Find
Notify
Tools

Top Quality Rifles
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What are some of the good ones today?
I hear many complaints about almost every brand on the market these days. Are there any rifles that you can pretty much count on to be top quality right out of the box/off the shelf? If so, what are they? I'm talking strictly controlled round feed bolt actions here.

Thanks,

jfm

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Current era Dakotas,if your buying new.

Bob

DRSS
DSC
SCI
NRA & ISRA

Posts: 551 | Location: Northern Illinois,US | Registered: 13 May 2010Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Echols Legends.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
I don't know if there are any that could not use a little work especially if you are talking DG rifles unless you go full custom. The average rifle is built for the average guy which is probably 5'9" and 160lbs? If that does not describe you it may be a good idea to get the rifle fitted to you. That and fully checking functioning with your loads is essential.
Any factory rifle could probably benefit from some minor tweaking.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Singleshot03
posted Hide Post
Savage- with an accustock and accutrigger

Posts: 1493 | Location: Cincinnati  | Registered: 28 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
How about Empire rifles, any good?

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4772 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an Empire .375 used to take Leopard, Hippo and all sort of plains game in the Selous. Very accurate and nice wood stock. I had a synthetic stock made to use in Alaska and will field test it this Fall on Moose and Bear. I like the quick detachable scope mounts that comes with the rifle.

Posts: 98 | Location: NW Missouri | Registered: 26 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would be hard pressed to find a better rifle than my CZ Safari Classic. I know several people here say that any CZ needs to be sent out for work, but I would dispute that with the Safari Classic line.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Quite simply, the one that feeds perfectly, has the required balistics, and is accurate. It is how well it functions not it's cost, or who's name is on it.

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TerryR:
I would be hard pressed to find a better rifle than my CZ Safari Classic. I know several people here say that any CZ needs to be sent out for work, but I would dispute that with the Safari Classic line.

I would agree except that CZ didn't use to crossbolt them so I had mine glass bedded so, if yours came with crossbolts, I'd agree.

The best out of the box with nothing needing to be done to the trigger, with slick feeding, etc., would be my Blaser R 93. I would have two criticisms of it however. First of all, the way the stock is configured is not the best to use the iron sights thereof. Secondly, Blaser, for some reason, chose to put the sling swivel stud on the end of the stock rather than on the bottom which makes it problematic using a Harris bipod.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hog Killer:
Quite simply, the one that feeds perfectly, has the required balistics, and is accurate. It is how well it functions not it's cost, or who's name is on it.

Keith
I'd reckon the ability to shoot the thing (stock fit etc) is equally important as those other points...

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
The Winchester Custom SHop used to build some really accurate M70s. Don't know about anything since the move.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
quote:
Echols Legends

At over $30,000 each they should be good.

American Hunting Rifles sells some nice custom hunting and semi-custom rifles also.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
just buy an AHR

Posts: 1396 | Registered: 24 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LionHunter:
The Winchester Custom SHop used to build some really accurate M70s.

tu2

At one time...you would be hard-pressed to find better work than that which came from the Winchester Custom Shop.

I have a 1957 M 70 .458 WM out of the WCS that will shoot 1 ragged hole groups all day long at 100 yds. with .450 gr NF FPS and AA 2230.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37821 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Among factory rifles:
Sauer
Blaser
Mauser (M03 and 98)
Remington Custom Shop
Dakota

Posts: 20161 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have yet to come across a new rifle that is not good to high quality - CZ, Winchester, Remington, HS Precision, Dakota, Echols, you name it - they are all pretty good right now.

Posts: 10364 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I have yet to come across a new rifle that is not good to high quality - CZ, Winchester, Remington, HS Precision, Dakota, Echols, you name it - they are all pretty good right now.

I gotta agree with this.

Posts: 42343 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
<generalwar>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by jfm:
What are some of the good ones today?
I hear many complaints about almost every brand on the market these days. Are there any rifles that you can pretty much count on to be top quality right out of the box/off the shelf? If so, what are they? I'm talking strictly controlled round feed bolt actions here.

Thanks,

jfm

These are all fine custom rifle makers to name a few. In no specific order.

Martini Gunmakers
Lon Paul
Reto Bueler
John Bolliger
Griffin & Howe
D’Arcy Echols
Jack Haugh

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Based on personal experience, Sauer 202 and Blaser R93. These two are not CRF rifles but they work EVERY time and that is the point after all, isn't it?

Posts: 952 | Location: Mass | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my experience, the the percentage of American factory rifles that are flawed is very discouraging. Your rifle must feed, fire and extract flawlessly. In addition, the sights must be reliable, iron and glass. I have found the Ruger products to be better than Remchester, but the new Winchesters are better. I have found Sako to be quite good out of the box, but have insufficent experience with other to offer on opinion.

Before you take any new rifle to the African fields (or any other) you should put at least 100-200 rounds downrange.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
quote:
just buy an AHR

+1

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike70560:
quote:
Echols Legends

At over $30,000 each they should be good.

American Hunting Rifles sells some nice custom hunting and semi-custom rifles also.

mike, I believe the Legend is currently about 1/2 that.

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CARLOSTHEJACKAL
posted Hide Post
I have 3 Dakota Africans, one of which is a traveler switch barrel, and I absolutly love them.

NRA Life Member
DSC Life Member

Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
Ronald Reagan

Posts: 486 | Location: SE TEXAS | Registered: 26 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
How about Empire rifles, any good?

Empire makes a beautiful rifle, accurate, and well balanced. However, You need to realize what you are buying, George Sandman (sp?) buys rifle parts from all over the country and farms labor out to assemble everything. How many gunsmiths have you dealt with that held there quoted lead time? Now imagine shipping a rifle all over the country to multiple gunsmiths (none of which meet deadlines). The result is never knowing when or if you are going to get your gun. My empire (as I recall) was approx. 18 months late and took an attorney to get it that quick. With that said, It is a beautiful accurate rifle and George did "agree" to a discount for the trouble.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I forgot to mention HS Precision in my note above. To me, they're one of the best deals out there on a no-nonsense, accurate, semi-custom rifle. With a bit of trial and error with ammo types, I've never had one (of many 10) that wouldn't meet the 1/2" guarantee with some type of factory ammunition.

Posts: 20161 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You should be able to pick up a used Interarms Whitworth for a kilobuck or so. Should meet your criteriae in .375 or .458. My brother and I have Whitworths in .375 H&H, and they're both 1" guns.

A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul. G.B. Shaw

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Empire makes a beautiful rifle, accurate, and well balanced. However, You need to realize what you are buying, George Sandman (sp?) buys rifle parts from all over the country and farms labor out to assemble everything. How many gunsmiths have you dealt with that held there quoted lead time? Now imagine shipping a rifle all over the country to multiple gunsmiths (none of which meet deadlines). The result is never knowing when or if you are going to get your gun. My empire (as I recall) was approx. 18 months late and took an attorney to get it that quick. With that said, It is a beautiful accurate rifle and George did "agree" to a discount for the trouble.

I have heard murmurs about Empire being in financial trouble. I noticed thay did not show up to their booths at DSC. Does anyone here know more?

Posts: 2826 | Location: Houston | Registered: 01 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are just so many good rifles out there these days, it's down to what you like and need - that's about it!

FWIW: The Mauser switch barrel models are among the best out there for the money that I have seen.

They have classic looks come with test targets and are very reasonable for the standard grades.

Then again, I bought a recent production New Haven Win. 70, .458 from a forum member for 1100 or so and had the barrel cut to 23.5, bedded the stock, had the saftey and trigger smoothed up for about 550.00.

This rifle has crossbolts, CRF / drop in capabilities and shoots great!

For under 2K its a great gun...The last thing I'm going to do is have it re-chambered to .450 Ackley. hen it will digenst .458 WM, .458 Lott and .450 Ackley...No fear of running out of ammo with that set-up!

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Singleshot03:

rotflmo

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
<generalwar>
posted
I do like the new Blaser. G&H has a splendid deal going on a kit setup right now.

One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Prechtl Mauser 98
Dakota

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TwoZero
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bush:
quote:
Originally posted by Singleshot03:

rotflmo

One thing Savage has proved has been that if you make a rifle for more than $500 you have no excuses for a bad trigger or accuraccy!

It shows just how good our manufacturing tech has become.

Unfortunately it also shows that the US makers are not using this tech to make the best guns they can.

They are using modern technology to make the cheap guns even cheaper!!!

Posts: 270 | Location: Bay Area, CA | Registered: 19 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
check out HS Precision.

http://www.hsprecision.com/shop/

You can get a custom rifle for under 3k. Extremely acccurate.

Posts: 405 | Location: Dallas, Pennsylvania | Registered: 16 January 2006Reply With Quote
<Mike McGuire>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Among factory rifles:
Sauer
Blaser
Mauser (M03 and 98)
Remington Custom Shop
Dakota

For big bores add Wby Mark V. In wood models has two internal cross bolts, action lug and barrel lug bedded, metal rod through the wrist of the stock and in 378, 416 and 460 has in line feed.

No one has more big banger experience than Wby.

one of us
posted Hide Post
something like my mauser centenarium 416?

mario

Posts: 1421 | Location: northern italy | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
Mario I have the same, what number is yours ?

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
number 40. Yours?

mario

Posts: 1421 | Location: northern italy | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK. I am going to reveal something about myself that I have been keeping a secret.
What in the heck is an AHR? AHR this, AHR that, .458 AHR, etc etc.
I consider myself pretty well read (my wife calls it obsessive)on rifles, on-line and in print. To my recollection, this is the only place I read "AHR," so assume it is something in the Accurate Reloading culture that I have missed.
Would someone gently enlighten me? Or point in the right direction?
Thanks,
Anonymous ignoramus

Posts: 106 | Location: Northern CA | Registered: 23 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lou, PM sent

American Hunting Rifles
www.hunting-rifles.com