Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone read Russian?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of hhmag
posted
A buddy in St. Petersberg sent me a magazine that has a pic of me in it, but I can't read the caption. I'd love to be able to tell folks I show it to what the caption says! Any help?
This is the mag-

And here's my pic-

I was testing a scope for a Russian optics company and they ended up using the pic for an article about the scope in that mag.

Posts: 395 | Location: Florida's Fabulous East Coast | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
hhmag,

The magazine is called Master Russiye which I think means Master Russian edition. It is the July 2004 edition. It says what would be "Iranski" Walther whatever that means. Words that I could understand on your picture include "Horoshi rabotsii" or hard working, there is a half obscured "Amerikannii" for American and "Afrikiye" for African. Sorry but I'll try and recall a little more Russian and also check with a friend.

Was the scope made at Lytkarino at the BC Rubin amalgamation? I have visited there and my father's company in India used to import crowns and flint buttons for manufacturing spectacle lenses from them. They had some beautiful binoculars and also some night vision equipment in production some 15 years ago.

Let me try and find a friend who may be able to help with the translation further...

Congratulations and good hunting!

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's hard to translate. Not only is it in Cyrillic, but photo captions are also written in a form of Russian Italics .

I think it says... the Otechesveny (brand name?) scope PPO 6-24x60 is even used by Americans. They quote you as saying that it is a "good working scope" on it's debut hunt in South Africa.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hhmag
posted Hide Post
of course something is screwy with hunt 101 now, so the pics aren't there. As far as the manufacturer, I believe it was Diar-One of the military contract companies. They gave me a sniper scope to test on something "long range" so I slapped it on a 338 Lapua I built and did some testing out to 1200m with it. The wb was taken at 480m.
I do know who Geno is, but I don't personally know him-not the freind I mentioned. Anyway, thanks guys, that's a start. If the pics are't up later I'll move them to my server.
Rob

Posts: 395 | Location: Florida's Fabulous East Coast | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote