Find
Notify
Tools

KNIVES FOR AFRICA
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted
Having just taken delivery of my Scott Cook Ohwyee (SP?) Hunter, I was wondering as to what you guys take afield. I took a Randall #25 to Africa last time and I even took a hand at field dressing an eland. No small task! Anyhow, I really like the knife. It has an incredible edge, but I must admit it is a bit small for my taste. I used it this past week in South Carolina on two large hogs and it performed marvelously, so maybe there is something to smaller knives for dressing and skinning animals. Thoughts? jorge

Posts: 7143 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post

Jorge,

These are the knives the real pros use.

I make it a point every year to take knives and small flashlights for the trackers, skinners etc.

They apparently wear them when they go to town! And they use thoe ones you see above for skinning and butchering everything.

I took the photo of these knives just as they were preparing to cut up an elephant.

Posts: 66946 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those are not new knives they have been well used. Very professional looking.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
Jorge, I dislike large knives, and I don't think they're necessary for field-dressing even an elk, moose, or eland. For a safari client, big knives can become a real burden in a big hurry. For the client, I see a hunting-type knife as a "just-in-case" accessory--nothing more. The knife I really use day-in and day-out, even in Africa, is a Victorinox Cadet pocket knife. I've carried one of these nearly ever day for seventeen years.

My favorite hunting knives feature 3 1/2 or 4" blades.
I've taken a Randall 23 to Africa before, but it's just too damned big, and a nuisance to carry around. My favorite African knife so far has been the Chris Reeve Sebenza. The one I have features burl maple inlays, so it's real purdy, but it's the function of the knife that makes me love it. It's incredibly strong and tough, the blade is super-sharp and perfectly sized and shaped, and the quality and workmanship is absolutely first-rate. You can even take it apart for cleaning very easily. One of the biggest things it has going for it is just the fact that it's a folder, and doesn't get in the way in the least bit. It's also safer to carry because it's a folder, and Reeve can supply the finest-quality leather belt case you'll ever find. This case is made by the same oufit that makes sheaths for Scott Cook.......

This season, though, I'm taking a Randall Trout & Bird that my wife miraculously found for me someplace. It has, of all things, an ivory Micarta handle, and I've honed it razor-sharp. Really a cool little knife......

I consider Scott Cook's Large Owyhee Hunter to be an absolutely ideal hunting knife for Africa or anywhere else.

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
I also like small knives, even smaller than what Allen prefers. I have a Scott Cook small Owyhee that is wonderful to carry and I see no reason why it won't tackle any job I ask of it (it is new, and I haven't found a bear willing to let me try it out yet).

I have a swiss army knife that has taken care of more than it's share of game, and it makes Scott's small Owyhee look like a machete.

Chuck

Posts: 2652 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I take a Swiss Army folding Hunter for the big work. It has a blunt nose gutter on there that will work wonders as well as the super sharp saw blade and the lock back single blade.
A Swiss Army Waiter for in my pocket everyday (blade, corkscrew, bottle opener, toothpick and tweezers) and the old blade on the Leatherman Tool. Gets all the work done on critters I am going to do.
I must own 20 to 30 custom knives but never take them anymore.
Works is west Texas and Africa too.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redlander
posted Hide Post
At least these are a step up from chips of flint, and they probably wouldn't know a diamond hone if it fell out of the sky. Knives are much like guns, the results are often more a result of the skills of the user than the "quality" of what they are using.

The next knives on my to-get list are Fallkniven FN-17 Hunting Knife , although their scabard could use a little work, and a A. G. Russell� Folding Gents Hunter . My daily carry is a Boker 4" Stockman, IMHO the best pocket knife in the world, and a Gerber Multiplier. I'll post photos of my working knives as soon as I can get them together with a camera.

Posts: 842 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 23 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been around the world a few times,seen a couple rodeos and a goat ropin'.Not as well travelled as some here but I have been around.It seems like everytime I get ready to leave ,the knife that ends up in my possibles bag is a folding Buck-lite.It is inexpensive ,easy to sharpen,and I don't seem to be able to lose it or tear it up.All those collecters knives I have accumulated stay at home.
That said,I don't think I can recall a time in Africa when my knife got any real work.I used it to cut some hair from a giraffe tail and slice a sandwich,but when there was real work to be done the professionals were always there to do it.I think that is one of the things I like about Africa. ...eyedoc

Posts: 1370 | Location: Shreveport,La.USA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
First, STEVE is correct as to the way Owyhee County, Idaho, and the Owyhee River were named. Three Hawaiian Natives were on a fur trapping expedition in 1819 in the area, and were lost in the wild area. The leader named the area after them, but kinda misspelled the name.

As ALLEN DAY stated how he goes into the Owyhees, prepared, I second the motion!! Anyone who ventures into that 5,000,000 acre area had better be prepared for adverse conditions. It's as rugged and rough an area as anywhere. Remote, vast, unpopulated and beautiful, it's said that "the Owyhees have more raptors than people."

As for knives, although I've not been to Africa, I prefer fixed blade drop point 3 1/2" to 4" blades. My favorite two are made by Bill Buchman, Bladesmith of Bend, Oregon, (a four inch blade), and Dick Patton, Bladesmith, (a three & one half inch blade), formerly of Boise, Idaho, now living in Texas.

My many years "oldie but goldie," all time greatest everyday carry knife is a John C. Primble (Camillus) Stockman my father gave me on my 13th birthday in 1950. It's still in my pocket as I type this and is razor sharp, tight as new, and can take apart most anything on this Continent, plus do a hundred other chores that large knives can't do easily.

FWIW. L.W.

Posts: 253 | Location: S.W. Idaho | Registered: 30 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Eye Doc: You are right as to the usage. I jsut got into the eland action for the hell of it but for the most part, I used it to cut my sandwiches in two! jorge

Posts: 7143 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As to knives (always carry 3-4, except on plane anymore)--anyway, I am planning on taking 3-4 with me this time to give to skinner, tracker, etc. Not expensive ones, folders mostly that I have won or picked up here & there. Nothing special, but not real junk either--good plan or no?

Posts: 747 | Location: Nevada, USA | Registered: 22 May 2003Reply With Quote