THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Anyone Here Actually Know Mark Sullivan or Ever Hunted with Him?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone Here Actually Know Mark Sullivan or Ever Hunted with Him?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by safari-lawyer:
Any idea what part of the state he settled in?

Nope..I've called him recently and asked him to sign up here on AR, I think he could be a very good contributor.

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3523 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Answered my own question:

Nitro Express Website says Northport, AL. This is just north of Tuscaloosa. Lots of golf there, just don't care for the football team. As an Auburn Man, I can tell you that Tuscaloosa ain't Hell, but you sure can see it from there. War Eagle.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Nitro Express Website says Northport, AL. This is just north of Tuscaloosa. As an Auburn Man, I can tell you that Tuscaloosa ain't Hell, but you sure can see it from there. War Eagle.

Will, do you golf? all good lawyers golf eh?

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3523 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nganga:
quote:

Nitro Express Website says Northport, AL. This is just north of Tuscaloosa. As an Auburn Man, I can tell you that Tuscaloosa ain't Hell, but you sure can see it from there. War Eagle.

Former golfer turned gentleman farmer. Traded my clubs for a John Deere tractor. There's less cursing and I cannot break the tractor over my knee.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
quote:

Nitro Express Website says Northport, AL. This is just north of Tuscaloosa. Lots of golf there, just don't care for the football team. As an Auburn Man, I can tell you that Tuscaloosa ain't Hell, but you sure can see it from there. War Eagle.

Poor Plainsman. Tired of those Elephants kicking butt? Big Grin

Maybe Mark moved to the National Championshipland because it has a few elephants around? Roll Tide!

BTW, I root for Auburn against anyone except my daughter's Dogs or the Bear's Bama. I still miss Shug. My grandmother's family were Jordans, pronounced as if the "o" were an "e". Kin somehow but I forgot how. Grandma's second cousin, I think. ????

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7693 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Former golfer turned gentleman farmer. Traded my clubs for a John Deere tractor. There's less cursing and I cannot break the tractor over my knee.

Shoot him an email, I've never known him to turn down a day on the links, he can smack a ball about 350, he's got some power.

Formerly "Nganga"

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
But, the man did donate alot over the years, and did support SCI for many years,

Now we know why SCI put up with him for so long.

But, it seems the dead weight just too heavy to handle, just like they did for Out Of Africa, and SCI had to drop both of them!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68617 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agreed.
Can we let him die in peace now?

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Brett Adam Barringer:
While I'm at it....just a thought. MS is often critisized for taking chances, getting too close, or pushing the envelope with clients in tow. I watched Boddington on elephant and saw Ivan's hunting style with elephants. I see some similarities in these two people, but you don't hear Ivan being constantly admonished (not that I think he should be). I remember an article Craig wrote on Ivan where he referenced that fact that fellow PHs felt his style was a little bold, up close, and asking for it. One could argue that this is Ivan's "style" or Buzz's "style" for that matter that they market to hunters to set themselves apart much like Mark Sulivan has his style to market himself and set apart his "brand". Before I have the whole place in an uproar let me say that I don't think they are the same what so ever. I do however see some similarities and wonder if we're being a bit hypocritical just because MS bashing is de rigueur and Ivan has the Boddington stamp of approval? Just a thought.

Brett

Brett,
I detect a certian softening on your feelings about MS,has Cal asked you about maybe doing this hunt with us?

Nganga

Cal sure has. I've been up at his cabin working out loads for my new double more than a few weekends this year. MS has come up in conversation more than a few times. My understanding is you guys are headed to the Selous. My next hunt I'm looking for a bruiser lion and the Selous isn't it. It interests me, but I'm not enamored with MS even if I've softened a lot. Perhaps I'd feel differently if I knew him.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
I cannot break the tractor over my knee.

..and if you could no one even on the internet would mess with you. That includes me.

Brett

PS. For the record after my Buckeyes imploded against Purdue I was rolling for the tide. Go Bama!!!

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
To sleep with Madonna you would have to share the experience with an NBA team.

rotflmo yuck rotflmo

quote:
or the reports of the despoiled concessions

tu2 I for one will never get past that one either!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37739 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
While I'm at it....just a thought. MS is often critisized for taking chances, getting too close, or pushing the envelope with clients in tow. I watched Boddington on elephant and saw Ivan's hunting style with elephants. I see some similarities in these two people, but you don't hear Ivan being constantly admonished

Brett,

First let me say they are actually A LOT alike!

Second, I said I disagreed with how Ivan harrased those old ele bulls by walking up in their faces just for the heck of it all the time on another thread. And...I caught hell for it.

One does NOT have to walk up to a bull ele and stick his rifle butt in his face to see if they have good teeth or not.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37739 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aaron Neilson wrote
However, I do know exactly where he is hunting, and I assure you, he has a good relationship with a couple of block owners. One of the blocks he has been hunting lately is AWESOME for big maned lion, buffalo & elephant.

Most of the well known Consession Owners in TZ kicked him out long time ago.
Mayby Sheni offers him the playground to play his stupid game

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
quote:
While I'm at it....just a thought. MS is often critisized for taking chances, getting too close, or pushing the envelope with clients in tow. I watched Boddington on elephant and saw Ivan's hunting style with elephants. I see some similarities in these two people, but you don't hear Ivan being constantly admonished

Brett,

First let me say they are actually A LOT alike!

Second, I said I disagreed with how Ivan harrased those old ele bulls by walking up in their faces just for the heck of it all the time on another thread. And...I caught hell for it.

One does NOT have to walk up to a bull ele and stick his rifle butt in his face to see if they have good teeth or not.

This is an interesting statement. The PH I recently used told me he had been taught a good elephant hunter gets in, looks at the tusks and gets out without disturbing the elephants.

Posts: 1311 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mboga biga bwana:
Most of the well known Consession Owners in TZ kicked him out long time ago.
Mayby Sheni offers him the playground to play his stupid game

mboga biga bwana - Maybe you're right! I didn't say I condone all of his antics, but I do know that he has a quality block for the afore-mentioned species.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Mate,

He changes blocks/leaseholders pretty much every year...... I've no idea why though. rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
Mate,

He changes blocks/leaseholders pretty much every year...... I've no idea why though. rotflmo

Not entirely true!!!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Aaron,

Nor nearly entirely untrue either.

That said, it's nothing to do with me how he or anyone else chooses to hunt..... and I will say that I find his hunting methods considerably less distasteful than those blokes who conduct dodgy lion hunts in RSA and surrounding areas.

At least MS hunts wild animals...... in fact, sometimes they're bloody livid!

animal rotflmo jumping rotflmo animal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
Aaron,

Nor nearly entirely untrue either.

That said, it's nothing to do with me how he or anyone else chooses to hunt..... and I will say that I find his hunting methods considerably less distasteful than those blokes who conduct dodgy lion hunts in RSA and surrounding areas.

At least MS hunts wild animals...... in fact, sometimes they're bloody livid!

animal rotflmo jumping rotflmo animal

Agreed!!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is an interesting statement. The PH I recently used told me he had been taught a good elephant hunter gets in, looks at the tusks and gets out without disturbing the elephants.

470 Evans,

Neil learned that from his Dad Barrie Duckworth and I'd dare say that Barrie knows a thing or three about elephants and elephant hunting.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13004 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:

tu2Exactly! That is my exact point!!! Smiler

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Neil learned that from his Dad Barrie Duckworth and I'd dare say that Barrie knows a thing or three about elephants and elephant hunting.

tu2

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Backing up to Sullivan's expulsion from the show, I wonder if the recent Supreme Court case involving animal cruelty on video had anything to do with SCI's decision? Perhaps they thought they had some exposure until the cased was resolved.

Just a thought.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Larry,

The way that law was worded ANY hunting video created exposure, but only in the state of New Jersey.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
QUOTE]

This is an interesting statement. The PH I recently used told me he had been taught a good elephant hunter gets in, looks at the tusks and gets out without disturbing the elephants.[/QUOTE]

That is exactly how to hunt elephant in an efficient manner, you only really close on the one you have decided to shoot. Not easy to do in "jesse" for instance but at all times the less you hassle them the more there'll be, and even your spoor hassles them...they can smell it for a good while

Posts: 280 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
the less you hassle them the more there'll be, and even your spoor hassles them...they can smell it for a good while

tu2...much less walking up into there space so they can see you...waiving your rifle in the air and hollering at them.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just when I thought it was safe to come back to AR.... Roll Eyes

One of Us
posted Hide Post
All Cane Rat wanted to know was if anyone here has every hunted with MS or knows anyone that has. This seems a simple enough question.

I for one would also like to know the answer to his question.

Posts: 555 | Location: the Mississippi Delta | Registered: 05 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Simple answer for you:

I have hunted with Mark on a 2x2x21 sharing the camp I was the “2nd “ PH guiding one of Marks clients.

I have known Mark since he first came to Tanzania (93), we also worked under the same company for 3 years.
sofa

Posts: 57 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 04 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcdjph:
Simple answer for you:

I have hunted with Mark on a 2x2x21 sharing the camp I was the “2nd “ PH guiding one of Marks clients.

I have known Mark since he first came to Tanzania (93), we also worked under the same company for 3 years.
sofa

Are you able to make a comment on the massive controversy that seems to surround this particular gentleman?

Can you dispel or otherwise the allegations that are levelled against him?

The simple reasons that I ask you is that you appear to be the only fellow qualified to comment. beer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do not think any one can say Mark is or has ever been anything less than a gentleman in either business or personally.

Is he arrogant yes, I remember around the camp fire the clients asked about charging game and asked me to recall my first buffalo charge; I did, and tried to make an entertaining story about it. Marks story went like this “the buffalo charged and I killed it!”

The controversy is well known and visible in the videos. He is not content in simply hunting game there has to be an edge to it, he started getting flack about not killing the animal at the first opportunity (which is the ethical way) and the allegations started about him telling clients to gut shoot buffalo so he could get a charge, I have heard stories but I truly do not know if this is true. But you have to be doing something wrong, or fishy to have that many charges in a season.

He then discovered Hippo; he “ethically” kills them outright, but is pushing them until they charge ethical? I believe not, is it against any law? I do not think so. The “letting them choose how they want to die” is BS he just wants the adrenalin rush.

With regard to SCI and Dallas I do not believe they did not give him a reason, I remember before he got asked to leave from both conventions they had covered his TVs with paper, exactly why I don’t know, but I thought he must have violated some bylaw with the amount of blood shown?? What ever the problem they had with his videos was from both DSC and SCI. DSC expelled him first and SCI probably had to follow suit, especially with such a well known person.

Clients know what they are getting when they hunt with Mark, ethical or unethical. He will not crook you, he will not sell you quota or an area he does not have and you will get your trophies delivered he does jump outfits a lot but he has always said he want to hunt as many areas as he can he does have disagreements with the outfitters but not over money usually over the amount of tuna fish he gets (he loves it). I don’t care for how he hunts but there are so many REALLY BAD guys out there why do we spend our energy on Mark?

Posts: 57 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 04 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
You're almost certainly never going to get someone in the industry to say something like 'I went here and saw evidence of this or that etc' because firstly it'd be unprofessional and secondly it'd almost certainly be unprovable and therefore grounds for legal action.

MS does (rightly or wrongly) get a lot of flack for the way he operates and I have to say his style isn't my style.... I'll also agree with mcdjph that he can be very arrogant but all that said, I thought the way he was treated by SCI was a bit out of order. Esp when they continue to give booth space to so many flaky buggers. And whatever else is said of MS, I've never heard him called flaky. Lots of other things but never flaky.

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcdjph:
the allegations started about him telling clients to gut shoot buffalo so he could get a charge, I have heard stories but I truly do not know if this is true. But you have to be doing something wrong, or fishy to have that many charges in a season.

I suppose anything is posible. I doubt that's the case though. However I did notice a couple things in his videos that could easily contribute to the abnormally high number of charges.....aside from him walking up as close as posible to the wounded animal and waiting on it to charge. First many of his clients had borrowed rifles from him. Most where big calibre open sighted doubles and one was a open sighted 500 Jefferey. Not exactly the best rifles to "pickup and get the feel of" on dangerous game. The second thing I noticed was Mark allowing clients to take some inadvisable at best first shoots. Buffalo at a full out run quartering away at 100ish yards with an open sighted double as it's reaching cover. Right or wrong I don't know, but certainly less than ideal. Perhaps not what ever PH would wish for an opening shot on and buffalo.

Brett

PS. I suppose one could argue that setting the client up for failure on his first shot could be construde as trying to get a wounded animal IF that's the case. Although there's many instances in his videos where he set his clients up well for a first shot.

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson