THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Croc Photos (Warning: Disturbing images)

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Croc Photos (Warning: Disturbing images)
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted
A buddy sent me these. Don't recall seeing them here. Kinda turned me off any left over turkey stuffing...

Anyone know who the hunter is and what is the story?

--------

www.zonedar.com

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning
DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If that ain't a nasty looking mess, I'll apologize! Eeker

Bull1

Posts: 405 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
That gator looks pretty cool skinned!

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3326 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Guillermo Amestoy
posted Hide Post
shocker shocker shocker shocker

"Every ignored reallity prepares its revenge!"

Posts: 883 | Location: Provincia de Cordoba - Republica Argentina -Southamerica | Registered: 09 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just when you thought it was safe to back into the water....

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
From the other thread
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1411043/m/460106567
quote:
...Buzz Charlton is currently working on his 2nd DVD which will talk about this. He has the croc and human remains on film, but said will be discreet. The story is that the trackers son went missing and 4 days later the croc was shot and in the stomach were the remains, which was identified by the tracker to be his son.

Speaking of the new DVD, the theme is "The Zambezi River" and will follow the Zambezi as it winds down river, stopping at various hunting areas on the way, and ending in Cabora Bassa Reservoir where the croc hunts will be featured. Buzz will detail a croc hunt w/placement etc like with the ele on the first DVD. There is a segment on PAC/meat elephant hunts, shots up-close and personal, and discussion about how if done in a responsible manner, they are beneficial to all (meat, money etc.). There will also be a section on "extreme hunting" - ele's, buff and leopards taken with bow, handguns and black powder including brain shots. Also 3 good ele charges, all dropped within 6 yards. I am sure many of the AR gang will be included.

Buzz will have done for the Dallas/SCI shows, and have available for sale there. Should be good!

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gayne C. Young
posted Hide Post
Huh, those are disturbing.

Visit my homepage
www.gaynecyoung.com

Posts: 710 | Location: Fredericksburg, Texas | Registered: 10 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wooly ESS
posted Hide Post
There's never a retch emoticon when you need one.

(I'm not going to toggle THIS one for instant email notification)

The truth will set you free,
but first it's gonna piss you off!
www.ceandersonart.com

Posts: 574 | Location: The great plains of southern Alberta | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Well fed.... Roll Eyes

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jesus.....mother nature is cruel.. shocker

Posts: 3974 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly ESS:
There's never a retch emoticon when you need one.

(I'm not going to toggle THIS one for instant email notification)

Here you go..

--------

www.zonedar.com

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning
DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I dont eat alligator or croc meat any more!!! Roll Eyes

Posts: 883 | Location: Provincia de Cordoba - Republica Argentina -Southamerica | Registered: 09 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Steve:

Here you go..

animal

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
It is called the FOOD CHAIN IN ACTION.

Is it gross, Yes.

Is it nature at work, yes.

I have never been to Africa, but I would be willing to bet that either someone on this site, or one of the PH's they have hunted with, has seen similar results obtained by a close run in with a Cape Buffalo or Elephant. JMO.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
R.I.P. whomever unfortunate caucasian???
Any idea of whether the victim was identified, or any details of how he became crocodile food? Surely this would be instructional in avoidance behaviors to be adopted by tourists.
Amazing that the entire femur was swallowed intact ... and an entire upper extremity, and a leg, and a ... Eeker

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill C's comments fill in most of the blanks on the story details.

Nasty business and all that. The skinned and headless croc is fairly unappealing on its own merits and an unusual photo that we don't see much of.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Maybe noncaucasian skin pigment digests/fades a bit in the croc stomach. Black or white man, hard to say with all the muck and decomposition. That is why I questioned it even after reading Bill C's comments. So the young man was identified and got a funeral. Not a nice way to go, but there are worse. Bloody Africa.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The smiles are all pre-discovery I guess as there is no one posing afterwords. I don't know how long since the croc had killed but that is a rapid state of decomp. Eeker

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
A large croc took a plastic bucket out of one of our camp staff! He crushed it, and his teeth made holes in it.

The bucket ended on a sand bar about 150 yards away.

A few days later, the camp staff took pots and pans, made such a racket, crossed the river, and retrieved the bucket!

I have photos of the bucket, I will dig them out and post them on my hunt report.

At our camp this year, we had "camp cr ocs" come to feed every day right below where the camp was. There was a small area of the river which is semi-protected - no more than about 150 square feet. We tied meet down there and the crocs came to feed, together with some turtles.

We shot a 14.5 foot croc on what we called "paradise island". We had lunch there one day, and never saw a single croc. We put some bait, and the next day clobbered that one.

In Africa, one should NEVER forget that any minute can turn the tables, and one can end up as a tasty meal for something.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
man, that's not just an upper torso, there's teeth, hair and an ear in there... if i were to ever go to africa, i'd be damned sure i was careful around ANY body of water!

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
As some of you know and as referenced in Bill C's post above, Buzz Charlton is in the States finishing the editing of his new video. They are still expecting to have the video out by the time of the shows in January. I was talking to Buzz yesterday about another subject and we got into a discussion of this thread (as well as the Dangerous Game episode involving the fellow that was gored by a buffalo and was damning in his silence about the PH). Anyway one part of the video is about croc hunting, shot placement on crocs, etc.

As you can imagine being right in the middle of a making a DVD on crocs and croc hunting, Buzz had plenty of information that I found interesting and thought I would share here. Here is what I understand:

1. It was the trackers son (identified by the tracker) found in the croc.
2. Croc was shot 4 days after the attack and is the acid in the croc’s stomach that made the body parts look white -- the pigmentation has been eaten away.
3. In the one photo that shows a bloody mass on the croc teeth, the PH’s second tracker said it was a human liver. They sort of thought nothing of it since they had not skinned the croc yet to discover what was inside.
4. Apparently, 2 years prior to this incident, in the same area, Buzz was guiding a hunt and in the first 6 days of the hunt 6 people were killed by crocs. In a 15 foot croc that Buzz shot they also found body parts but they were much more digested then the above.
5. The Chawalo area probably had the highest rate of man eating crocs in history, something like 30 confirmed in one season alone and it only has about 30 kilometers of Lake Caborabassa frontage.
6. The government wanted to declare the crocs vermin and have them killed on sight. The PH in the photos above, with the aid of certain SCI chapters and
money generated by hunters, refurbished the ancient water systems that the Portuguese had in the area and there is now running water right through the town of
Zumbo (the small village in this area). As a result, incidents of man eating crocs in this area are way down as people now are able to get water from taps.
7. Zumbo has an important place in history too. A lot of ivory shot in now Zambia and Centeral Africa was bought down the Luangwa River to Zumbo. It is, however, more infamous as a slave trading post. The old fig tree that the slaves were chained to during the slave auctions still stands in the middle of the
town and the old remains of slave pits can be seen.
8. Also, while hunting there several years ago Buzz discovered an old convent that was still in relatively good condition despite the roof having been plundered by local villages.

DVD should be pretty damn interesting IMHO.

Mike

Posts: 21684 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ull story and Photo's were published in the African Hunter Magazine over a year ago. - this year it seems to be lions eating folk Eeker

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hunted Caborra Basa with Buzz during high water, always a thrill to be sitting in the water or near water in the blind. We got a nice croc and saw numerous large crocs there. It was also cut open to check for remnants by the skinner. It was not his favorite job to do this, but other folks were missing during this period. Goes with the territory, I guess.

Dak

Posts: 495 | Location: USA | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
My brother Jonathan's client, Dennis Frings, shot a man-eating crocodile in the Nyaodza River quite a few years back. It was calculated that that croc had accounted for up to five fisherman. When the hunters chanced upon the croc sunning itself on the river bank, it had a human leg in its jaws. All sorts of body parts at various stages of decomposition came out of that crocodile, and it measured over fifteen feet. I included the story in my book 'The Shangaan Song' and posted it on AR some time ago. I don't know how many of you got to read it. I have some poor photos somewhere, shall try and dig them out.

Dave

Posts: 2270 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
Very poor photos I'm afraid, and no grisly body parts either. I had to pull the photos from some weird program that I have the book in, and have no idea where the originals are.

Dave

Posts: 2270 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was up near Kruger a number of years ago and we formed a search party for a missing 9 year old boy..We found his lungs, heart and some other entrails on the bank..I was told the croc caught the boy and started spinning and this stuff came out his mounth and landed on the bank????? If that is a fact then that is a lot of centrifical force! It was a gory sight and the stuff was in trees, bushes and on the ground. They shot the croc and got some more parts later on...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42156 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Reading these stories about crocs reminded me of something my outfitter (himself a licensed PH) in Zimbabwe told me years ago. He said that if anybody let him he would sit on a river bank and shoot crocs until the barrel melted. On my one and only trip to Africa, I too developed the same feeling about crocs and never forgot his remark. (Alligators in Florida never gave me the same feeling of dread and revulsion as I felt about crocs)

Posts: 619 | Location: The Empire State | Registered: 14 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As I've heard more than one PH say, "Life ain't easy on the Zambezi."

114-R10David

Posts: 1753 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess crocs make people feel the revulsion that a hyena generates in some. To me they are all a part of what makes Africa what it is. You are part of the food chain there and not just as a hunter. Crocs are opportunistic feeders and they don't really care if dinner is an impala or you. He just sees a meal.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TWL:
"Life ain't easy on the Zambezi."

I like that, thanks for sharing it.

Mike

Posts: 21684 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
3. In the one photo that shows a bloody mass on the croc teeth, the PH’s second tracker said it was a human liver.

There has to be a bit of a story about how the tracker knew that.

Dean

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, Duke of York

Posts: 876 | Location: Halkirk Ab | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm making an educated guess here but I think it is just coagulated blood from the croc.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Copidosoma
posted Hide Post
quote:
3. In the one photo that shows a bloody mass on the croc teeth, the PH’s second tracker said it was a human liver.

I'd be pretty surprised is the liver looked that "good" after 4 days in a croc's stomach. Given the condition of the rest of the body parts Eeker I'm thinking that the coagulated blood theory would be better.

I wonder if the tracker made the diagnosis before or after cutting the thing open?

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:
R.I.P. whomever unfortunate caucasian???

Definitely a black man.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote