New
Find
Notify
Tools

What would you do?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm getting ready to retire. At least from my regular 18 hour a day 7 day a week gig and slow down life a bit.

I'm in the beginning part of putting together a hunt in Africa. I will be doing 2 weeks in RSA followed by 4 weeks in Tanzania. This is a special event in my life and so money although always an issue is not dictating what or where I go.

In RSA the normal PG will apply and I would like a nice Kudu and Lechwee but after that I'm open to whatever happens along .

After that I will head to Tanzania and want to hunt the Selous and Moyosie (sp). On my list here are first a lion and second an Elephant. Of course in 4 weeks I hope to knock off a few buffalo, hippo, croc and other PG. A leopard would be nice but two cats in one trip might be asking a lot.

Now to the question at hand. In 6 total weeks I would expect to do a fair amount of shooting and with the 11 lb limit on ammo I’m concerned about how many rounds and of what to take along.

I personally would love to use the 600 OK on an elephant but ammo is kind of heavy so I couldn’t take that many rounds along. (5-6 rounds to the pound)

If I take the 600 then what else. I need a good PG rifle for RSA. So I’ve got the 600 and some variant of a PG rifle. Now I need another rifle to handle all the other game, Buffalo, Lion, Hippo, Croc, Leopard (the PG set up would handle the leopard). Something in the 416 to 500 caliber range.

I've got a number of switch barrel rigs that are simply great but I don't know how the Governments there view Switch barrel rifles.

I know this is a three gun affair if I take the 600.

What makes the most sense is to grab my 375 H&H and either a 416 rem or a 458 lott and go BUT I want to be different so what do you guys think.

There are very few cartridges I don't have a rifle for (at least the more common ones).

Since ammo weight is an issue and if I take the 600 I certainly can't take too much else

What would my fellow big bore nuts do in this situation?

I guess right now I’m thinking:
600 OK 20 solids for ele and a couple buff or hippo (4 lbs)

475 A&M 12 expanding 20 solids (4 lbs)

340 Wby 45 expanding (3 lbs)

So let’s know what you all think. I know what is smart but to be truthful, I’m not going to be.

Thanks

Posts: 855 | Location: Belgrade, Montana | Registered: 06 October 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
fritz,

You want me to move this to the African Big Game forum? Your questions seem more appropritate for that forum.

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Terry, I thought that is where I posted it but messed up. Please do move it to the African Forum.

Posts: 855 | Location: Belgrade, Montana | Registered: 06 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think you should take a 600 OK and 10 rounds.

Plus a 375 H&H and all the rest of the rounds for it. You can get extra 375 ammo in RSA to replace whatever you shoot on PG.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
John,

I think you should go to Namibia instead of RSA...give me a call...you have my 411

After that I agree with Dan...take the 600 OK a whatever you think you will need for that and the rest in 375 HH.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community to use any opportunity to reply to a post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence problem.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10068 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz454:
...my regular 18 hour a day 7 day a week gig

Slacker! Big Grin

While I think the .340 Wby. is a great round, you need something that is legal for all DG in Tanzania.

The .475A&M is similar to the .470 Capstick or .470 Mbogo, so you should be able to deal with 200yd. shots on PG, plus all the DG you encounter.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you take someone (wife, mistress, etc.) you can put an additional 11 lbs. in their bag as well. This will give you a total of 22 lbs.

Sounds like a hunt of a lifetime!

Tim

Posts: 1430 | Location: California | Registered: 21 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fritz,

Take what you want ... have your partner carry some shells for you.

Enjoy the hell out of a great hunt!

(I'd probably take a 9,3x74R scoped DR, a scoped CZ in .416 Rigby, and a .470 NE DR ... but that's what I have so it's not the "perfect" bunch! If limited to two I'd take the DRs.)

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Slacker!

jumping

I know the 375 H&H is a great round but I just find it so booring. Probably because it's so good but I would rather take something different.

George, I look to my 340 just because we are old friends and I've taken game at ranges I should not have. For PG I couldn't have a better choice but you're right about the legal minimums for DG

So far it seems that the main advise it take two rifles not three. I certainly agree it's the smart move but when I figure I'll be spending upwards of 100k probably more the zing for extra baggage is hardly felt.

Now if it turns out to be no problem to take an extra barrel then with 2 screws My 475 A&M can become a 378 WBY in a minute or less.

Another switch barrel I have will go from a 470 Capstick to a 375 H&H with the same effort.

Shumba, this will be a solo trip. If I had 22 lbs it would be simple.

This 11 lb limit is just stupid. I can see a number limit but not weight.

I guess this is all part of the "pre hunt fun".

Thanks for the advise, keep it comming.

I'll give you a call mike.

John

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mstarling, If I had a DR this would be even worse. I've been toying with getting a 577 NE and if I did I would probably forgo the 600. Even though that would be a shame.

And to think I still need to go over the trophy lists and figure out what it is I want to chase after. Fun?......Hell yea.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
...I'm gonna' presume the "600" you make reference to taking to Africa, is a .600Nitro Express. The last time, the only time, I saw a .600NE was about 30 years ago in Kalispell, Mt. At the time I saw the rifle, it was leaning up against the wall behind a door in John Buhmiller's home. Now, since you live in Belgrade, I wonder...is perhaps, this the SAME rifle that once belonged to Mr. Buhmiller?
Just curious???

one of us
posted Hide Post
JLS,
Its a 600 Overkill developed my a fellow formite here on AR. I guess there are about a dozen in existance and I have two of them. I don't think any of them have been to Africa and I would like to be the one to change that.

If you're down in Belgrade area PM me and maybe we can get some range time with it if you like.

It will toss 900 gr bullets at 2400 fps and at that is difficult to hold onto. I load 900 gr pills at 2240 and it is very shootable although almost 14 pounds.

If you do a search for 600 OK or 600 overkill. you'll learn all you want and more.

John

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you take a 375 you have a good chance of getting replacement ammo even in Tanzania, so long as your ph knows in advance. Those other calibers I doubt you will find ammo for anywhere in Africa. What if your ammo gets separated from you on the trip of a lifetime?

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fritz454:

Anything THAT large requires a wheeled vehicle to move it about, with a lanyard to fire it! rotflmo
JLS

one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually at 2200 fps or so it's no worse than a lott, actually less. Quite pleasant.

Two years ago I carried it over the mountains here and you get used to a few extra pounds rather quickly. The elk and deer sure didn't like it though.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Fritz 454,

You could take the .375 H & H for plains game, the cats, and the croc. Then save the 600 OK for hippo, buff, and ele + followups if any.

Rob didn't take his to africa and I am locked in now to the 500 AHR for my hunt this summer, so you would be the first to break the ice.

I did shoot a bison with it last fall with a 900 gr soft. It dropped like a sack of flower. Should be good for the cape buff also Smiler

Dak

Posts: 495 | Location: USA | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz454:
Shumba, this will be a solo trip. If I had 22 lbs it would be simple.

So the answer is to take someone along as your ammo bearer! Where do we file the applications? wave

You posted a similar thread in Big Bores last summer if I remember correctly. I stand by my answer that you will regret it if you do not take a big boomer like your 600 OK. Anything else that can do double-duty would be fine, although if you have to refuel with ammo your options are limited.

However you decide to do it, I hope you have a great trip.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
So the answer is to take someone along as your ammo bearer! Where do we file the applications?

I'm starting my search at Hooters Wink

I know I'll have a great time and the ammo and what rifle to take will all work out but for now I'm excited about it and any little detail is cause for hours of thought.

Last year I was going but got sick with pneumonia and that took me out for most of the season. This one I'm doing regardless.

DAK, I did a bison a coupel years ago and it sure does hammer them good. I took two with two shots and both were on the ground before I came out of recoil. Same story for elk and deer. One deer wnt down like a trcuk fell on it. I was using a turned 500 gr hollow point at what I'm guessing was 26-2700 fps. Could have been more. Let's just say it was a humaine kill.

John