THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Mammoth, Mastodon tusk. (PICS added)

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mammoth, Mastodon tusk. (PICS added)
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TJ
posted
This may be in the wrong place, but I'll post it any way. It's sorta kinda about elephant tusks so I think it fits.
I saw a tusk today from a Mammoth or Mastodon. I think its a Mammoth. Its 76" long, and the tip is broken off. The base is about 6" diameter. The broken tip is about 4" diameter. It's a mellow brown color with severe cracks in the base. I didn't weight it, so don't know what it weights.
I have pics which I will post tomorrow.
Thanks.
It was found in Alaska.
Do we have any experts here who knows anything about Mammoths or Mastodons?

Posts: 948 | Location: Kenai, Ak. USA | Registered: 05 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
By no means an expert but I spent a couple of hours with one in Anchorage a couple of years ago. The amazing thing was you can bend over and take a deep whiff of a mammoth tusk and still smell decay 10,000 years later. Kind of wierd. I bet you get some feedback if you post this on the Alaska forum.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Don In Colorado
posted Hide Post
Hi Tj,

At the annual Rock, Gem, and Fossil Collectors convention in Denver there are many Mastodon and Mammoth tusk dealers. Some tusks were up to 10 feet long as I recall, although comparatively thin to elephant tusks. In other cases tusks from immature creatures had been found that weighed only a few pounds. Seemingly established prices were set for a given mass of tusk.

You could purchase individual tusks or get sawn sections to use in preparing knife handles and for other decorative uses.

Best of all he loved the Fall....

E. Hemingway

Posts: 198 | Location: Brighton, Michigan | Registered: 22 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I made a knife handle out of it a couple years ago, beautiful stuff. Not all of the small tusks are from immature animals. I read somewhere that as the climate changed, mammoths survived on islands near Alaska by evolving into much smaller animals, i.e. dwarfs. They think they may have only finally died out there less than a 1000 years ago.

Posts: 421 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 15 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
Pics added. I like the color. The clamps are to keep it from splitting from the ends.

Posts: 948 | Location: Kenai, Ak. USA | Registered: 05 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
My best friends father-in-law has several of these and other pre-historic treasure... he mines gold near Livengood alaska and has stories abound of this stuff. The real big/well preserved ones, the universiy excavates others he was able to get. Neat stuff, and beautifully different than elephant or othe rtypes of ivory.=BAXter

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I too have a custom knife with the handle made of mammoth ivory. Mine is a bluish color and is very rare due to the coloration that occurs from the minerals in the soil. There is a lot of information on the internet about mammoth tusks and ivory, and mastodon tusks and ivory (which I am told were different relatives of the modern elephant). Very interesting, especially for us modern day elephant hunters.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mammoth ivory is legal to import. I have a friend who makes parts for guitars. He imports turned mammoth ivory pins from Russia. A box about the size of a shoe box costs about $10,000.00.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cunningham
posted Hide Post
When I was a child my father had some land in the next county over where they got gravel and such. A few times I remember the workers would uncover a tusk or pieces there and they would just keep going on with there work without anyone trying to collect it. There was to much red tape with people wanting to close down the area and excavate. It was neat to see stuff like this.

Global Sportsmen Outfitters, LLC
Bob Cunningham
404-802-2500

Posts: 580 | Location: I am neither for you or against you. I am completely the opposite. | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote