THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Man sues Louisville Safari Company after Failing to See Lion or Buffalo

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Man sues Louisville Safari Company after Failing to See Lion or Buffalo
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Man sues Louisville Safari Company after Failing to See Lion or Buffalo

9:25 AM, May. 16, 2011

Written by Jason Riley

A New York man claims he paid a Louisville company $28,000 to go on an African hunting safari after being promised access to “huntable quantities of both lion and cape buffalo.”

Instead, Richard Washburn said the trip to Mozambique was “a complete disaster,” plagued by lost guns and vehicle breakdowns and ending without him ever seeing a lion or buffalo, according to a lawsuit filed against the company, Hunt It All Inc., on Thursday in Jefferson Circuit Court.

Washburn claims he saw “one old lion track” 12 days into the trip, but did not see any other sigh of lions or buffalo during the 18-day safari in October 2010.

The lawsuit against Hunt it All and two representatives, Mark Willman and Terry Cundiff, also alleges that even if there had been lions and buffalo in the area, the company had failed to arrange for the appropriate number of roads and trails to have access to the animals. And the company, which began in 2005, dissolved shortly after the trip, Washburn claims in his lawsuit.

Besides the money paid to Hunt it All, Washburn also is seeking $7,600 in airfare and other costs for the trip, claiming the company “negligently, recklessly or intentionally misrepresented the truth.”

Claims made in filing a lawsuit present only one side of the case.

Cundiff did not immediately return a phone call seeking comment.

Willman said in a brief interview that the company is not active, but declined any further comment, saying he “wasn't aware of any lawsuit.”

Reporter Jason Riley can be reached at (502) 584-2197.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

DRSS; NRA; Illinois State Rifle Association; Missouri Sport Shooting Association

“One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce, and canonized those who complain.”
– Thomas Sowell, “The Vision Of The Anointed: Self-Congratulation As A Basis For Social Policy”

Posts: 771 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 09 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sort of like "Man Bites Dog" as a news story title ... Who would have thunk a couple of Loo-uh-vull, Kin-tuck-ee dudes could know anything about Mozambique lion and buffalo?
Only $28,000 for 18 days chasing both, and the Noo-Yawker expects roads and trails too???
Live and learn. Roll Eyes

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Lots of details about this fiasco over on africanhunting.com. Seems the booking agents were a fish farmer and a plumber. Not excusing the agents, but the hunters (there were three) should have known better too.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nearly every time I get a call from a guy that got ripped off, once you peel the layers off you find the client had some fault which is in every case not doing his homework. No doubt that the "operator \ agents" were bozo's, but a lion\buff for $28K ? Give me a break. You get what you pay for has a new poster child ! Plenty of blame to keep both sides of this sorry affair busy.

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lots of details about this fiasco over on africanhunting.com. Seems the booking agents were a fish farmer and a plumber. Not excusing the agents, but the hunters (there were three) should have known better too.

Do they say who the actual hunting company in Moz was?

Posts: 2826 | Location: Houston | Registered: 01 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Here is the post on africahunting.com

Africa Hunting Post

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smarterthanu:
quote:

Do they say who the actual hunting company in Moz was?

Mozambique Unlimited Safaris is the named company.

Will J. Parks, III

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here are some references to them I found in a search.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...191034541#7191034541

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had the opportunity to talk with Terry at the Eastern Sportsman's show a couple of yrs ago and enjoyed our conversations quite a lot. He has called me two more occasions and the last time we spoke he offered to let me come to Moz and just hang out for a few days at almost no cost to me. He was all about Africa, her people and the myriad and wonderful things an outdoor person can see and do there.

There is more to this than meets the eye in all probability.

Posts: 414 | Location: Tennille, Ga | Registered: 29 December 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
There is more to this than meets the eye in all probability.

I am afraid I tend to agree with you.

I read what was posted, and that raised a few quetions in my mind too.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68679 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by safari-lawyer:

jumping now that's funny! maybe they can pay off the settlement with dead catfish and free toilet fixin'????? animal

Posts: 353 | Location: tanzania, east africa | Registered: 27 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TANZ-PH:
quote:

jumping now that's funny! maybe they can pay off the settlement with dead catfish and free toilet fixin'????? animal

Don't laugh, Plumber are darn expensive...

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:
quote:
Originally posted by TANZ-PH:
quote:

Don't laugh, Plumber are darn expensive...

Indeed, after I typed the original plumber crack (get it?), my water heater broke. Plumber got the last laugh. For kicks I asked what he knew about Mozambique and he said, "Who? Don't think I know her".

Will J. Parks, III

Administrator
posted Hide Post
How much would it cost to shoot the following in Moz?

3 buffalo
2 leopards
2 sable
2 crocs
2 hippos.

The reason I am asking this is that I understand he said he paid for all the trophy fees upfront??!

Posts: 68679 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
How much would it cost to shoot the following in Moz?

3 buffalo
2 leopards
2 sable
2 crocs
2 hippos.

The reason I am asking this is that I understand he said he paid for all the trophy fees upfront??!

Saeed that are guide / average fees

3 Buffalo license fees 2400$ trophy fees 7650$ Total 10050$
2 Leopards license fees 2000$ trophy fees 6700$ Total 8700$
2 sable license fees 1800$ trophy fees 3000$ Total 7800$
2 crocs license fees 1200$ trophy fees 4000$ Total 5200$
2 hippos license fees 1800$ trophy fees 5000$ Total 6800$

Total license fees 9200$ total trophy fees 38550$

Usually only the license fee are payable upfront.

Problem in this case there was no legal quota no legal concession only an application from a moz partner for a 10 000 ha game farm. old

Posts: 395 | Location: Mozambique | Registered: 08 June 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Our group of 4 hunters arrived in Mozambique in September 2010. Preceding the trip was a few months of letter exchange with our agent Mark Willman from the American Hunt It All, Inc company. I have participated in over 20 African expeditions and usually (if we aren’t talking about standard antelope hunt in Namibia or SAR) I prefer not to pre-purchase a whole hunting package. I pay daily rates beforehand and pay for the trophies only when I kill the animals. In this case however I made an exception. This decision was obviously influenced by the offered discount, but final argument was the fact that Hunt It All, Inc president Terry Сundiff was also a co-owner of the receiving Mozambique Unlimited Safaris company. This means that Hunt It All, Inc was not just a regular booking agent, but exclusive and well informed one. During the two week hunt we were planning to get three buffalos, two leopards, two sable antelopes, two crocs and two hippo’s.

freischuetz,

Thank you for this information.

As you can see above, from the quote mentioned in this gentleman's post on another site.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd like to hear more details. Who lost the guns?? the outfitter? the PH? the airlines? bewildered

How much time lost for vehicle breakdown?? Vehicles do break down occasionally, and that's all part of safari hunting.

Sounds like a truly bad hunt, but also sounds like this guy didn't do his homework or check references?

This would be a very slippery slope to start suing outfitters because one did not get the trophies intended; or because "not enough roads". If outfitters need to get liability insurance to cover lawsuits like this, will run up safari cost dramatically! But it does sound like a rotten safari, and the outfitter (if honest) should offer something to this guy.

Posts: 353 | Location: tanzania, east africa | Registered: 27 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The guarantees on my two hunts were: if you can keep up with the crew, you WILL see the animals you came to hunt. I didn't hear or read "a pot shot, or kill one", just I would get a look.
That was enough for me, and I had an absolute blast both trips. Can't wait to go again...

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Reading this on My phone, a bit hard, but Cundiff is known as a rip off artist here in KY as an outfitter bif you talk to him, he is arrogant and knows more than everyone. One of our regular AR PH's was supposed to run that camp in Moz, got there, saw there was no game, and he quit. Sorry for the guys that booked, I am sure he laid out a super line of B.S. He bragged to me at 2010 DSC how he was partners with a corrupt Moz General. What a piece of crap! I hope the courts hammer him...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2981 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As exclusive owner to hunting rights, I , the owner/operator, booking agent , outfitter, PH, guide, tracker and skinner offer specialty hunts from wonderful accomodations! Physical shape of client is of no concern. Hunts overlook beautiful Lake Chickamauga in SE Tennessee. No worry about firearms loss as a variety of weapons from .17MHR to .416Rigby will be supplied to the happy client. Hunters will be supplied copious quantities of their favorite adult beverage while taking rest and aim from my back deck of a variety of game from ferocious attack chipmonks to agreesive gray squirrels and the more passive sleeping on a log fresh water turtles----all this for only $20,000 US for five days with no other hunters in camp.

Posts: 696 | Location: Soddy Daisy, TN USA | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Please move this to Outfitters-Offered and Discount Hunts forum Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by Tom In Tennessee:
As exclusive owner to hunting rights, I , the owner/operator, booking agent , outfitter, PH, guide, tracker and skinner offer specialty hunts from wonderful accomodations! Physical shape of client is of no concern. Hunts overlook beautiful Lake Chickamauga in SE Tennessee. No worry about firearms loss as a variety of weapons from .17MHR to .416Rigby will be supplied to the happy client. Hunters will be supplied copious quantities of their favorite adult beverage while taking rest and aim from my back deck of a variety of game from ferocious attack chipmonks to agreesive gray squirrels and the more passive sleeping on a log fresh water turtles----all this for only $20,000 US for five days with no other hunters in camp.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7694 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Herald:
Reading this on My phone, a bit hard, but Cundiff is known as a rip off artist here in KY as an outfitter bif you talk to him, he is arrogant and knows more than everyone. One of our regular AR PH's was supposed to run that camp in Moz, got there, saw there was no game, and he quit. Sorry for the guys that booked, I am sure he laid out a super line of B.S. He bragged to me at 2010 DSC how he was partners with a corrupt Moz General. What a piece of crap! I hope the courts hammer him...

Tim,

It may not be easy to state your opinion when you make your living as outdoor communicator, but we need more of it. I wish others would follow suit.

On the American Hunting forum I posted an "atta boy" for Mike Schoby's editorial in the current issue of Petersen's HUNTING. No doubt Best of the West won't be buying any advertising in the mag, but at least Mike takes a position that is in the best interest of our sport.

Thanks.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I think this is a Louisville problem.

When I was younger, I came upon a brand new Louisville Slugger with Willie Mays' name on it.

Hard as I swung it, and I swung it many times and very hard, the damned thing didn't have even a single home run anywhere in it.

I think it was the factory test fire dummy and the testers had used up all of the hits in it. Certainly all of the extra base hits.

Unfortunately, the statute of repose prevents me from suing Hillerich & Bradsby, or I would be dragging their asses into court.

False advertising, plain and simple.

Imagine the nerve.

Putting Willie's name on such a bad bat.

There oughta be a law.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13625 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
I think this is a Louisville problem.

When I was younger, I came upon a brand new Louisville Slugger with Willie Mays' name on it.

Hard as I swung it, and I swung it many times and very hard, the damned thing didn't have even a single home run anywhere in it.

I think it was the factory test fire dummy and the testers had used up all of the hits in it. Certainly all of the extra base hits.

Unfortunately, the statute of repose prevents me from suing Hillerich & Bradsby, or I would be dragging their asses into court.

False advertising, plain and simple.

Imagine the nerve.

Putting Willie's name on such a bad bat.

There oughta be a law.

A bad worker always blames his tools! dancing Big Grin

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
these guys made a big donation at SCI's convention both this year and last year for Moz hunts. as of Dec. 2010 their donation was still listed in the auction catalog for the 2011 show- well after the company was defunct. last year i called them before the convention with questions about their donation. answers weren't very forth-coming.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13399 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
AAW,

I don't like to get into a lot of controversy if I can help it, but these guys were so over the line, there is no gray area. They are bad for hunting, and worst of all, they are from my home state.

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2981 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nearly every time I get a call from a guy that got ripped off, once you peel the layers off you find the client had some fault which is in every case not doing his homework. No doubt that the "operator \ agents" were bozo's, but a lion\buff for $28K ? Give me a break. You get what you pay for has a new poster child ! Plenty of blame to keep both sides of this sorry affair busy.

That pretty well covers it in my book. When people let a bargain basement price cloud their thought processes, and stop doing all the research they need to when booking a hunt, they end up getting whjat they paid for way too often. JMO.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So I shud stop looking for that 75lb Ele hunt for 18 days at only $10,000 all inclusive???

Posts: 696 | Location: Soddy Daisy, TN USA | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of almostacowboy
posted Hide Post
Tom in TN:
Retiring out there end of year. Will give you $50K for your concession if you throw in house, barn, and 5AC. Big Grin
Dave

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value."
-Thomas Paine, "American Crisis"

Posts: 816 | Location: Llano, CA Mojave Desert | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, you crack me up.

Posts: 10328 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Neil-PH
posted Hide Post
I was contracted to these monkeys for 6 months during the season last year - what a friggin nightmare. They deserve every bit of bad publicity and every law suit under the sun.

They never repatriated any funds to the Mozambique authorities and never secured any legal hunting licences o behalf of any client who had already paid.

I brought all of their shortfalls to their attention before the season started, but it fell on deaf ears - I have copies of all the emails I sent them. They withdrew funding before the first client arrived, so development was stopped. My personal opinion is that they had NO intention of ever developing the area into a prime commercial hunting area, they were neither enthusiastic nor motivated. Terry Cundiff is an old man who swallows 15 or so tablets a day to survive, so to me, any long term commitment the area so deserves was never to happen.

Clients were BS'ed about buffalo numbers, in fact the first client of the year was told we had seen a 46 inch buffalo just before his arrival - yeah right....the area has NO buffalo.....so much of this crap was told to clients that when I collected them from the airport I would tell them exactly what the area was about, and gave them a choice to turn around, seek legal redress immediately or come to the area and salvage what we could.

I have over 20 years invested in the industry and pride myself on honesty and integrity, hunt ethically and have high morals. I should have got out from my contract as soon as I smelt a rat, but it was difficult to secure a season at that late stage.

I trust anyone who has any contact with these characters thinks long and hard about it, and consider no further association with them. The wheel turns !!

Posts: 536 | Location: The Plains of Africa | Registered: 07 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was contracted to these monkeys for 6 months during the season last year - what a friggin nightmare. They deserve every bit of bad publicity and every law suit under the sun.

They never repatriated any funds to the Mozambique authorities and never secured any legal hunting licences o behalf of any client who had already paid.

I brought all of their shortfalls to their attention before the season started, but it fell on deaf ears - I have copies of all the emails I sent them. They withdrew funding before the first client arrived, so development was stopped. My personal opinion is that they had NO intention of ever developing the area into a prime commercial hunting area, they were neither enthusiastic nor motivated. Terry Cundiff is an old man who swallows 15 or so tablets a day to survive, so to me, any long term commitment the area so deserves was never to happen.

Clients were BS'ed about buffalo numbers, in fact the first client of the year was told we had seen a 46 inch buffalo just before his arrival - yeah right....the area has NO buffalo.....so much of this crap was told to clients that when I collected them from the airport I would tell them exactly what the area was about, and gave them a choice to turn around, seek legal redress immediately or come to the area and salvage what we could.

I have over 20 years invested in the industry and pride myself on honesty and integrity, hunt ethically and have high morals. I should have got out from my contract as soon as I smelt a rat, but it was difficult to secure a season at that late stage.

I trust anyone who has any contact with these characters thinks long and hard about it, and consider no further association with them. The wheel turns !!

Sunny Beach! shocker

Posts: 2826 | Location: Houston | Registered: 01 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote