Find
Notify
Tools

Uncharted
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted
Anybody notice the warning at the start of the episodes this season that it "may contain images that disturb some viewers"?

It's on the outdoor channel with many other shows depicting hunting and the killing of game as well as the butchering of game on shows like "Meateater".

Made me wonder if Jim and the producers are trying to break the message of the benefits of hunting to an audience outside the standard hunter demographic.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thunder Head
posted Hide Post
I did notice,

I think they are defiantly trying to reach new audiences.

I have walked in the foot prints of the elephant, listened to lion roar and met the buffalo on his turf. I shall never be the same.

Posts: 813 | Location: In the shadow of Currahee | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
Jim truly works to relay the message of wildlife conservation and the critical role we has hunters play in those efforts.

He also always brings to light the local culture, geography and conservation challenges / efforts of the local peoples and areas he is visiting..

Definitely one of the best shows out there...

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

Posts: 894 | Location: Akron, OH | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like all of Jims shows. They are some of the very few I even bother to record and watch. He goes to such a variety of places that the show never gets old. Imo

I noticed he's using Nosler rifles lately. Is he done with TC?

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
I noticed the Noslers as well.. Last night I watched his show in Paraguay - he hunted a problem water buffalo that had hurt several of the gouchos.

The show was intense - and I'm not referring to the hunt itself but to the respect Jim showed to the old bull and the interest he had in the local people and their village..

Pure class act...

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with the above posts and posters. This is without a doubt the "BEST" Outdoor/Adventure/Hunting show now on TV. The video camera work by Jim's son Branlon is some of the best I have ever seen. These folks are the "real deal" as opposed to most all of the other pretenders out there. I am sure there will be some African Adventures in the works for upcoming episodes. Next one is still in SA I believe and will feature some Jaguar hunting (darting I presume)? This show sure beats the typical fly in, unload, greeting by natives dancing around etc.

Jim has used and been sponsored by Nosler for a long time now, so using their rifles is a foregone conclusion. The budget for Uncharted is most likely way above the average Show, but something others could/should take notice of if they want to rise above the herd.

Larry Sellers
SCI(International)Life Member
R8 Blaser
Sabatti "trash" Double Shooter

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe the show is titled "Uncharted" not "Unchartered"? Not a big deal, just saying.

Larry Sellers
R8 Blaser

quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
Anybody notice the warning at the start of the episodes this season that it "may contain images that disturb some viewers"?

It's on the outdoor channel with many other shows depicting hunting and the killing of game as well as the butchering of game on shows like "Meateater".

Made me wonder if Jim and the producers are trying to break the message of the benefits of hunting to an audience outside the standard hunter demographic.

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good show but unwatchable in my opinion because of the exessive comercials. I understand they need to make a buck but this is too much for me. combine that with the re-cap before each segement and there is very little new content left.

Full time professional trapper

Posts: 313 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 13 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the show.

In the sheep hunt, Shockey proved he is tough. Looked to me he made a couple of serious mistakes on the buff hunt. Surprising mistakes.

Can't wait for the next episode.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like a few shows in Tanzania coming up as well as a hunt with Ivan Carter in Mozambique. Really looking forward to these.

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I enjoy Shockey's shows more than any others, especially the Uncharted series. He's the real deal, and a nice guy to boot. A far cry from those tree sitting, hooraying, loud mouth, mostly hillbillies that make "shows" now.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JGRaider:
I enjoy Shockey's shows more than any others, especially the Uncharted series. He's the real deal, and a nice guy to boot. A far cry from those tree sitting, hooraying, loud mouth, mostly hillbillies that make "shows" now.

Yes, we have so many shows that present hunters and sportsmen in a positive light these days, e.g., Pigman (stunningly the 2014 Sportsman Channel Best Hunting Show award winner), Guntucky, The Reluctant Outdoorsman . . . I could go on but it is just too damn depressing to do so. The closer your IQ is to your shoe size, the better your chances of success are today in outdoor television. And some want to come on here and nit pick Tracks Across Africa . . . Roll Eyes

Mike

Posts: 21698 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
quote:
Originally posted by JGRaider:

Yes, we have so many shows that present hunters and sportsmen in a positive light these days, e.g., Pigman (stunningly the 2014 Sportsman Channel Best Hunting Show award winner), Guntucky, The Reluctant Outdoorsman . . . I could go on but it is just too damn depressing to do so. The closer your IQ is to your shoe size, the better your chances of success are today in outdoor television. And some want to come on here and nit pick Tracks Across Africa . . . Roll Eyes

Agree 100% !!!

So many of them are flat out embarrassing!

The qualifications must be either as Mike said - their shoe size or a hot blond that shoots a pink bow....

Nothing at all against women hunting and I do like to see young families in the field but it is rather obvious with the tight t-shirts, painted nails and $200.00 hairdos sitting in a ground blind...

And IMHO - the WORST OF ALL are the deer hunting competitions!!!

Maybe I'm just getting old...

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Sellers:
I believe the show is titled "Uncharted" not "Unchartered"? Not a big deal, just saying.

Larry Sellers
R8 Blaser

quote:

Thanks, fixed

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I only DVR two shows that I consider worth my time

#1 and IMO the best produced hunting show on TV.....The Western Hunter

There is no other hunting show that comes close

#2 is Uncharted

I have enjoyed Jim Shockey's TV shows for a long time

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thomas "Ty" Beaham
posted Hide Post
quote:

It's not the images that disturb this former fan.

It's the fact he hunted with Gert Saaiman and Andre Van Deventer in the Congo.

Despicable and unforgivable.

Okay belly rubbers, flame away! flame

Posts: 3035 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 07 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thomas "Ty" Beaham:
quote:

It's not the images that disturb this former fan.

It's the fact he hunted with Gert Saaiman and Andre Van Deventer in the Congo.

Despicable and unforgivable.

Okay belly rubbers, flame away! flame

I'm lost..educate me. I assume this outfitter is shady somehow?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There has been some bad things happen with at least one.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
Before or after Jim hunted with them?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not certain .

One of Us
Picture of Thomas "Ty" Beaham
posted Hide Post
They were both arrested and charged before he hunted with them.
http://forums.accuratereloadin...171003231#6171003231

Posts: 3035 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 07 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That confirms what I recall . It was rhino poaching.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't know either guy/operator who are mentioned or what/when they were accused/convicted and on what charges. I do know most hunts that are aired on TV may be filmed far in advance of actual airing. I find it highly unlikely that Mr. Shockey would purposely book and film a sequence with a convicted outfit/outfitter??? Roll Eyes There would be absolutely no reason/advantage for him to do that in my mind.

Still say the Show "Uncharted" is number one.

Larry Sellers
R8 Blaser

One of Us
posted Hide Post
450/400 - Looking forward to the Tanz with Ivan Carter on Uncharted sequences. Especially after Ivan getting the boot from another has been production.(JMHO) Hope Ivan gets back in front of the camera where he certainly belongs. Will be a plus for all of us.

Larry Sellers
R8 Blaser

quote:
Originally posted by Heym 450/400:
Looks like a few shows in Tanzania coming up as well as a hunt with Ivan Carter in Mozambique. Really looking forward to these.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Sellers:
450/400 - Looking forward to the Tanz and Mozambique with Ivan Carter on Uncharted sequences. Especially after Ivan getting the boot from another has been production.(JMHO) Hope Ivan gets back in front of the camera where he certainly belongs. Will be a plus for all of us.

Larry Sellers
R8 Blaser

quote:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
this season doesn't seem as good as last season to me. I'm glad Corey is out, but it seems like Jim is ramping up the the corny drama a little bit to compensate? dude you can be stoked when you kill something. yes we get it, you have complete respect for the animal... a fist pump is ok, doesn't have to always be the somber ancient traditional whatever.

Posts: 756 | Location: California | Registered: 26 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
I have to say, the trumped up drama on Shockey's show just turns me off. Whoa is me, whoa is me.

I still rank Tracks Across Africa as the No. 1 show. Real hunters, usually different ones each week, going on real hunts.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes.. A good show for sure but the variety is not there compared to Shockeys shows. The drama does get a little much sometimes, but he is hunting somewhere different and new most of the time. His hunts to me are as "real" as it gets. IMHO

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes.. A good show for sure but the variety is not there compared to Shockeys shows. The drama does get a little much sometimes, but he is hunting somewhere different and new most of the time. His hunts to me are as "real" as it gets. IMHO

Yea, my use of the term "real hunts" was probably not the best choice of words. Didn't mean to imply Jim doesn't go on "real" hunts. More so, just that I prefer the variety of seeing everyday guys (and gals from time to time) enjoying Safari. Jim has more variety in places hunted and species while Tracks has more variety in folks doing the hunting. I'm friends with several of the people you see on Tracks from time to time and I suppose I just enjoy watching some of my buddies hunts more than those of the same guy, or his daughter, week in and week out.

Both shows are a huge cut above the "Bubba" stuff that is prevalent on hunting shows. I say that as a card carrying member of the "bubba" club! Cool Tracks as well as Uncharted are both positive influences for the world of hunting IMO. But again, Jim's drama just wears thin for me very quickly.

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
I have to say, the trumped up drama on Shockey's show just turns me off. Whoa is me, whoa is me.

I still rank Tracks Across Africa as the No. 1 show. Real hunters, usually different ones each week, going on real hunts.

THIS, and I really like Tony Makris' show as well.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
For me personally its Uncharted and Under Wild Skies. tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
For me personally its Uncharted and Under Wild Skies. tu2

I think this years Under Wild Skies is vastly inferior to prior years. If there is a positive, at least the love fest between Makris and Calitz is no longer on camera .

One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
I do not get wild TV or Sportsman or Outdoors or whatever the hell they are all called. I have seen many shows that just turn me and my wife off............ so we will not pay for the channels as watching about 5% of the programming for the price is not a good value for the dollar.

Having said that I have seen a fair number of the shows in hotel rooms in the last couple of years and I still have the same opinion, most are crap. I have seen a couple that were good and I have seen a number of Shockey's. This show is, while well intentioned, just too corny and melodramatic. I am sure I am being too critical for many, but for me and my wife...... well we are just not going to pay to get it.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1842 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote