advice - I"m also planning on having travelers checks and trying to make sure I pay for most of my stays before I leave. I assume that most banks in the larger towns/cities cash travelers checks and do currency conversions just in case I need money.

quote:
Originally posted by bluefin:
quote:
where I have to defend myself against bodily harm?

John, most of the time you'll have your backpack with you. Just make sure you keep your hunting knife within easy reach or at least something that could be used as a weapon. I went solo on my first trip and was aprehensive to say the least. Although my PH did meet me at the airport, I had no idea what to expect. On our way to Elisras (Limpopo area) we stopped to fill up at one of the gas stations. It was like any huge truck stop that you'd see in the States. I went in and bought a couple of candy bars while my PH filled up and just made sure I didn't speak or make eye contact so they couldn't tell that I was a foreigner. The drive (all done at night) actually reminded me a lot of driving from San Antonio to west Texas. You go from one big city (it's more modern over there than I would have thought) to empty, lonely highways with a bunch of small towns in between.
If I had to make the drive by myself the next time I wouldn't be worried in the least. Just make sure you have a full tank of gas and double check the tires and spare. Also, split your money up. Divide it up and put it in three different areas. That way if something should happen you might only have to 'give up' a third of it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
John, travellers checks are pretty much passe these days due to currency conversion rates, at least in most places other than Africa. You basically get ripped off at both ends. In Namibia I had to go to the bank to convert my travellers checks into cash.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have been going to Africa since 1982, and have never, ever even seen any sort of problem that one might get into.

I go nowhere without my PH.

I don't pay for anything, even if we go to the shops. I ask my PH to pay for everything, and I pay him - this has to be agreed on before hand, of course.

I have done this with every single individual I have hunted with. They are normally glad to get paid in dollars, and they pay in local currency.

If the worst comes to the worst, swallow your pride and try to walk away from trouble.

Remember, you are a guest in a foreign counry, and try your best to avoid getting into any sort of trouble.

I have lived about 20% of my life in other countries, and have never, ever had any problems.

In fact, I have found that even when one does makes mistakes, if one is polite, and appolizes, things work out in hs favor.

Ultimately, avoid that in-your-face-I am-right-and-you-are-wrong-attiude.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68604 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
John, travellers checks are pretty much passe these days due to currency conversion rates, at least in most places other than Africa. You basically get ripped off at both ends. In Namibia I had to go to the bank to convert my travellers checks into cash.
Peter.
I also found this to be the case. You're better off using a credit or debit card. My Alaska credit union issued debit card worked in SA and Namibia. If you go that route it's good to notify your bank where you may be using your card so they don't think it's fraudulent usage.

Posts: 513 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 October 2003Reply With Quote