THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Hunting in South Africa in Februaryy?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hunting in South Africa in Februaryy?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I February a good or bad time to go?

Posts: 344 | Location: Elkin North Carolina USA | Registered: 12 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Depends where in SA - but generally, most of the country will be be very hot and possibly/probably wet for much of the time.........

one of us
posted Hide Post
Technically, hunting in Africa is open year around in most places but very little is done from now through early next year due to heat and/or rains as Steve said. In the remote places, transportation becomes a real problem due to water and mud.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
The "Hunting Season" is NOT open year round in South Africa. Some "high fenced farms" have exemption from the "normal" hunting regulations, and you can legally hunt on these year round. as yukon delta said, "technically" you can hunt year round.

February ranges from hot, to very friggin hot, but probably not as hot as in the real tropics. So hunting technique and time of the day, has to be adapted during these very hot months. But trophy hunting is entirely possible and legal.

So, if your boss sends you to South Africa at that time of the year, do not dispair! It is certainly not considered as the 'best' month, but hunting is possible!

In good hunting.

Andrew McLaren.

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We hunt "one hour from Cape Town" right through the year. In February you wont find a drop of rain, but you got to be heat-proof... Sorry, our website is entirly in German because we mainly accomodate clients from Germany, Austria and Switzerland but of course hunters from all nations are welcome dancing

PH Klaus Schindler

www.kapstadt.de/schindlers-africa

Posts: 640 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi,
My first hunt stay in SA spanned the middle of Febr to the end of April and I had great weather -hot at times but not that much rain. I stayed up around Pietersburg and Kruger.

I hear I was lucky in not getting to much rain.

http://www.tgsafari.co.za

"What doesn´t kill you makes you stranger!"

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
cewe,

Two and a half months on safari! In South Africa we would say: "What a boykie!"

Care to "translate" your signature?

In good hunting.

Andrew McLaren

Andrew McLaren
Professional Hunter and Hunting Outfitter since 1974.

http://www.mclarensafaris.com The home page to go to for custom planning of ethical and affordable hunting of plains game in South Africa!
Enquire about any South African hunting directly from andrew@mclarensafaris.com

After a few years of participation on forums, I have learned that:

One can cure:

Lack of knowledge – by instruction. Lack of skills – by practice. Lack of experience – by time doing it.

One cannot cure:

Stupidity – nothing helps! Anti hunting sentiments – nothing helps! Put-‘n-Take Outfitters – money rules!

My very long ago ancestors needed and loved to eat meat. Today I still hunt!

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andrew: Sometimes one gets lucky... I didn´t hunt for the whole time and I spent a lot of time just hanging around and getting to know some of the ropes when PH:ing. I also got to go gamecatching for a week neer Kruger and that was a ball!

My signature (which is in Swedish) roughly translates into: I´d rather be healthy and rich than sick and poor.

It sometimes pisses people off -I wonder why?

http://www.tgsafari.co.za

"What doesn´t kill you makes you stranger!"

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ChrisTroskie
posted Hide Post
Not the best time of the year to hunt SA - foilage is thick, bush is green, hot weather, possibility of rain etc... But then again any day out hunting is better than sitting in an office...

I hunted with AR member 404WJJeffrey in January last year and we had quite a bit of success as his reports at Excellent Hunt in SA with Chris Troskie and 2nd Hunt with Chris Troskie will hopefully prove. We took 8 animals over 10 days of hunting - not bad given the time of year...

Regards,

Chris Troskie
Tel. +27 82 859-0771
email. chris@ct-safaris.com
Sabrisa Ranch Ellisras RSA
www.ct-safaris.com
https://youtu.be/4usXceRdkH4

Posts: 851 | Location: Sabrisa Ranch Limpopo Province - South Africa | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some problems to deal with is the skins are almost as hairless as a Chihuahua dog in the lower reaches and even in the mountains hair quality suffers..So trophy quality suffers.

Its very hot and tough hunting. I prefer late march and April, May/June being my favorite time of year

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41926 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote