New
Find
Notify
Tools

How is the beer in Namibia
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is it good or is it like the shit water they sell in Amerika. Can I take my beer with me.

Posts: 42 | Location: Munich, Germany | Registered: 03 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take your amerika hating to the political forum

Posts: 376 | Location: Phoenix AZ | Registered: 21 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I too prefer German beer, but I don't think you can take any reaonable quantities with you. Windhoek or Castle is better than any American beer anyway, assuming Namibia. East Africa -- their beers are better than American as well.

Posts: 10034 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do not hate Amerika just the shit water they sell and call beer. We make better guns and beer in Germany.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually, I believe the Belgians make the best beer and they're neck-and-neck with you when it comes to guns. Big Grin

Posts: 354 | Location: CO | Registered: 19 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Belgians have only Fabrique Nationale. We have have Mauser, Blaser, Walther, Heym, Anschutz, etc as well as finest optics in the world such as Carl Zeiss and Schmidt und Bender, Oestereich has Steyr and Swarovski and Kahles and they are German as well.

The Belgians are like French but only they smell better.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The beer in Namib is just fine..just like a good ol Miller Lite. dancing

And BTW, the Brits make the finest arms..

The Germans and Austrians do have the optics market though!!

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the long run, I agree with you Alpine Dude.

Germany has developed and continues to make some of the world's best firearms, German beer is, in my opinion, the best, and yes, most American beer is pretty bad.

You will find very good beer in Namibia, mostly descended from the old German recipies. But the average stuff sold in the local markets is not very good. Stay away from Windhoek beer in the green bottle, it's the Namibian equivalent of America's Budweiser. It's okay, but if you have a choice, go to something else.

In most of the Windhoek restaurants and stores you can find a variety of German and other EU beer in bottles and on draft.

Not to worry.

114-R10David

Posts: 1749 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Belgian beer is for fashion models and wine drinkers. Real beer is made in Germany and former German territory. Germany like US has very baaaaad beer for the masses "volksbier" ja? Big Grin

USA has very good craft bier too.

Posts: 298 | Location: Antioch | Registered: 09 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep. Belgian beer would be my last choice, just before dying of thirst. The last guy I saw drinking "Stella" looked like he could have been a judge for the Miss America pageant about to ask Miss California a question about gay marriage.

114-R10David

Posts: 1749 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We had a German business partner over here and when we took him to lunch I was saying how I like my beer so cold that ice crystals are starting to form and he has to go and say "with American beer I can understand that". So I ordered him Coke and asked if he wanted it warm.

I can get my American beer on draft here and my Becks, St. Pauli and Lowenbrau (if you can find it period) only out of a bottle. So guess which I usually wind up with...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Was having lunch at an upscale restaurant a while back and some Latin types were adding ice cubes to their lite beer at the table. clap

Posts: 298 | Location: Antioch | Registered: 09 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alpinejaeger:
Is it good or is it like the shit water they sell in Amerika. Can I take my beer with me.

Taffel is a Namibian brand. It is the best beer I have ever had. And I have had a few. I also hate most of the crap(beer) we make here in America.

All of the top Namibian beers are made to the German purity specs.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
I quite enjoy Windhoek Larger. beer

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chipolopolo:
Take your amerika hating to the political forum

Confused homer

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Oestereich has Steyr and Swarovski and Kahles and they are German as well.

bewildered bewildered bewildered

Seloushunter

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Thank God, we have "Lone Star Beer" in Texas!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Alpinejaeger, please make sure that you bring your own beer. I would suggest that you take a whole 50 L barrel and make sure that you take along your own keg-fitting as the ones in Namibia have different dimension.
On a more serious note, the beers in Namibia are brewed according to the "Reinheitsgebot". They have been awarded various gold-medals by the DLG (Deutsche Landwirtschafts Gesellschaft) during the last couple of years. All beers in Namibia are Pils-beers whereas a new small brewery will soon go into production offering Hefe-Weizen. Erdinger etc. are available but f&%$(ng expensive.
Forget about the South African beers as they are all crap. (Not brewed according to the Reinheitsgebot so you can't call them "beer" in any case)

Namibian Breweries Limited ( http://www.nambrew.com/ ) is part of the

Ohlthaver & List Group

http://www.ohlthaverlist.com/Default.asp?pageid=845

Posts: 193 | Location: Namibia | Registered: 04 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The beer in Namibia is all german lager style but only 4% alcohol.Ok for lunch but for dinner I prefered Castle at 5% alc.

Australia
I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of drought and flooding rains.
I love her far horizons,
I love her jewel-sea,
Her beauty and her terror
The wide brown land for me!

Posts: 302 | Location: Australia | Registered: 09 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tafel Lager is excellent there and Windhoek Lager very good. In good pubs the Windhoek Draft is excellent also. As per the last post the standards for brewing are very high and the beer very pure. It is almost impossible to give yourself a hangover drinking these beers.

I have to concur re. American beer,the big names are really bad beer although the micro-brews are getting easier to find. When in Texas I recommend Shiner Bock!!!

Posts: 280 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just drink a good single malt. Big Grin

Rusty isn't Lone Star now just Bud with a different label? Wink

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chris Lozano
posted Hide Post
I found the Tafel to be very good beer, on the other hand my wife thought the Windhoek was better. When in So Africa we enjoyed Castle.

Posts: 753 | Location: Michigan USA | Registered: 27 September 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Belgians have only Fabrique Nationale. We have have Mauser, Blaser, Walther, Heym, Anschutz, etc as well as finest optics in the world such as Carl Zeiss and Schmidt und Bender, Oestereich has Steyr and Swarovski and Kahles and they are German as well.

The Belgians are like French but only they smell better.

LOL! Can't argue with that! dancing Particularly the last line!

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
if beer is the only thing that worries you, and you have to room and weight limits in your luggage, bring your own. if it gets to heavy you can always leave your rifle and ammo at home

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nam breweries makes good stuff.

In fact there is some very good US made beers from smaller breweries/micro brew stuff. Even bigger brewers like Sam Adams makes good stuff.

The truth is that lots of European beers are also shit. Ever had a German beer called 'DAB' -crap. Every country makes good and shit beer, is not absolute.

Posts: 1274 | Location: Alberta (and RSA) | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Windhoek is very good beer, but beer is a personal taste matter and what some like others will not. beer

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I don't drink alcohol, but I am american and have always noticed that if you want the best--- buy german!

Posts: 5700 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Actually "Lone Star" was founded in 1884 by Adolphus Bush. It is currently owned by Pabst Brewing. Pabst bought the company in 1999 and they have kept the company and brewing in Texas.

At the Great American Beer Festival in 2007-2008 two years in a row, "Lone Star" won Gold Medals for best "American Style Cream Ale or Lager."

So next time you want to drink the Best Larger in Texas, order a genuine, Lone Star Beer. The National Beer of Texas!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like Shinner Bock, that is why I got it for the AR party last year. If you are the organizer you should have what you like, eh. Big Grin dancing

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, the two dominant Namibian beers, Windhoek Draft and Taffel Lager, are both very palatable, high quality brew that are clearly connected to their German origins.

Namibian beer has such a good reputation in southern Africa that there is huge demand for it near Christmas. Our host told us that he has to order his beer for the Christmas season at least six weeks ahead of time to assure an adequate supply. Many sources simply run out in December.

And yes, the mass-distributed brands of American beers are not worth wasting your gastronomical space on. And I haven't seen anyone in Texas actually buy or drink a Lone Star (bleah!) other than a tourist. However, in fairness we must remember that the people who brought us wishy-washy American-style beer had names like Busch and Pabst.

The Finns make the best rifles. German/Austrian optics are of high quality, but poorly adapted to use as optical gun sights. Americans know best how to put guns and optics together and make them shoot.

Posts: 13236 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had the opportunity to drink beer in nearly 60 countries and I'd have to say that Namibian beer is very good, top tier. Not all American beer is garbage, just most of it. There does seem to be more availability of better stuff the last few years.

Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do.

Posts: 301 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wanderer:
I've had the opportunity to drink beer in nearly 60 countries and I'd have to say that Namibian beer is very good, top tier. Not all American beer is garbage, just most of it. There does seem to be more availability of better stuff the last few years.

As John Cleese once said, "American beer is like making love in a canoe.....f&%king close to water".

I prefer Ales of which many fine micros are available even here in Alaska.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7594 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
I loved Tafel lager when I was in Namibia.

As a displaced Texan, I'll drink Shiner (I refuse to call it Blonde, I still think of it as just plain SHINER) whenever I get a chance. It was a micro-brew before that term was invented.

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post

thumb

Posts: 2027 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mouse93!!!!

Now theres a man who knows a good beer!!!!!

I have enjoyed many a Hansa quart (750ml bottle) next to a warm SA river and around an SA bush camp - fine taste sir!!!!

Posts: 1274 | Location: Alberta (and RSA) | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 404WJJeffery
posted Hide Post
quote:
Oestereich has Steyr and Swarovski and Kahles and they are German as well.

Do you mean that Austrians are Germans???

NOT according to my Austrian relatives! Zero love for their German cousins.....

"Are you gonna pull them pistols,...or whistle Dixie??"

Josie Wales 1866

Posts: 1489 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Castle is ok. Windhoek better. Tafel better yet. Maybe you can get the trackers to take you to one of the "local" beer gardens. You might aquire a taste for it. You are correct that most of the beer sold by the major players in America is poor. There are however hundreds of micro breweries that produce great product. Costs more but worth every cent. It is also higher in alcohol for those inclined in that direction. There is one 10 minutes from my house that brews about 15 different varieties. Many of them besides being excellent in taste run about 10% alcohol.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote