THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Re: 0404 jeffery VS 375 h&h for the big five.

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 0404 jeffery VS 375 h&h for the big five.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Will, no offense intended. I to am happy as a clam to be an American. But a Sharps 45-2.6 is better than any!

To each his own and have fun with your Rem is that's what you like.

Brent

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jorge,
It is a simple load of 95 grs. of IMR-4831 for 2653 FPS with a 400 gr. bullet, out of an original 27 inch barrel, and it will also do that in many 26" barrels....

I got this load from Hoyt Bodding (?) the gun scribe, some years ago in an article he wrote...I also had Norfork bullets run all the tests on it and they got almost that out of a shorter barrel, it is not a stiff load, it is the result of the big case and a good slow burning powder....

Like most you are accepting very old mild loadings offered for the past many years..but in a good modern bolt gun or a 98 Mauser this is one heck of a load, but I like the 2350 FPS you mentioned, I like that in a 375, 416 or 404, it is a time proven formula for killing big beasts...I can get that with about 90 grs. of IMR-4831...I'm not much on velocity with the big animals.

My next project is going to by an FN Mauser rebarreled to a 10.75x68 and I will shoot 350 gr. Barnes X and 350 gr. Bridger FN solids at 2350 FPS very easily and hold a truck load of ammo, has a Lyman receiver sight...It will weigh the same as the FN did in a .270, about 8 pounds with a 24" barrel...It will make a deadly Buffalo gun and real easy to pack. I shall name it "The Toy"

Posts: 41865 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Brent,

I'm just spoofing you.

Posts: 19317 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Just curious Will, why so you think the Rem. is the best of the lot? Higher pressures, belted case, good bullets though. I'm going w/ a .404 to be different & the case design was 50years ahead of it's time (if you look @ the current crop of carts.).

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote