New
Find
Notify
Tools

Greg Butler Safaris in Bots
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone have an update on his hunts and how his areas are? I understand he runs a top notch outfit.

Posts: 10215 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chris Lozano
posted Hide Post
Contact member Paul Reed he hunted with them & had a great hunt. I have contacted the Butlers,they only had one elephant hunt left for this year. They were not sure what was going to happen next year. Chris

Posts: 753 | Location: Michigan USA | Registered: 27 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dogcat,
Apologies I have been away from the forums or would have responded sooner...
I did my first buffalo hunt (2 plains game safaris previously) with Greg Butler Safaris in July of 2008 in the Okavango. In short I would very highly recommend them on a number of fronts:

Quality of the camp-a typical bush camp in the middle of the Delta. All the facilities needed, excellent camp staff, service and food. We hunted at the Tau Camp in Khwai and it was a wonderful experience. Lions in camp 2 or three nights during he 10 day hunt was the highlight. Vehicles in excellent working order etc. hot and cold running water, nice permanent tents, good sleeping arrangements in short all that you could ask for.

Quality of the hunt-I saw huge herds of buffalo some numbering 2-3000 at times. I shot my buffalo on the second day because he was just too good to pass up. He taped out at 44 inches with nice hard 16 inch bosses and a deep drop which is often not typical of Botswana buffalo. It was clearly everything I could ask for in a first (of many?) buffalo. See photo posted below. He was in a herd of about 4-500 and we stalked him for an hour and a half before I made the shot. At the shot we (my wife accompanied me, trackers, PH) were surrounded by buffalo on all sides. It made for some interesting memories. I also took a croc, tsessebe, red lechwe and an impala all respectable trophies and challenging hunts. Botswana's Okavango Delta is a place that everyone should see before checking out. Truly remote and wild.

Quality of the staff-Trackers, skinners and camp staff were absolutely first rate. My PH, Gareth Flemix, was an outstanding professional hunter and an incredible wealth of knowledge for being "only 32". He apprenticed under the great Basie Maartens and specializes in elephant and dangerous game. Everything you could ask for in a PH and in total control of the camp and all matters of the hunt. I posted a very favorable hunt report on The hunting Report if you search for my name.

Greg Butler Safaris Operations-- is a very well run outfit and if I am correct Greg purchased the operation a number of years ago from Soren Lindstrom who is one of the greats in Botswana hunting. His wife, Kelly, runs all parts of the operations as regards to preparations for the hunt, communications etc . My pre hunt preparations were perfect in all matters and the hunts was very smoothly run. I was informed by Gareth in subsequent emails that Greg Butler has secured another hunting area for six years next to the Chobe National park close to the Chobe river. This area is one of the best elephant hunting areas in Botswana and in a area which has very big elephants. It seems the government has given more elephant this year. Contact Kelly directly by email and let her know of your interest and that I pointed you in their direction: sls@info.bw

I have a series of photos that I can link you to and can provide more details if you will PM me. Other forum members I believe (Carolina Counsel and JDollar) have hunted with Greg Butler. He is perhaps less well known than the big name outfits, but from what I could tell was equivalent in every respect. The only down side to hunting in Botswana is that you will pay a bit more and you have to "preselect" your trophies before, but after all was said and done I found it to be a small price to pay for hunting in Botswana and one of the best places (IMLO) in Africa.

Let me know if I can provide more information, but note that I leave for a Namibia plains game hunt with my son Brandon (his first safari) on 16 May for 2 weeks.

Thanks
Paul

"Diligentia - Vis - Celeritas"
NRA Benefactor Member
Member DRSS

Posts: 1026 | Location: Southeastern PA, USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That Buff is Superb. Great job.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Very Nice Buff

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good lord, that's a buff.

My father and I hunted with Greg Butler in 2006. Great experience and fine quality animals. I got some bad advice ahead of time from my consultant through whom I booked the trip, and I would love the chance to steer others correctly if they book the trip.

Should you wish to chat about the outfitter, please shoot me a PM. I'd be happy to call you. Note that I leave on the 15th for 10 days in Argentina. Thanks, trey

One of Us
Picture of Safaris Botswana Bound
posted Hide Post
Greg is a proactive and professional member of the Botswana Wildlife Management Association (BWMA)and as the Executive director of this association I can assure readers he is a member in good standing with a excellent reputation.
Sincerely
Graeme Pollock

Posts: 473 | Location: Botswana | Registered: 29 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Outstanding Trophy !

Seloushunter

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
my hunt with him 4 years ago was superlative in all respects. got everything i wanted and expected AND MORE!!!

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13180 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
He's a Beauty!!! Congrats

Posts: 2329 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ovny
posted Hide Post
Really beautiful. My most sincere congratulations. Maybe someday I ... (it's free to dream jejeje).

I am Spanish

My forum:www.armaslargasdecaza.com

Posts: 1131 | Location: Spain (Madrid) | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote