Find
Notify
Tools

What is it about spiral horns?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted
Ahmed and Brad have just posted their hunt reports having both taken incredible Lord Derby. Which ever way you look at this Eland it reeks of royal game. It positively oozes Africa and the sweet smell of dust, sweat and diesel. You hunt them on foot and in the heat. Same goes for most spirals with the exception of the Mountain Nyala and Sitatunga

But nothing gets the heart pumping more than a magestic Kudu bull or a glimpse of a big old Bushbuck. The hunting is often some of the finest and the spirals are a good run for your money.

Personally I would like to see Ethiopia but the Nyala there does nothing for me. Shots seem to be long misty affairs and I much rather poke around some Lion territory and eek out a good Bushbuck. It is one hunt you do on your toes and you have to be in tune with the bush in order to secure your quarry.

So what is it about the spirals?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9956 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Majestic!!!

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Out of all the trophies in the skinning shed these kids wanted to be photographed with this Kudu?

Little acorns grow into big trees they say?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

one of us
posted Hide Post
Andrew,

If I could take a bongo and Mountain nyala I'd die a happy hunter. I've been very lucky with the rest taking 5 varieties of bushbuck, 3 of kudu, all the eland, sitatunga and common nyala. unlike you though I think the bongo and Mountain nyala are the most interesting of all the spiral horns just because they live in some of Africa's most exotic places and the lure of new adventure is what makes safari so interesting to me.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Spiral horns are tops with me. I love hunting Bosbok and Nyala (common) but include the Kudu. That to me is hunting at its finest, especially if you hunt hard for that mature ram/bull. Great pics Andrew.
Cheers,
David

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6814 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, Keith, bosbok and Nyala remind us of when we were yougsters trying to find a dang Whitetail that now eats our shrubbery!

Posts: 696 | Location: Soddy Daisy, TN USA | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Andrew,

If I could take a bongo and Mountain nyala I'd die a happy hunter. I've been very lucky with the rest taking 5 varieties of bushbuck, 3 of kudu, all the eland, sitatunga and common nyala. unlike you though I think the bongo and Mountain nyala are the most interesting of all the spiral horns just because they live in some of Africa's most exotic places and the lure of new adventure is what makes safari so interesting to me.

Mark

Probably right Mark and I hunt Sitatunga in remote swamps some which have never been hunted or explored by the likes of us. But to hunt a bushbuck amongst elephant and other grim beasts along the course of a sandy river bank, one up is an absolute privilege.

To hunt a Kudu that knows you are on his tracks is also hard to beat. Fence or no fence it matters not to Kudu or Eland.

The reason I posted this was one of the AR group that is joining me in Luangwa is keen to hunt Bushbuck as his priority specie. Great choice but not ideally suited to a group hunt. What I am now thinking is that he hunts with one of my gun bearers who carries along a big stick and sets off into the sticks by himself? To hunt the spiral how it should be done and not just a chance encounter.

This area in the Luangwa has some of the largest horned Bushbuck I have ever seen. I have failed to hunt them down and not for want of trying.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just slowly walk the banks of the river among the hippo returning from grazing , the belligerant Ele Cows with their young, the Crocs and occasional Lion awaiting a Puku watering, using above normal woodscraft and eyesight, and you will find Mr Bosbok....

Posts: 696 | Location: Soddy Daisy, TN USA | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom In Tennessee:
Just slowly walk the banks of the river among the hippo returning from grazing , the belligerant Ele Cows with their young, the Crocs and occasional Lion awaiting a Puku watering, using above normal woodscraft and eyesight, and you will find Mr Bosbok....

Tom,

Try the heat of the day when everything else including the hunters wants to sleep off their lunch. Mr Bosbok will find this the opportune time to come down and drink from the river. This is one creature that I have studied and hunted hard. I know what they eat, their habits and I know where they are found.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I dearly love hunting those elusive bastards! Wish I had the $$$$ to expand my horizons for those I will likely never hunt....I have two Limpopo, two Chobe (both from Zambia, btw),one East African (my monster) and one really black East Cape for which I passed one 2" longer that coloured more like a Limpopo.
What great animals the bosbok are to hunt!!

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
I dearly love hunting those elusive bastards! Wish I had the $$$$ to expand my horizons for those I will likely never hunt....I have two Limpopo, two Chobe (both from Zambia, btw),one East African (my monster) and one really black East Cape for which I passed one 2" longer that coloured more like a Limpopo.
What great animals!

Agreed but hardly compare to the Lord Derby which must be the top spiral.

Like I said I have had opportunities to hunt Lion and Leopard, daring yes but rather slowly walk the river bank, the thorn and thicket for Bushbuck or Kudu.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agree but will never financially or physically at my age be able to pursue Lord Darby, Bongo or Mtn Nyala

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
The daggaboy of all spirals?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Agree but will never financially or physically at my age be able to pursue Lord Darby, Bongo or Mtn Nyala

Tom,

Then you must hunt the others and they are all great.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn!!! That is awesome!!

One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
What did the last one measure fairgame?

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by A.Dahlgren:
What did the last one measure fairgame?

The tape put it at under 18. Biggest I have recorded (pick up) was 22. Biggest I have seen was probably 20 and this one was picked up last season across the river from us.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
WOW, my best below although not in the same league.

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Walking down the river, as you say, and this one was standing on an island covered with greenery about 80 yards away. One shot with the 7X57, and as my PH would say "Bob's your uncle!"
Kenya, on the Tana River, 1975.

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Awesome trophies, guys. Spirals are my favorites.

~Ann

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
shocker

shocker shocker

shocker shocker shocker shocker

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Good lord but those are some serious bushbuck... I'm still bush league in comparison!

I agree that while sable are majestic and roan border on royal game for me... the sight of any spiral horn usually stops me in my tracks! Superb animals, all of them.

I am planning sitatunga in the next couple of years and still counting pennies for bongo and LDE. Alas, I am afraid Mountain Nyala and Menelik bushbuck are above my meager pay grade!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Andrew

Thats great bushbuck i will give any of my cajuns for one of thoses.Im 100% on you hunting bushbuck on the river then any otherthing.But thats only me and im a bushbuck fanatic.I would love to have all the spiral horns in my trophy room but our Rand aint doing good so i need to rob a bank to do the mountain nyala bongo and lord derby eland hunt.But i think a bushbuck sitatunga hunt with you will be great.

Luan

Posts: 261 | Location: Lydenburg | Registered: 19 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll die unrequited. I have no bushbuck and will never return. I do have a very representative kudu, my favorite trophy, but I came up dry in Limpopo on bushbuck.

Those are awesome trophies. All of you are to be congratulated.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dear Fairgame

Living in Australia we had few hunters that went to Africa when I was growing up.

A well known Australia hunter Gorden Alford shot a kudu.

At age 12 I wanted to hunt one.

You need to keep in mind I do not come from a hunting family.

At age 21 I had a Kudu, eland in the bag.
The kudu is still my prized trophy. More so than the Lion!!!!!

My son bagged a bush buck last year 14". I still not have one.
He wanted a kudu but I did not have the funds.

To answer you question the spiral horn just look great. Nothing more.

Regards
Mark

Posts: 376 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is certainlty something special about spiral horns. Witness the photographs posted by fairgame above, and no further exsplanation is needed.

Peter Flack has founded a club dedicated to these majestic and beautiful animals, should any of you be interested.

Spiral Horn Antelope Club | About SHAC

Posts: 392 | Location: Pretoria, South Africa | Registered: 30 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by A.Dahlgren:
WOW, my best below although not in the same league.

It is in the same league and a beauty you got there. Great photo by the way.

Forget the inches and concentrate on the hunting. The bushbuck can offer some of the best.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
A few that have fallen to me over the years.
Cool

SUSTAINABLY HUNTING THE BLUE PLANET!
"Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful, murder respectable and to give an appearence of solidity to pure wind." Dr J A du Plessis

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scriptus:
A few that have fallen to me over the years.
Cool

Nice and well presented.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
After 4 safaris I was finally able to get a crack at an old bush buck. Caught sight of him around 12:30 on a walk back to the truck. 15 minutes later he was in the salt.

The danger of civilization, of course, is that you will piss away your life on nonsense

Posts: 782 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 22 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by umshiniwam:
There is certainlty something special about spiral horns. Witness the photographs posted by fairgame above, and no further exsplanation is needed.

Peter Flack has founded a club dedicated to these majestic and beautiful animals, should any of you be interested.

Spiral Horn Antelope Club | About SHAC

SHAC is a great idea; I especially like the idea of no awards. I still have a lifetime goal of taking all 9. 5 more to go and figuring another 25 to 30 good hunting years left in me if the economy gets better I can do it.

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
Allright, i gotta jump in, below are mine;
My Limpopo (the first animal I ever shot in Africa

My Chobe from Moz

And my Harnessed from CAR

One of Us
Picture of Torbjørn
posted Hide Post
Some fantastic bushbuck`s here.

I was lucky on my first safari and took a nice bushbuck close to the Limpopo river. We stalked real slowly in dense bush along the river looking for bushbuck. Really exciting.

Posts: 315 | Location: Norway | Registered: 17 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agreed.. BB are always on the menu. They're great.
I've taken Limpopo and EC. Had Chobe on the menu last trip, but no big rams seen.

Great pics.

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Limpopo BB that goes just short of 18 I shot with Rodie Tourle at Bishopstone in Zim. On another hunt in Cherowe, I missed one that was even larger. Just plain missed him!!!!

114-R10David

Posts: 1753 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

My best bushbuck at 17"+ in Mozambique.

14.5" Limpopo from the Save

Nice East African from Mount Galai. It actually made the prettiest mount.

A harnessed from Cameroon. I chose him on purpose because of the broken horn. Lots of character.

Cape variety from RSA and the most difficult shot I ever took.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fairgame,

"What is it about Spiral Horns?"

They affect me the exact same way my wife did the first day I ever saw her. Hits you between the eyes, your knees get weak, and your pulse races. Your mind gives way to your emotions.
The difference, one good wife is enough. The Spiral Horns...

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Let us not forget the Kudu, which is still one of Africa's most sought after antelope species.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm getting the shakes looking at these pics. I have a hunt booked in the SAVE next year and a big bushbuck and big kudu is on my very, very important list in high priority. Got my fingers crossed. I got this small kudu in the mountains near Bloemfontaine in SA on my last trip. He looks nice but only went 48" on the horn. I would like to find a mid 50" to put on the wall on my next trip.

Here is an Eland I assisted on with my dad as well on the trip. Got to love them Eland as well.

Posts: 894 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Nube,

That is a classic Kudu mate and nothing wrong with that. It is how you hunt them.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal