Re: Best airline approved gun case
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500grains:
Harry,

Your so-called "offer" is full of "Gotcha!". Do you really think I have the box? And if a T.P. is so tough, why does it need to be shipped in a box anyway? Of course I could sell it on ebay to someone who does not know about one of my guns getting damaged in a T.P. for 50 bucks less than I paid, so your half price deal is another Gotcha. But you were intending all of that.

My advice in the future will be to avoid T.P. because of:

1. lack of packlock fixture

2. poor attitude displayed by its sales rep. (that would be you)

3. inadequate protection for rifles.

What happened to one of your guns?

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
500 Grains
I guess the factory ships TP in a box for the same reason Starlight, Pelican, and any other case manuf. does. I can not think of many items that do not come in a box / wrapper of some sort. To protect it until the end user gets it. Surely you are not trying to imply that other cases do not come in a box from the factory.
I did not ask for the original box in my offer. Just a box...let me modifiy that now...in your case (no pun intended) just ship it back (no box) and mail me the keys.
I have forwarded all concerns posted to the owners of Tuffpak. They may well be working on a change. I can only sell what is offered.
I fail to see how me offering you a way out of something you say you will not use as poor attitude. You just do not like me personally (and that is probably true) saying I do not see a problem with how things are now. If that is poor attitude then so be it. It is just how I see things. I am not speaking for the factory. Not eveyone thinks you still need a clutch pedal on the floorboard of the car with an automatic transmission!
As to inadequate protection for rifles...that one statement just will not hold up. Too many people traveling with their gear and guns in this case. As you like to write...BS!
A suggestion to anyone reading.
Here is what I do with hunting items I am not using anymore for whatever reason. I donate them to one of the conservation banquet / auctions and help raise money for some cause I like. I get some of my money back in the form of a contribution write off when it comes tax time. What might be 'trash' to you is often 'treasure' to the next person. Everyone wins.

You can borrow money but you can not borrow time. Go hunting with your family.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Back to the original question - what is the best gun suitcase per the new TSA handling guidelines?

I do not think anyone can say for sure what the best is except for what they have learned by experience. I have seen the TuffPak and it looks tough, is tough and gets guns there in one piece. The issue is the lock, but a little pre-planning with the TSA and airport people should handle that.

I have used the $15 plastic case with cheap locks and my guns went to Zim and back ok. I had to buy one in Atlanta when TSA would not allow me to pack 3 guns in one Cabela's, alumimun, bar and padlock, piano hinge type case. The heavy duty aluminum case was dented and one gun moved enough to dent the adjustment cap on a scope on the second gun.

I have seen the roller type that carries 3 guns work ok as well.

I used to travel a great deal internationally (20 trips a year) and found that the hard plastic cases get damaged more "catastrophically" than the aluminum cases. I have had the plastic cases cracked on a could of occasions. I have had the aluminum ones bent so badly they would not close on one occasion as well.

In summary, my method is to buy the case that 1) protects the gun, 2) is easy to carry and load for the airport folks, 3) use medium quality locks that can be cut off but not jerked open, 4) carry 3 or 4 spare locks, and 5) use combination locks so you do not need keys.

Probably the best solution is to use the guns that in the country you are headed to. I do not like that, but it solves the problem of transporting guns.

PS - My opinion is that Mims/Harry is a straight up guy selling a good product. I may buy one someday but am sticking with my Cabelas case for now. One way to get rid of one you don't need is to sell it on the "Classifieds" section of AR. No cost to post it there.

Posts: 10364 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Doyle Hufstedler
posted Hide Post
quote:
500 Grains,
I want to take away all your concerns. I would hate for you to have such a worthless item like a Tuffpak sitting around that you can not use.
Send it back to me in proper condition (I mean both keys and in a good box) and I will refund half the money you paid for it. You will need to show me what you paid for it of course.
I don't want you stuck with goods you can't use for fear it won't work.
You reckon Starlight or any of the rest would make you that offer?

Harry
If you get a used Tuffpak from 500 or anywhere else call. I will come and get it. We have two but need another one to replace a pelican, after a trip to customs with two tuff packs and one pelican my brother said the tuff pack was clearly better hander and wanted one. Auxiliary locking is not a problem if one wants to.
Doyle

"He must go -- go -- go away from here!
On the other side the world he's overdue.
'Send your road is clear before you when the old Spring-fret comes o'er you,
And the Red Gods call for you!"
Rudyard Kipling - 1887 - The Feet Of The Young Men

one of us
Picture of Andy
posted Hide Post
Some care must be made in selecting a soft case for the TP. It should be well padded because thats all the padding your rifle will get if you slip the case on the bottom or top of the TP (easiest load out).

PS Yo will be glad you broght a soft case along when your rifle is bouncing along in the safari car rear rifle rack!

I wedged my soft rifle case between clothes top and bottom for extra padding, and I would recommend this to anyone even though it makes taking the rifle out for inspection a pain in the ass.

The TP does not protect a rifle and scope as well as a conventional case unless you pack it properly, as Dan can attest.

I too was worried about the one locking lug lock, as I had the TP smashed full of gear and had ALOT of pressure on the lock assembly.

I would buy a new one if they had a redundant lock. But I am not unhappy I bought the current version, just am wiser now that I have used it some.

Andy

Posts: 1278 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote