THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Trip of a lifetime in Zim with Chifuti Safaris on Wednesday

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trip of a lifetime in Zim with Chifuti Safaris on Wednesday
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Trip number three to the land of dreams!!!!!! Buffalo and tuskless cow elephant this time, with Chifuti Safaris.

Guns have been shot at every imaginable range, and off-hand, off sticks, and several diferent improvised rests. Bags have been packed, re-packed, and un-packed several times. Meds are picked up, cameras tested and batteries charged, prayers tendered, money changers palms greased. Half the clothes and twice the money of the last visits. What am I forgetting?

There must be some thing I'm forgetting, but can't think of a thing. How about some suggestions?

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Best of luck, have a great time.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9367 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Godspeed.....best of luck and straight shooting.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Candy for staff, shirts you don't wear anymore for your trackers, permanone (unless you like tick fever), mini-flashlight, sunscreen and rabbit's foot. Good hunting Blank!

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6804 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Gaiters? Anti-malarials? Bug dope? Form 4457?
Soft case for rifle(s)? Gun permit X4? Exact change for your entry visa?

Individual Crystal Light packets (lemonade, tea, etc) are a nice addition to bottled water.

Artifical sweetener for tea / coffee if you are accustomed to that rather than real sugar.

Who will be your PH?

Good luck and enjoy!

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Blank,

Have a GOOD one brother!!!!!!!!

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Hope it is the best trip of your life...TH

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's been a great season there so far, heavy and late rains kept the bush thick very late in the season (I was there in April and it was like Cameroon!!!!) You should have perfect conditions, and I know you'll have a great hunt. Good luck and shoot straight! Craig

Posts: 265 | Location: central california | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you are prepared. Go have fun!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to everyone for the words of encouragement and suggestions. Tomorrow will be the last trip to the range for me and my partner. Just 20-30 rounds thru each gun, and be confident with final zero's. Our guns of choice are Sako 375 H&H with 300's, Ruger #1 450/400 3" with Hornady DGS and DGX, and my Ruger Hawkeye in 416 Ruger, with 400 DGS and DGX.

We are really looking forward to this experience, and hoping for the best. We have each been twice to Namibia and RSA, but never managed to do it together so will be a treat for us.

Craig: How would Andrew and Paul feel about bringing some cigarrettes in for the crew? Know how much I enjoyed them when I smoked, and they probably would enjoy a pack or three from the duty free as a special treat.

I plan on some hard candies for everyone, and a couple special items for the end of the hunt goodbyes. This weekend will be the final lay out and pack.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Blank, "the times they are a changin'!" Not all the camp staff smoke these days, but smoking remains more prevalent in Third World countries than in ours. I have never smoked, but I still pick up a carton in Duty Free (damn, expensive today, I'm glad I never did!), and those who smoke will greatly appreciate. Do you know who your PH will be?
(PS: Pretty cool choice of rifles/cartridges)

Posts: 265 | Location: central california | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KPete
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a great trip ... and there are some great suggestions on the other posts. The only thing I'd add is bringing $100 in one dollar bills. They come in handy for spot tips along the way, buying trinkets hither and yon, and the occasional backsheesh for the ticket and baggage handlers in Zim to overlook your overweight luggage and such.

Have a great time and don't forget to post pictures on your return!

Kim

Merkel Double .470 NE
Whitworth Express .375 H&H
Griffin & Howe .275 Rigby
Winchester M70 (pre-64) .30-06 & .270

"Cogito ergo venor" René Descartes on African Safari

posted Hide Post
Best of luck on a dream hunt from the MM crew....
HH

one of us
posted Hide Post
Blank, have a ball! I'm really interested in how you do with the 450/4003", cause I just sent the money for one, yesterday. Should get it the day you leave.

Have a ball! clap

Mad Dog

Posts: 1184 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Blank, I am really concerned about you going to the Dark Continent with an obviously inferior rifle, the 416 Ruger! On a recent thread in the Big Bores Forum, all kinds of experts have pronounced this to be a fact. I believe the terms "canoe paddle", and "tomato stake" were both used to describe your firearm of choice. DO YOU HAVE CONFIDENCE IN IT? I fear for your safety.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Enjoy every single minute of your Safari and don't forget: A detailed story and pics upon your return!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Peter: Thanks for the concern, I know I am living right on the edge! The bullets barely made it down the barrel, rattling all the way, and went thru the paper of the Perfectly Shot buffalo target sideways today. Sure glad we didn't use heavy cardboard for a backer!!!!! Takes about as long to reload my Ruger #1 450/400 as a muzzleloader does, too!

Seriously, I really love all the practicing and getting ready part of a trip. All three rifles shot great, no problems with optics or gear, and we are set to go. The better halves are dreaming up ways to occupy themselves and spend money while we are gone, so we can probably shoot as much as we want without getting into trouble.

Have most of the OTC meds that are available in Idaho, and will leave a lot when we come home. I have always found they can find a use for them in hunting camp.

Good luck to all who follow us, and will see what we can show-and-tell you when we return.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I know I am living right on the edge!

Love it! I own a CZ in 416 Rigby and was lookig for a Ruger in 416 Ruger that had decent wood. Didn't find one. I look forward to the show and tell.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take extra memory cards for the camera,,, take up no space and record more memories,,,,,,,,

you can make more money, you can not make more time

Posts: 786 | Location: Mexia Texas | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cmfic1
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a heck of a hunt, enjoy your experience with both eyes wide open.

Good luck. Anxious to see the report on your return.

Rod

--------------------------------
"A hunter should not choose the cal, cartridge, and bullet that will kill an animal when everything is right; rather, he should choose ones that will kill the most efficiently when everything goes wrong"
Bob Hagel

Posts: 977 | Location: Alberta, Canada. | Registered: 10 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Make sure to bring plenty of small US bills as well. We tend to bring big denominations to cut down on wallet thickness, but forget all the tidbits needed for baggage people, hotel staff, etc when we're getting to and from camp.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Good luck and have fun!!!!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote