Find
Notify
Tools

Dangerous Plainsgame!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of miketaylor
posted
I was reading Martin Pieters post about the ZPHGA AGM/BALL and in particular the Skippy Award where the PH was mauled by a Genet cat.

It reminded me about a hunt that i was filming back in 2005 in Chewore South where the client had shot an Eland. When we moved closer it wasn't moving so the PH (who i wont name as he posts on here sometimes and he might be a little embarrassed) came up from behind the downed Eland to check if it was dead. When he got in range to touch the eye with his rifle the Eland kicked out and caught the him with one of its hooves about six inches above his kneecap if it had been on his kneecap he would have been in serious trouble but luckily it cought him on the meaty part of his leg.

Has anybody here been wounded by a Plainsgame animal or had something embarrassing happen to them like the PH with the Genet cat?

Mike

With kind regards
Mike
Mike Taylor Sporting
Hunting, Fishing & Photographic Safaris Worldwide
+44 7930 524 097
mtaylorsporting@gmail.com
Instagram - miketaylorsporting

Posts: 706 | Location: England  | Registered: 22 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of emron
posted Hide Post
Charged by a wounded booking agent once-not sure hes plains game, though! Smiler

Posts: 396 | Location: usa | Registered: 26 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
In African Game Trails the great Theodore Roosevelt writes several times about the proclivity of some African horned species to charge.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aren't bushbuck known for being fairly aggressive?

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
The first person killed by imported plains game into one oif the hunting ranches in Texas was a cowboy on the Y-O Ranch, and that animal is known by most to be very dangerous when wounded. This was a Gemsbok!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by emron:
Charged by a wounded booking agent once-not sure hes plains game, though! Smiler

Wounded booking agent definitely belongs in the DG category!!!!
JCHB

Posts: 423 | Location: KZN province South Africa | Registered: 24 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Stephen Goldfinch
posted Hide Post
Charged by an angry honey badger. While running I fell in a warthog hole, breaking my back and herniating a disc. My vote for most dangerous non-dangerous game, is....The angry honey badger.

"Sleep When You're Dead!"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A PH in Zim, no names mentioned bitten by a Reedbuck, bitten by a Gorilla also been bitten by most dangerous game animals around..... The reedbuck takes the cake.
rotflmo

Posts: 49 | Location: ZIMBABWE | Registered: 17 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry guys - same PH above has also won the "skippy Award"

Posts: 49 | Location: ZIMBABWE | Registered: 17 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
In 2010 I shot an average size bushbuck while walking a sand river in Chewore South not far from Mana Angwa camp. At the shot, it tumbled / ran down the river bank breaking all four legs at the ankles in the process. It charged, and I short cycled my Dakota .375 H&H, resulting in only a "click" for my second shot. Mike Payne, my PH, had to shoot the bloody thing twice with his double rifle to stop the charge about 10 feet from my feet. I didn't even realize it was a charge until the whole thing was over. Needless to say, I have a new found respect for wounded bushbuck!
Mangwana

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not sure how dangerous this was but a PH friend was told me a story about a client a shooting warthog. They went and took thier pictures and put a stick in its mouth to hold it open for the pictures. When they finished taking the pictures the warthog got up and ran away.

Good Hunting,

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
In my limited experience I would vote Bushbuck. Click on my Zambia hunt report link and read the story "Kamikaze Bushbuck" and you will know why.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
In 1990, a well known PH in TZ was pinned against a cruiser by a "dead" zebra.

The zebra was shot as a lion bait and fell to the shot. The hunting party was short on daylight and the PH raced the vehicle up to the zebra and jumped out of the cruiser immediately adjacent to the zebra. About that time, the donkey, in the throws of death, started kicking and thrashing, giving the PH a pretty good whipping whilst he was pinned against the car. The PH was sore and lame for a few days, but continued hunting.

The PH lamented that he'd been mauled by a leopard and hit by a buffalo, but that he'd be the laughing stock of Tanzania if he met his demise at the hooves of a zebra.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by safari-lawyer:
In 1990, a well known PH in TZ was pinned against a cruiser by a "dead" zebra.

The zebra was shot as a lion bait and fell to the shot. The hunting party was short on daylight and the PH raced the vehicle up to the zebra and jumped out of the cruiser immediately adjacent to the zebra. About that time, the donkey, in the throws of death, started kicking and thrashing, giving the PH a pretty good whipping whilst he was pinned against the car. The PH was sore and lame for a few days, but continued hunting.

The PH lamented that he'd been mauled by a leopard and hit by a buffalo, but that he'd be the laughing stock of Tanzania if he met his demise at the hooves of a zebra.

Ruark tells of that same story happening to Hary Selby in Horn of the Hunter!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I didn't get bitten thank god but on a hunt in Zim i shot a croc with a .338 in the neck tell tale broken spine,got all the pic's moved it around a bit and while looking to get a few more pic's before loading the bloody thing blinked Eeker hence a bit more medicine was given Big Grin

Posts: 896 | Location: Langwarrin,Australia | Registered: 06 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of leopards valley safaris
posted Hide Post
Ive been charged by a Buff a bushbuck an a Black wildebeest. . . the black wildebeest almost got me holycow

Dave Davenport
Outfitters license HC22/2012EC
Pro Hunters license PH74/2012EC
www.leopardsvalley.co.za
dave@leopardsvalley.co.za
+27 42 24 61388
HUNT AFRICA WHILE YOU STILL CAN
Follow us on FACEBOOK https://www.facebook.com/#!/leopardsvalley.safaris

Posts: 980 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 06 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I pulled a drowning impala ram from the salvinia in Bumi Bay once. After hauling it about twenty feet through the chest deep, weed clogged water I was absolutely knackered, as was the impala.

As we collapsed on the the, instead of thanking me profusely, he turned and lunged at me. I just had the strength to roll a little and his horns raked my chest, instead of impaling me! I kicked him on the neck and he headed off towards the airstrip (probably to boast to the gaggle of impressionable ewes awaiting!) I lay bleeding and defeated - by an impala!

Nyati, elephant, impala ... you are just as dead!

When I think about the crocs I've seen in the bay, I shudder at the foolishness of my action.The nicer gender will have that effect ... she had tears in her eyes and said, "Shame,hey, can't you do anything?"

what else could I do?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Push her in! LOL

Posts: 434 | Location: Wetcoast | Registered: 31 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot and wounded a zebra in Namibia a few years back. We had a good blood trail so we took out after him. Caught up with him and both the PH and I shot - zebra ran off. Caught up again and both shot - zebra ran off. Ran after it, caught up again and both shot again. This time the zebra started walking in a circle under a tree. The PH said "don't shoot again, he's going down." Sure enough, the zebra plopped down and looked real dead. We walked up to him, walked around admiring things and looking at all the bullet holes. The PH leaned his rifle against a bush and took out his pipe. I was just kinda standing there about 10 feet from the zebra and the tracker reached out with the shooting sticks to poke its nose. All of a sudden up comes one PO'd zebra! Big yellow teeth and a very bad attitude. I still had my rifle so I put it down for good. The funniest thing was the tracker - when the zebra came off the ground he took off so fast the sticks were still in the air and he was behind a tree! Looked like a Roadrunner cartoon!

Posts: 247 | Location: Round Rock, Texas | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I hear you, Kevin.

A wounded zebra once tried to kill me in Tanzania, in the southern Selous. I was in a complete state of disbelief at what was happening.

The damned thing charged straight at me. I was sure he would swerve, since I was standing in the open with my PH and three trackers and he was staring right at me, but he just kept on coming.

My PH was in a bad place, and couldn't shoot. I remember our three Maasai trackers screaming "Piga, piga, piga!!!" at the top of their lungs as the zebra bore down on me.

I dropped him with a hip shot to the chest at just a few paces. I would have fired sooner but for my shock and surprise at the whole situation.

My .375 put him down for the count. (One more reason, in my mind, to hunt PG with a .375, and not only when DG are around. I'm pretty sure that my 7mm, which thankfully was back in the truck, would not have done the job.)

Damnedest thing, but there you have it.

When I looked over at my PH, after the zebra was dead, his face was as white as a sheet. Hell of thing to have one's client killed, but killed by a zebra? That would be just too bloody embarrassing!

Our trackers were so relieved that they nearly laughed their asses off (all at my expense, of course).

But I'm here to tell you that a zebra charge is only funny if the zebra loses!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13633 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
I hear you, Kevin.

A wounded zebra once tried to kill me in Tanzania, in the southern Selous. I was in a complete state of disbelief at what was happening.

The damned thing charged straight at me. I was sure he would swerve, since I was standing in the open with my PH and three trackers and he was staring right at me, but he just kept on coming.

My PH was in a bad place, and couldn't shoot. I remember our three Maasai trackers screaming "Piga, piga, piga!!!" at the top of their lungs as the zebra bore down on me.

I dropped him with a hip shot to the chest at just a few paces. I would have fired sooner but for my shock and surprise at the whole situation.

My .375 put him down for the count. (One more reason, in my mind, to hunt PG with a .375, and not only when DG are around. I'm pretty sure that my 7mm, which thankfully was back in the truck, would not have done the job.)

Damnedest thing, but there you have it.

When I looked over at my PH, after the zebra was dead, his face was as white as a sheet. Hell of thing to have one's client killed, but killed by a zebra? That would be just too bloody embarrassing!

Our trackers were so relieved that they nearly laughed their asses off (all at my expense, of course).

But I'm here to tell you that a zebra charge is only funny if the zebra loses!

What does "Piga" mean?

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
What does "Piga" mean?

It is a Kiswahili word which means "hit".

Seeing there is no word definition for "shoot" in the kiswahili dictionary, the word piga is used to cover anything to do with inflicting an injury (or death).

Examples: to shoot could be translated as piga risasi (hit with bullets) - piga mkuki as in hit with a spear; piga mshale as to hit with arrow, piga ngumi as in hit with a fist....and so on and so forth Big Grin

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Dyker: An impala with attitude!
Cool

I shot a gemsbok in Namibia in 2007 and it collapsed like a sack of potatoes. We got down to where it lay and were admiring it when it got up on its front legs and started crawling toward us with pure hate in its eyes. Three or four fast shots later the scene was quiet.
Wow I shot poorly on that trip!

Frowner

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16633 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fujotupu:
quote:
What does "Piga" mean?

It is a Kiswahili word which means "hit".

Seeing there is no word definition for "shoot" in the kiswahili dictionary, the word piga is used to cover anything to do with inflicting an injury (or death).

Examples: to shoot could be translated as piga risasi (hit with bullets) - piga mkuki as in hit with a spear; piga mshale as to hit with arrow, piga ngumi as in hit with a fist....and so on and so forth Big Grin

Yes, it's an oddity of the language that they will say "piga" when they mean "shoot" and also "piga" when they mean you've hit your target.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13633 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
I've never had any African antelope or zebra give me a problem, but I did have a hairy moment in Wyoming with a pronghorn I'd shot. When I walked up to it and touched one of its horns, it jumped up and we went around and around with me holding both horns. I couldn't believe how strong an injured 100-pound animal could be. Two friends who were with me eventually got tired of laughing and killed it.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
On the first gemsbok I shot in Botswana, I nearly got gored. I shot it at some distance and when we walked up to it, it appeared dead. I was too casual and as I nearly came into range my PH, Cecil Riggs, warned me to not go closer because wounded gemsbok will gore you if you get close enough. Just about then, that gemsbok cow whipped her horns around and nearly was able to reach me. I can only imagine what it would have been like to have been skewerd by those long sharp spears.

Posts: 3901 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote