Tools

New NAPHA press release
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of JohnHunt
posted
NAPHA Press Release
October 9th, 2009

We at NAPHA, the Namibian Professional Hunting Association, are proud of our country, our clients and our members who are committed to ethical hunting. Namibia is one of the few countries in the world where government and the hunting industry work closely together. In Namibia sport hunting is widely accepted and approved and our visiting hunters are treated well. In hindsight we realize that, unfortunately our press release of September 23 created several impressions that worked against us. We would like to correct those impressions and set the record straight.

First, some background on the issue of hunting big cats: On April 24 and June 15 this year, the Namibian Ministry of Environment and Tourism (MET, which has jurisdiction over our hunting industry) issued moratoriums, first on cheetah and then on leopard, for the issuing of trophy hunting permits. The export quotas for these two species had been met for the year. MET’s decision was supported by NAPHA, although several Trophy Hunting Operators had to inform clients of this on short notice.

Meanwhile, word of unscrupulous and possibly illegal leopard hunting began to reach us. NAPHA’s Executive Committee called a Special General Meeting, on July 31, of the membership to discuss the leopard and cheetah situation. An overwhelming majority voted to request MET to temporarily suspend hound hunting, and to draft better guidelines for fair-chase pursuit of these animals.
Second, our public perceived threats: We should not have invoked the US Fish Wildlife Service, the America’s Lacey Act or any other international authorities or laws. It was not our intention to threaten or single out any specific nationality of hunting client. A trophy that was taken unlawfully in Namibia, could in turn, trigger local laws in whatever country the illegal trophy is shipped to.

Third, visiting hunters are not responsible for knowing Namibia’s trophy hunting laws and regulations in detail. We agree that they must be able to put themselves in the hands of our qualified and registered Namibian Hunting Professionals and have the confidence that these laws will be kept.

Fourth, NAPHA itself: We are a not-for-profit, member-run trade association, not an arm of government, and we have no legal authority. Since 1974 we have sought to protect the right to hunt by establishing guidelines for fair chase and by advising government on game and land-use laws to sustain our wild species. Membership is voluntary and today the majority of Namibia’s Hunting Professionals belong to the association. In order to join NAPHA, Hunting Professionals are required to provide proof that they fulfill all the required criteria to operate in Namibia - this is one of the many benefits of booking with a NAPHA member. We are the only group that represents the private sector of the trophy hunting industry in Namibia.

Hunting Professional certification in Namibia is awarded by MET, not by NAPHA. There are legitimate Hunting Professionals in Namibia, who are not members of NAPHA. Disagreements can occur in any group of people, and some individuals are not “joiners.” It is not our intention to force people into our association. It is our intention, however, to get everyone in our country to play according to the rules in order to safeguard hunting for the future.

Illegal hunting became a fact of life from the moment the first game laws were enacted, centuries ago. Since then it’s been an ongoing battle, with standards continually evolving. Today Namibia has some of the most sane and sensible game laws on earth—and, as a direct result, some of the best trophy hunting. However, as long as there are hunting clients who want certain trophies at any cost and by any means, there will be Hunting Professionals willing to deliver, even here in Namibia.

The present furor has come about because we take these matters seriously and because we want to inform people about the possible pitfalls of hunting in Namibia with illegal, non-qualified and unregistered outfitters conducting unlawful and unethical hunting.

However, our original statement was too harsh; we apologize. With hunting under pressure in so many places, we cannot afford to create divisions within our own ranks—especially concerning matters that most hunters agree on. Response from around the world showed us this, and is helping to guide our actions. We appreciate the feedback.

Our goals here are self-regulation within Namibia and open communication with the international community—for the sake of our superb trophy hunting.

NAPHA Executive Committee

Posts: 1678 | Registered: 16 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Well, that's a lot better.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12552 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A better thought out follow up. I do not see where they specifically said they will not notify US authorities.
To me, the solution is simple. If quotas are being exceeded, simply require all trophies to go thru their government's offices by the PH. There might be law breakers (Clients & PH's), but if they cannot export trophies that should stop. If one of the company principals has to present the paperwork... Does the word "Incarceration" fit here? I received an Email from the NAPHA Board Prez in reference to one I sent him. He was gracious, and IMHO they are trying to fix this. It may not be as simple as we think.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds a lot more reasonable. Let's watch closely and cautiously.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
I had stayed out of this till now. I was really pissed because I was looking at Namibia for next year to get the Kudu and Gemsbock that I could not get when I was in TZ. I talked to several great Namibian outfitters and talked to other hunters who had been there and had pretty well decided it was a go, until this. I don't take too kindly to people threatening me OR my fellow Americans. I will NOT do business with anyone or any country that has this type of policy in place. I am happy that cooler heads have prevailed, and they have stepped back from such a stupid statement. I was already talking to some friends who go to DSC with me every year about having T-shirts and bumper stickers made up for the event, with "Boycott Namibia" on them. I think they would have been very much in demand! While I realize this would have negatively affected some good folks in Namibia, it would not be near as disastrous as getting taken to court by any agency of the U.S. govt. I think we are all pretty much in agreement about ethical hunting practices. I am glad this situation is getting resolved, so that we can get back to the important thing... Hunting!

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2268 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Shona
posted Hide Post
I can promise all of you that Napha head office has been put under a lot of pressure from the internationals clients, and us as members, regarding the issue.
Their initial intention was good they just did a lousy job of sending the message out.
They are however trying to fix this and they’ve learned some lessons in the process.

We need to keep order to be able to make trophy hunting a heritage we can pass down to our children and we need to stand together to achieve this.

As mentioned by lee440 lets get back to hunting.

Johann Veldsman

Shona Hunting Adventures

www.facebook.com/shonahunting

www.AfricanHuntingNamibia.com
www.conservation-hunting.com
Mobile: +264 81 128 3105

P.o. Box 564
Outjo
Namibia
Africa

Posts: 196 | Location: Namibia | Registered: 23 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
lesson #1 - first engage brain, second engage mouth

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shona:
I can promise all of you that Napha head office has been put under a lot of pressure from the internationals clients, and us as members, regarding the issue.
Their initial intention was good they just did a lousy job of sending the message out.
They are however trying to fix this and they’ve learned some lessons in the process.

We need to keep order to be able to make trophy hunting a heritage we can pass down to our children and we need to stand together to achieve this.

As mentioned by lee440 lets get back to hunting.

AGREED... beer

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
quote:
However, our original statement was too harsh; we apologize. With hunting under pressure in so many places, we cannot afford to create divisions within our own ranks—especially concerning matters that most hunters agree on. Response from around the world showed us this, and is helping to guide our actions. We appreciate the feedback.
thumb

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
I posted this in the other thread....but I wont be watched over by some "mother hen" association which sees their own people as so off the reservation that they need to threaten me to gain a bit of control over them. While I am an honest hunter, I don't care much for the Lacey Act in and of itself and I DEFINITELY don't care for a private foreign entity policing its members and using me and the Lacey Act as leverage against them. Reading the above, I don't really see them backing away from that.....only saying "oh, uh...we'll do it to everyone and not just Americans...sorry to single you guys out". Gee thanks. I'll be sure to remember that when I'm thrown in a US prison for some largely inconsequential and unnoticed goof made by my NAPHA member PH.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anyone have an idea when a decision will be made for next years leopard hunting? I have 5 clients booked for next year. 3 have booked for leopard and 2 for plainsgame. You would think it would be soon.

Posts: 834 | Location: Plover, Wi | Registered: 04 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
What a relief!

Now I can quit looking over my shoulder for the feds!

This has been keeping me up nights.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13404 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do not see what anyone is relieved about, there was no retraction concerning Lacey only possibly inclusions for others. These guys need to speek straight to this point as far as I am concerned. I can get all the official song and dance right here at home and most of us know howto see through it !

One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
That does sound better but this Namibia uproar got me thinking more about Zimbabwe. They need the money more and as far as I know have never threatened to report U. S. hunters to Fish & Wildlife etc. A game scout also accompanies hunting parties which would seem to guarantee legality of the safari operation.

In addition, I don't think Zimbabwe has the prohibitions against hunting with handgund that Namibia has. Yea, Zimbabwe is looking better in my mind.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gbanger
posted Hide Post
I still think the board that wrote and approved of the original message are too stupid to hold their positions. They have shaken my faith and I can't imagine the member hunters feel they can trust them to rep them without further f*ckups. They said that hunters should be able to rely on their PH to keep them legal. Well hell, that's what we said from the beginning. Is this rocket science?

Gpopper

Posts: 296 | Location: Texas | Registered: 24 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No question about the distrust and problematic atmosphere created by the NAPHA policy. What a mess NAPHA inflicted on the sporting world. A leopard does not change its spots....it would be much, much better for NAPHA if all NAPHA officials involved in the plot be named publicly and step down.

I also was planning to book Nambia for 2010 but will book elsewhere now. Quite simply, I will not take the risk of NAPHA business practice. Even if you successfully defend yourself legally against NAPHA trechery the legal costs with be enormous and would bankrup the normal person. The NAPHA board should be replaced ASAP.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree that this is much better but it is going to take more than this to regain my trust.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
+1 thumb . I will have to see more than just this to convince me that Namibia is in my future. I go to hunt and enjoy it, not to worry before, during and after that Big Brother will come a knocking. No way, no how.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am sixty now. Never spent a night in jail. I'm too old to start now, although I hear their medical plan is better than the one yobamma has in mind.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am sixty now. Never spent a night in jail. I'm too old to start now, although I hear their medical plan is better than the one yobamma has in mind.

Rich, at least no one can accuse you of not having a sense of humor...! Smiler

Karl Stumpfe
Ndumo Hunting Safaris www.huntingsafaris.net
karl@huntingsafaris.net
P.O. Box 1667, Katima Mulilo, Namibia
Cell: +264 81 1285 416
Fax: +264 61 254 328
Sat. phone: +88 163 166 9264

Posts: 1333 | Location: Namibia, Caprivi | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
NAPHA has waffled by "saying" things are all better now and they made a mistake. But what about their "actions" if something comes up? It would be just as easy for them to go back on their word and revert to the same threat factor in a hearbeat. There creditability is ruined, unless all of the Board Members are replaced by a true vote of the membership. Even then I most likely won't take the chance and hunt there again, just not worth it. And damm, Namibia is such a cool place. If I go back, it will be sightseeing only or possibly a hunt on a small property with a non NAPHA member.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tempest in a teapot.

I suppose it would be selfish of me to hope a lot of guys get their britches all wadded up and stay home? The prices would be cheaper and the animals under less pressure.

How about if I set myself up as an NGO and threaten to report anyone that hunts in Canada to USFWS, can I have it to myself?

j

Posts: 304 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 01 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Josh A.:
How about if I set myself up as an NGO and threaten to report anyone that hunts in Canada to USFWS, can I have it to myself?

If you have a major percentage of Canadian guides as members, already have difficulty regulating them, and resort to threatening the customer to gain influence over those members.....yes, you can then have Canada all to yourself. This is a tempest in a teapot only as long as NAPHA doesn't pull your card. Sure, the odds of an incident sending you to jail under the Lacey Act are small, but is it worth it when there are close substitutes where this is apparently less likely? I will hunt Zimbabwe or RSA this year for the same reason I wear my seatbelt and stay inside during thunderstorms. NAPHA has sadly shown the degree to which hunting in Namibia is now potentially a low probably / high consequence affair. Too bad.

JMHO

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like more than a few of you, I took advantage of the link to send some Email to the NAPHA ceo. He has been gracious to respond. I had suggested they implement a verification system that would require Leopard trophies to be checked in by the PH involved with the harvest at the end of the hunt when he takes the client to town to fly out. Seems like a pretty good way to handle the problem. No verification of legality, no shippee! A couple of you had the same idea. An Email this morning and he said that they were working with the MET to do pretty much the same thing. He basically said that they had a FBMLP* at the meeting and over reacted. I think this is resolved and we can put Namibia back on the "to do" list. He said they got over three hundred Emails from AR members, nearly unanimous in content. Way to go AR!!

Rich

*FBMLP is a Full Bore Modified Linear Panic. That's where you have a cranial rectal inversion and fly into a tizzy because you can't see. You run blindly at full speed until you run into something like a tree or off a cliff. When you regain consciousness your inversion has reversed and you realize what you have done.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Sellers:
NAPHA has waffled by "saying" things are all better now and they made a mistake. But what about their "actions" if something comes up? It would be just as easy for them to go back on their word and revert to the same threat factor in a hearbeat. There creditability is ruined, unless all of the Board Members are replaced by a true vote of the membership. Even then I most likely won't take the chance and hunt there again, just not worth it. And damm, Namibia is such a cool place. If I go back, it will be sightseeing only or possibly a hunt on a small property with a non NAPHA member.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

It is not resolved until the NAPHA board is removed by a true NAPHA membership vote. NAPHA is willing to destroy an American's life without a moments hesitation. NAPHA made that painfully clear. Now, NAPHA says "oops, we need to try and slaughter non-NAPHA PH's in a quieter fashion and just pick-off the occassional American. Don't arouse all the Americans all at once. That means massive trouble." So, once again the allmighty dollar wins again....it was never about conservation. It was always about NAPHA greed and dishonesty. Don't forget that. Replace the NAPHA board immediately by a true NAPHA membership vote.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote