New
Find
Notify
Tools

Zebra Stripes - Not About Lions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
There is an interesting article in Real Clear Science about a study that suggests that the common wisdom that Zebra stripes are all about confusing predators, mainly lions is not accurate. The study finds that the stripes are there to discourage and ward off biting flies, horse flies and tse tse. If true, we may see a new generation of PH's and hunters outfitted like referees and convicts plying the bush... Cool Here's a url to the artilce:
http://www.realclearscience.co...ot_lions_108573.html

Posts: 318 | Location: No. California | Registered: 19 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Interesting article. I'm surprised they didn't follow-up their thesis with field testing.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did they ask a Zebra for their opinion??

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Who sells zebra striped clothing ?

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Oh, hell, just get some wife beaters and spray paint them with stripes. Fly will know no difference.

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote