Find
Notify
Tools

Model 70 375HH bore guide?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Jeff Alexander
posted
I bought a Stoney Point bore guide for my 375 Winchester, and it slid in real nice and smooth, but the damn thing won't come out. It has a delrin (plastic or something) nose on it that goes into the chamber. It is an RCH too big to pull back out, due to the fact there is a springy thing on the bottom of the back of the action that it catches on. I can unscrew it and take it out, but what a pain to have to do that every time. Suggestions? Jeff

Posts: 1002 | Location: Dixieland | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If this is a model 70 the guide is probably snagging on the ejector.

Do not force the issue as you may damage the ejector and/or bore guide.

Depress the ejector with a small tool while retrieving the guide. This takes a bit of dexterity at first but you will get the hang of it.

I use the O-ring style guides made by Dewey. The Winchester ejector will eat the o-rings up like candy if I'm not careful.

Good luck.

~Holmes

Posts: 1171 | Location: Wyoming, USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Rusty>
posted
The plastic nose on my bore guide unscrews, so I just unscrew it and the guide slides right out.

<allen day>
posted
Unfortunately, the Stoney Point guide was not designed with fixed ejectors in mind.

The one I use that works to perfection for the Model 70 or Mauser 98 is made by Sinclair International. It doesn't have any sort of flanged collar of any other appendage to hang up on the ejector, plus it's a very rugged unit that'll last for years.

AD

Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Jeff,

Glad to see I not the only one that has this problem with the Stoney Point bore guide on my M70's.

regards,

Terry

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
<JHook>
posted
No this is a common thing with M-70 and Stoney Points. Loosen the head of the stoney and from there you can easily unscrew to remove it.

Whatever you do dont put the thing in and then try and force it to unscrew with a pliers. The plastic head will break. Midway sells bore guides that dont engage the bolt catch, maybe you'll like that one better.........J

one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Like Allen, I use Sinclair's rod guides on all of my rifles along with the solvent port. Here is a link to Sinclair: Sinclair

Good Hunting,

Bob C.

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I too ran into this problem. So now I just keep a popsicle/craft stick of the type I use to mix epoxy in my cleaning kit. Slide it in and depress the ejector and then slide the stick and the bore guide out together. Takes all of 2 seconds. It was a pain to find it didn't come out easily without the stick trick, but it's an easy workaround. Otherwise I really like the versatility of the Stoney Point.

Posts: 306 | Location: Originally from Texas | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A stoney point is easy to remove from a M70. Loosen the collar that goes into the rear receiver ridge. Pull the rod guide out until the front collar is up next to the rear collar. With both touching, slide the whole thing out. Presto, no problemo!

BTW, I do use this on a Model 70 .375 H&H, so it is not conjecture. The rear collar holds the ejector blade down and if the front collar is touching the rear collar, the ejector stays down and allows both to be removed.

Posts: 1027 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
Jim is absolutely right. That is a slick little trick to get them to slide out effortlessly. I stumbled on to it by accident.

Posts: 3512 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
save yourself the hassle & buy the one from Midway. It is a solid, smooth plastic w/ an 'o' ring to center. I have one for my M70 .280 that works great.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
<JohnT>
posted
Jim in Idaho, is absolutely right. My Bore Tech Guide snags as well but slides out easy once you figure out that you should slide the collar forward & draw back the guide till the conical sleeve buts up with the collar. Then it just slides out. No problems at all.

BTW this applies to M70 in general not just the .375H&H ones.

JohnT

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep, it works. Better than the flat spot I filed in the front cone part (Delrin is such a pleasure to file on). I think the rear collar is pushing the ejector down into the receiver, getting it out of the way of the front cone thing. The ejector on my M70 is spring-loaded. It moves up and down, but not fare and aft.

H. C.

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote