17603 Indian Head Hwy., Suite 200
Accokeek, MD 20607
301-283-6300
1-877-GUN-BOOK (for ordering)
http://www.stoegerpublishing.com/

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks so much Nick, good to see the article again... Classic stuff!

Posts: 863 | Location: Mtns of the Desert Southwest, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WyoJoe
posted Hide Post
Thank you Nickudu for reposting those links.

There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Posts: 1172 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A very interesting read.

Thank you

Rustam

Posts: 173 | Location: Bangalore, India. | Registered: 18 August 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks to the gracious O'Connor family, we are able to view some of Jack's articles here at "AR". Please look for additions, over the coming months.

one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Thank you Nick. Smiler

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
Very good indeed! Now this get`s me started. I need to pick "The Big game rifle" down from the bookshelf this evening, and have a re-read!

Anders

Hunting and fishing DVDs from Mossing & Stubberud Media: www.jaktogfiskedvd.no

..and my blog at: http://andersmossing.blogspot.com

Posts: 1959 | Location: Norway | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good job Nick.

Although cartridge selection is important there is nothing that will substitute for proper first shot placement. Good hunting, "D"

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just clicked on the article about killing power and read the opening line: "Heated arguments about the killing power of various cartridges are endless and the admission is free."

The more things change the more they stay the same.

Thanks, Nick.

Okie John

"The 30-06 works. Period." --Finn Aagaard

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any rifle/caliber works as long as the hunter shoot straight and know his own and the rifles capibelities.

Posts: 166 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 14 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Of O'Connor's article on killing power, it seems he has been reading posts on AR. Smiler

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19338 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
After reading his thoughts on general killing power in this chapter, it's all too easy to
forget his insights as to the benefits of increased caliber and bullet weight in the .375 chapter.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Smiler Jack hunted African Sheep. See "The Question of Killing Power."

Will,
Or was that us who have read/drunk too much Jack? I know 500groans drinks his Jack, and accuses others of it. I prefer to read Jack rather than drink Jack. beer

Thanks again, Nick. thumb

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nick

As usual, it is very enjoyable reading whenever you post this stuff. Too bad the old Nickudu's Files can't be resurrected. I really enjoyed those articles of the past. Thanks.

Cool Cool Smiler thumb

Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place
among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

one of us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by okie john:
I just clicked on the article about killing power and read the opening line: "Heated arguments about the killing power of various cartridges are endless and the admission is free."

O"Connor, unlike many who churn out story after story, crafted every word. The guy was a genius.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7576 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The word that came to my mind after reading that article was "restrained". Haven't seen much of that in the hook and bullet magazines in the last thirty years.

Thanks Nick

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
There really is no substitute for experience and common sense. Jack had the former and dispensed the latter. Unfortunately, both seem in short supply among gun writers these days.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13503 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrlexma:
There really is no substitute for experience and common sense. Jack had the former and dispensed the latter. Unfortunately, both seem in short supply among gun writers these days.

Indeed. Such was the respect enjoyed, he may have been the sole recipient of the Weatherby Award who didn't care for them. I don't know that to be true but it shouldn't surprise me. I also found his humor to be every bit as subtle as his way of teaching. It mattered little that his African / Indian experience was comparatively modest, coming rather late in life. The truths he gave us were universal, timeless. I feel not the slightest embarassment in stating that I wept at his passing.

one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
I have been reading some of the old O'Connor books and articles lately. The thing that impresses me is that he loved the outdoors and hunting, but what I have picked up was that he was extremely honest. He often admits to missing a shot. He admits to not always taking the biggest trophy out there. He admits to hitting an animal and then not being able to find it (which he regrets). He did not always need the newest caliber or gun out there.

Dont see that in many writers today. Honesty.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2592 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
btt

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10099 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
I must be the only one who can't get these to open. The page with all the small size pages appears, but none of them will expand when I click on them. I've tried twice from two different computers. Can anyone help?

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Scott, Usually it comes down to one's firewall or security settings. Email VillagePhotos, if the problem persists. Or, I can send the pages email. - Nick

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
I've got it now, thanks.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Excellent reading! Again, good job. Mike

FourTails

Posts: 916 | Location: USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nick

As usual, the material you provide for us is great stuff. I had no idea O'Connor had shot so much game. I guess an old dog can learn something new every now and then.

Cool Cool Big Grin Big Grin wave

Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place
among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

posted Hide Post
Nickudu- what book did this come out of? Thanks Doug

posted Hide Post
"The Hunting Rifle"