New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another hit job movie?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone seen a preview of this movie or know anything about the storyline?

Given CNN's reputation I can't imagine that this movie will be positive for hunting. Probably something along the lines of Blackfish.

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/...uisition-1201771216/

The Orchard and CNN Acquire Documentary ‘Trophy’ — Sundance 2017
The doc that premiered at Sundance Friday looks at the evolving relationship between big-game hunting and wildlife conservation.

The Orchard and CNN Films have acquired the North American rights to the Sundance entry “Trophy,” directed by Shaul Schwarz and Christina Clusiau. The Orchard is taking all North American rights except broadcast, which will be handled by CNN. A studio is in the process of negotiating international rights to the film.
The acquisition comes on the day of the premiere of the movie, which was produced by Lauren Haber and Julia Nottingham of Pulse Films and screens in Sundance’s U.S. Documentary Competition section.
“Trophy” is a “startling exploration of the evolving relationship between big-game hunting and wildlife conservation,” and will be released this year on at least 150 screens, according to The Orchard. The film looks at endangered African species like elephants, rhinos and lions, and investigates the industries of big-game hunting, breeding and wildlife conservation to ask the question: What are the implications of treating animals as commodities?
“With The Orchard’s theatrical distribution ingenuity and CNN’s diverse audience, we can’t think of a better combination of companies to reach audiences on all sides of a potentially polarizing issue,” Schwarz and Clusiau said in the statement.
“Trophy” was executive produced by Thomas Benski and Lucas Ochoa of Pulse Films, Lars Knudsen (“The Long Run”), Dan Cogan of Impact Partners, Sharon Chang of 19340 Productions, Lilly Hartley and Jeffrey Tarrant of Candescent Films, Maxyne Franklin of Bertha BRITDOC, Kate Townsend of BBC Storyville, Victoria Steventon of Influence Films and Tom Hardy and Dean Baker.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
directed by Shaul Schwarz and Christina Clusiau

I think I answered my question. He's a NatGeo contributing photog and she is a photog/human rights educator.

One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted Hide Post
Better get ready to buckle down for the sh*t storm after its released.

Posts: 756 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 13 April 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
quote:
With The Orchard’s theatrical distribution ingenuity and CNN’s diverse audience, we can’t think of a better combination of companies to reach audiences on all sides of a potentially polarizing issue,” Schwarz and Clusiau said in the statement.

Reminds me of the letters the producers at CBS sent to game and fish departments seeking their help in filming its "Guns Of Autumn" hit piece.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It should have some positive notes for hunters. Philip Glass, a hunter posts in the film posted about it over on AH. He linked some reviews from the Sundance film festival. Here are the links:
http://www.sltrib.com/home/484...ndance-review-trophy
http://variety.com/2017/film/r...y-review-1201961409/
http://www.indiewire.com/2017/...nce-2017-1201771356/

Bruce

Posts: 375 | Location: Gillette, Wy USA | Registered: 11 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
While we all fear the worst, reading the three reviews suggests it may be something different. I am troubled by the review references of poaching as hunting, it does sound as if the documentary tries to examine the issues from multiple viewpoints. Antis will use it to bash hunters because that's what they do. Hopefully, non-hunters with an open mind can find value in the movie that supports the positive aspects of regulated hunting.

Posts: 3874 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am looking forward to seeing it. A friend who is an operator (and shall remain nameless for now) had them in his camp during some of the filming. He is, naturally, on tenterhooks waiting to see what the film unwinds like, but he did say that from the questions he was asked and the things they wanted to see, plus the filmmakers' feedback he thought it would be worthwhile contributing to.

We shall see, but it would be nice to start the year off with something positive!