New
Find
Notify
Tools

9.2x62 vs.338 Win mag
 Login/Join

<Aaron Rust>
posted
I am not intending to start a war. I am a great admirer of the 9.3 and have used it in Africa and America. I am considering taking the .338 on the next trip back home to Africa an leaving the 9.3 behind. Who has used the .338 and give me your impressions vs. the "KING" 9.3
Thanks
Aaron

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not in the group you called on for response, but the only advantage that I can think of in a .338 is greater velocity which would only matter on especially long shots. If I were not expecting shots substantially in excess of 300 yards, I would take the 9.3 unless I liked my .338 better.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have and use both, I cannot tell much difference in them other than the .338 will reach out there and touch something a good deal further, at least theoritically it shoots flatter....

As to killing power on game including Cape Buffalo I can't tell any difference, your on the weak end of the string with both, but they work with good shot placement...

I suppose if force to choose between the two that I would opt for the .338, but I would hate to make that decision.

Posts: 41865 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the 9.3 I think it's a gem of a round !!

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only 9.3 I have ever used is the 72R which is not in the same league, that said I am a hugh fan of the 338 having used it on my 3 Africian trips and had no problems with it's performance. In the future (which includes DBG) I will supplement it with 375 H&H, but it is still #1 for plains game. Just my humble opinion if one can have such a thing, eh. [Big Grin]

Oh yea I noticed you refered to the 9.3 as the King, I understand, as I call my 338 My Africian Queen!

[ 11-26-2003, 16:50: Message edited by: Die Ou Jagter ]

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used a .338 when I went to Africa, and all I can say is that it did the job very well.

Posts: 428 | Location: Michigan USA | Registered: 14 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I also have both and use both depending on the area where I'm hunting in - the .338 WM in more open areas where shooting distances tend to be longer like some parts of Namibia or the South African High Veld, whereas the 9,3x62 wich 285 gr. bullets is my favourite for the thick thorn bush / jess in northern South Africa / Zimbabwe etc.

By the way, both are great cartridges [Smile]

Best regards,

Erik

Posts: 175 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Love the 9,3 - especially in our local bushvelt conditions where there is no call for shots over 150 m or so.

Running total so far is 41, one shot kills on buffalo in a row (my own hunting not backing up a client) and five elephant. Cannot fault that 9,3x62 except that finding a mold and gass checks for cheep practice ammo was a nightmare!

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used a .338 Win Mag in Africa. I've shot Kudu (side/heart), Sable (side/neck/spine), Eland (side/lung), Zebra (front/heart) and Wildebeest (side/backside/side/who knows probably lead poisoning). As seen, all were one shot kills except the Wildebeest. All ran less than 60 yards except the Wildebeest (he went about 150 yards were a second shot planted him and a third that was unnecessary but at the "behest" of my PH). As far as distances all were under 50-75 yards except the Zebra which was a bit over 150 yards.

Posts: 932 | Location: Delaware, USA | Registered: 13 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ganyana
I believe we spoke at the Dallas Safari Show.
We both had our "little bag" of recovered bullets.
Please contact me by e-mail

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote