Find
Notify
Tools

Meat hunters?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted
There seems to be some that claim to be meat hunters and publicly disassociate themselves from so called trophy hunters.

Whats that about and really what is the difference?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9954 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Very much so. The perception being that the trophy hunter is a thoughtless bastard indiscriminately killing for his own sick pleasure, while the meat hunter is providing for his family, is conservation-minded, and is the new softer, gentler hunter. It's a big thing here now.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Then again, having just now seen the Helibacon ad that popped up when I tried to watch the Doctari video, maybe they are on to something.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
There seems to be some that claim to be meat hunters and publicly disassociate themselves from so called trophy hunters.

There is a common belief in some circles that "trophy hunters" are solely seeking self-aggrandizement, and that when they kill an animal it's just to "cut off it's head" and leave the rest to waste.
Some of the people who believe this hunt.
It does little good to point out that this is not true, or to point out that if it were true that all the resources contained in that animal would be recycled in the ecosystem precisely like it died a natural death.

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 10396 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Andrew,

Some people wear the "I'm a meat hunter" thing as a badge of courage and with sort of an elitist flair. What I find is most of these guys have never seen or taken a trophy anything and are often the guys that go for what's easily attainable. Nothing really wrong with that but because a guy works a little harder or can spend a little more money he's definitely not less of a hunter. I personally never retrieved a set of horns until the mid 80's when I shot my first real trophy. I didn't see any value in just bringing the horns home.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Andrew,

Some people wear the "I'm a meat hunter" thing as a badge of courage and with sort of an elitist flair. What I find is most of these guys have never seen or taken a trophy anything and are often the guys that go for what's easily attainable. Nothing really wrong with that but because a guy works a little harder or can spend a little more money he's definitely not less of a hunter. I personally never retrieved a set of horns until the mid 80's when I shot my first real trophy. I didn't see any value in just bringing the horns home.

Mark

True. Although I've seen a few who kill some big stuff. I think many toss the "meat hunter" title around to try to make their hunting less offensive to those in their circle with whom they want to maintain favor. Hunting has taken a kind of left lean recently. Just read about the "hipster hunters."

one of us
posted Hide Post
As I have often said, no needs to eat meat to live - they do so for their own pleasure - a fact I point out whenever someone asks me if I eat everything I kill. I then say, "So now that we have established we both kill animals for our own pleasure, why is your behavior morally superior to mine?"

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Yes, quite a large number of people use it to validate their hunting as an excuse.

Kind of horseshit. You either hunt or you don't. What you hunt, and how you hunt is of little importance.

I am not into shooting babies unless something is wrong with them. I am really torn up about the idea of shooting "watermelon" wild boars here to control numbers. Not sure how I am going to go about this, as I'd like to hunt. I just don't care to shoot the babies. I am not necessarily a trophy hunter either.

I am a travelling hunter, who likes to put his disposable income into conservation while having an adventure. Shooting a bunch of fawns, does and watermelon wildboars isn't something I am interested in.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Help me out: what's a watermelon boar?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is an excellent article on the subject from a recent DSC publication.

Article by DSC Foundation President Richard Cheatham

Scott Tobermann, DVM
Past President, Dallas Safari Club

Posts: 308 | Location: Dallas,Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Small pigs the size of watermelons!

Posts: 835 | Location: Plover, Wi | Registered: 04 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
I have done more than a little trophy hunting, including taking 3 of the big 5.

In the past decade I have made a point to kill all of the meat my family(daughter and I) consume. To me it makes the hunt far more serious when your year's meat depends on your ability to get the job done.

Regardless it's all the same. As someone said above, hunter and non hunter alike, none of us need to eat meat. We hunt because we like to hunt. Non hunters eat meat because they like it(often they ignore the fact that they are responsible for the death of the animals they eat).

We are being foolish if we claim to have trouble understanding why non hunters dislike the idea of killing an animal only for its antlers/horns and skin. These are people who can't even face the fact that they are killing animals if they eat meat. I have had them tell me, "I don't kill animals. They are already dead when I buy the meat!"

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can I be mostly a meat hunter who also hunts for the occasional trophy? I am fortunate enough to be able to hunt white tails with bow and rifle for 20-30 days of each year. I also am able to hunt turkeys, waterfowl and usually a western hunt for elk, muleys or pronghorn each year as well. Certainly I will shoot a big buck or tom when I can, but I usually prioritize getting a year's worth of meat for the freezer before I go strictly for the big ones.
I know plenty of hunters who prefer to prioritize big horns, mostly because they or their family aren't crazy about venison. I don't see anything wrong with that either.

Posts: 571 | Location: southern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 08 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chuckmaxman:
Small pigs the size of watermelons!

Oof

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm often a meat hunter. When hunting meat for myself, I try to find the biggest, gnarliest old buffalo bull that has had a long and happy life full of fighting and chasing pretty cows, and is beginning to run out of teeth.

I killed such a bull on Sunday with my .300H&H. The meat is in the freezer and the skull is boiling so that I can get it painted nicely by a local artist - employment and income for Aboriginal people, even though it's a drop in the bucket.

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aren't "meat" hunters just guys waiting on the right "trophy"?

I've yet to be impressed by anyone that can actually cook wild game, other than myself, of course.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
while

I give away virtually 100% of the deer, antelope, elk, doves, ducks, and other game I shoot in NOAM. Most of it I don't care to eat and I have friends and relatives that love wild game meat.
If this makes me a trophy hunter or some other deplorable, so be it.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2646 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
quote:

A person who eats what they shoot is more honorable than one who doesn't? It's the belief that you shouldn't kill for any other reason than hunger or provision. I'd LIKE to eat at least some of what African game I shoot. Unfortunately, that is denied me. I'd claim to be both, myself. No desire to either hunt or eat bear, lion, etc. Absolutely in favor of those who'd like a trophy hunt for anything legal.

Barry

Posts: 4881 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I`m kind of happy that we don`t talk about sport/trophy/meat hunting. We just say hunting. If the animal has something that you would have as a trophy. You of course take it along wth the meat!

I think the antis to easily can muster up a picture for "average" people about the trophy hunter that takes 37 trophies in 7 days. Which one of them was a lion that he ordered via picture in the catalog etc. He of course shot it from the car after 7,5 minutes. Suddenly all trophy hunters are like this and everyone is angry. They know how to bullshit! That hurts all hunters!

Posts: 1091 | Location: Norway | Registered: 08 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Just some observations, nothing more.

One reason I never hunted in Africa, I could not bring any meat home. Yes, I know that none of it would have been wasted and that I could eat as much as I wanted to, while there.

The reason I hunted in Canada twice, is because I could bring meat home.

To me personally, killing a species that I normally do not have the opportunity to hunt and the trip getting to the hunting area is the biggest part of the trophy.

The size of the animal or its horns is peripheral, it is the killing of the species that is important, being able to go to the freezer and pull out steaks from an elk or a musk ox or a black bear 3 or 4 months after the kill is part of the TROPHY to me.

The only animal I really wanted to go to Africa and hunt is Cape Buffalo, but the one thing that stopped me is that 3 months after getting home I could not pull out steaks to grill.

Also I like giving meat away to family/friends.

Having worked as a zookeeper, I met lots of folks that while not true anti-hunters, many had hang ups about "Trophy" hunters, but if I took the time to discuss the issue and get them to understand on some level that meat did not go to waste and the monies being spent, helped not only local economies, but taking out the older trophy animals is, conservation wise, sound management for the species.

One of the few hang ups concerned the displays many modern hunters take part in that really does not show respect for the animal.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I'm a hunter.

Edit: I just noticed 10,001 posts. And Wifezilla says that I lack communication skills.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cajun1956
posted Hide Post
Although I am a novice when it comes to "trophy" hunting Southern Africa, my limited experience is that ALL of the so called "trophy" is processed for human consumption including the entrails (i.e. - heart, liver, bladder, stomach, intestines, kidneys, lungs - ?, etc.), tongue, tail, cheek meat, etc.

How many so called "meat" hunters leave the big game animal's (i.e. - deer, antelope, bear, moose, elk, caribou, goat, sheep, etc.) entrails in the field?

How many so called "meat" hunters shoot a 300# boar hog under their corn feeder, cut out the tusks, and then walk away without recovering the carcass (knowing all along that with proper preparation, it is edible)?

I have little patience when self righteous "meat" hunters attempt to LECTURE me (in a condescending manner) regarding "trophy" hunting.

DSC Life Member
HSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
SCI
RMEF

Posts: 2021 | Location: Republic of Texico | Registered: 20 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Everything I shoot gets eaten, except maybe coyotes. I don't know who eats it all, but between me and family, coyotes, bears, eagles and other scavengers, I figure not much goes to waste. So, yes, I'm a meat hunter(with a pretty damn nice trophy room! Wink )

Posts: 3901 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

One gets really popular TV shows on Netflix

Others sells DVDs at DSC and SCI

Guess which is which Wink

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the states, I AM a meat hunter. Yes, I can afford to go and buy meat at the grocery store but prefer to harvest my own protein.
However, overseas, we can't import the meat so I guess that makes me a trophy hunter as well.

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1113 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:

The ONLY "Trophy Hunters" I disassociate myself from, are those that have, shall we say some very odd habits and beliefs.

1. Hunters that have either been fortunate enough or well enough off financially to hunt "Trophy Whitetail Deer" with a guide or on a High Fenced Trophy Hunting operation, making fun of a first time hunters, kid or adult, first "Free Range" small/legal 8 point, saying things like "You should have let that one go, or did you think it was a doe".

2. Hunters that act like they just made the winning touchdown at the Super Bowl, complete with the dancing and High Fives.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:

If we are honest with ourselves, everyone knows that humans have been hunting for as long as we have been on Earth. This is really no different than bears, lions or lepards. All the predators hunt to survive. Man was no different.

But as man moved from hunter-gatherer to an agricultural model hunting ceased to be necessary. Man continued to hunt for meat but on a more limited basis. Then as now, hunting was often not about the meat but about something far more meaningful.

Now, after hunting for meat for nearly two million years, in the past +-100 years man has created a new form of hunting that does not hold the value of the animal's meat as part of the goal(trophy hunting). Sure, the meat gets used but not by the hunters themselves. In fact many hunters eat only domestic meat. This flies in the face of millions of years of evolution.

Seeing that so many of us hunters can't fathom how this could be off putting to non hunters has me very worried about the future of hunting.

Jason

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
quote:
2. Hunters that act like they just made the winning touchdown at the Super Bowl, complete with the dancing and High Fives.

I agree Crazy. I quit watching hunting shows because of these idiots.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ManuelM
posted Hide Post
I see two sides of the "meat hunter" title going on nowadays, some are the guys that actually hate on hunters going for big animals as trophies and that just enjoy hunting to fill the freezer, that is fine, what I don't believe to be fine is the fact that they don't admit they also do it for fun, just as all hunters do, and act as if was the only way they would put meat on the table, as it was a need.

On the other hand waving the meat hunter flag is usually more accepted along the media and I have seen more and more celebrity hunters do this, like the shockeys who in their social media often take as much time on showing they are using the meat from their animals as they do showing the hunt or the animal itself, non hunters do look at this in a more positive way, actually I get the most grief from my non hunter friends when I shoot coyotes than when I hunt deer as they know I use the meat of the latter.

At the end of the day it is all hunting,and why you hunt should not and DOES not make you a better hunter or person.

Manuel Maldonado
MM Sonoran Desert Hunters
https://www.facebook.com/huntingMM

Posts: 531 | Location: Hermosillo, Sonora | Registered: 06 May 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Although I am a novice when it comes to "trophy" hunting Southern Africa, my limited experience is that ALL of the so called "trophy" is processed for human consumption including the entrails (i.e. - heart, liver, bladder, stomach, intestines, kidneys, lungs - ?, etc.), tongue, tail, cheek meat, etc.

Indeed and an independent survey calculated that Zambia hunters donated $600,000 worth of game meat to their attached communities and very little goes to waste from trophy hunting. There is even a demand for Lion and Leopard products from the Asian market if you wanted to process them for consumption.

Take me for example and if I shoot something during the season it would be a couple of Impala for the freezer or an animal to make some biltong. I cannot deny it is good hunting and that I very much enjoy stalking the wilds with a light rifle. I simply cannot afford to trophy hunt unless I can find myself a cheap buffalo.

I find the holier than thou attitude somewhat hypercritical and would bet that these individuals would probably choose a heavy horned buck over a fat doe if there was a choice?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Now, after hunting for meat for nearly two million years, in the past +-100 years man has created a new form of hunting that does not hold the value of the animal's meat as part of the goal(trophy hunting). Sure, the meat gets used but not by the hunters themselves. In fact many hunters eat only domestic meat. This flies in the face of millions of years of evolution.

Indeed and interesting to note that early man decorated themselves with trinkets and fur from the hunt and probably shared the same emotions and thrill for the hunt.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Hunting is hunting
It's a skill and passion in one
For me?
I'm a hunter, no other excuse

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Indeed and interesting to note that early man decorated themselves with trinkets and fur from the hunt and probably shared the same emotions and thrill for the hunt.

Very true. And some of the the oldest art, cave painting, often depicted scenes of successful hunts(often with exaggerated antlers/horns: they appreciated the horns just like we do!). But the bottom line remains: they were hunting for food.

The antlers, horns, trinkets, pictures(paintings) were often important remembrances of the hunt but the they would not have been the main goal of the hunt. Food was the main goal of the hunt.

Many of us know that it makes no difference if we hunt for meat or for the horns/antlers, the outcome is the same. But for the rest(the vast majority) hunting for meat is acceptable, hunting for trophies is not.

Jason

-Jason Brown

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I am neither a trophy hunter nor a meat hunter.

I am just a hunter.

I enjoy hunting any species legally on the quota to be hunted.

What is wrong with that??

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
quote:
quote:

Very true. And some of the the oldest art, cave painting, often depicted scenes of successful hunts(often with exaggerated antlers/horns: they appreciated the horns just like we do!). But the bottom line remains: they were hunting for food.

The antlers, horns, trinkets, pictures(paintings) were often important remembrances of the hunt but the they would not have been the main goal of the hunt. Food was the main goal of the hunt.

Many of us know that it makes no difference if we hunt for meat or for the horns/antlers, the outcome is the same. But for the rest(the vast majority) hunting for meat is acceptable, hunting for trophies is not.

Jason,

I will be now offering 'meat hunts' for both Lion and Leopard. And a minimum 120 day safari for those who want to consume their elephant.

Cheers

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of Venture South
posted Hide Post
quote:

Andrew, its the same liberal PC bullshit that invades every facet of our lives.

We kill animals, and who the hell has the right to tell us how to use them or whether or not its "OK" to mount their skulls on the wall.

The sooner people realise that they are killing their own sport by caving to "Liberal Hate Mentality" fueled by the Democrats and the Media, the sooner we can get rid of their menace

Divided we fall.

Specialist Outfitters and Big Game Hounds

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. - Winston Churchill

Posts: 794 | Location: Namibia Caprivi Strip | Registered: 13 November 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fair game

Jason,

I will be now offering 'meat hunts' for both Lion and Leopard. And a minimum 120 day safari for those who want to consume their elephant.

Cheers

That would make African hunting more acceptable to the masses. And if you can find a client who can eat an entire elephant in 120 days I'll pay the trophy fee!
Big Grin

Jason

-Jason Brown

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In Africa somebody will always get the meat.

one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Barry Groulx:
In Africa somebody will always get the meat.

So will everywhere else tu2 I am yet to see a hunt where meat was wasted on behalf of the trophy - happened many times vice versa tho.

quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
I am neither a trophy hunter nor a meat hunter.

I am just a hunter.

I enjoy hunting any species legally on the quota to be hunted.

What is wrong with that??

Nothing - hunt is a hunt and there is always more than one thing to take.

It was a last day of the hunt and we were not hunting - just cruising around, when all of the sudden we stumbled on a group of Bushpig. The moment we saw them the hunt was on – it never crossed my mind a meat or a trophy one - it was a great hunt.

Once we got to them, they were zigzaging and disappearing between bushes. I was just about to pull off on one when it ran out of sight. That game repeated a couple of times and they obviously got tired of it, since we made a final attempt of flanking across the ridge and couldn't see any of them anymore. When all was seemed lost a single big animal appeared below us and the rest is history.

It gave meat for the hungry and provided nice ivory, that I was more than happy to take . It will stay with me till the end of days.

Posts: 2031 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
quote:
Originally posted by fair game

Jason,

Cheers

That would make African hunting more acceptable to the masses. And if you can find a client who can eat an entire elephant in 120 days I'll pay the trophy fee!
Big Grin

Which begs the question - Is the hunting and eating of a baby elephant an acceptable practise under the terminology of meat hunting?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal