Find
Notify
Tools

The 78 Day Wait!
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted

Ladies and Gentlemen,

We have 78 days left before we get to Tanzania for our hunt of this year.

I have been using the same brass for our two rifles for so many years now, some have started to crack at the neck or shoulder.

So I thought I will splash out and use brand new brass for this year.

As you can see, we load them as in the photo above, and use them for our first hunt to get fireformed brass for next year.

I found that I have to use 2 more grains of powder to get the same velocity as fireformed brass in these. Velocity with 90 grains of H4350 for the 3 shots fired at this target was 2808fps.

Perfect velocity for our Walterhog bullet and buffalo.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67049 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed, I'm counting vicariously through you for the next couple of years. Best iof luck, I am looking forward to the reports!

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
2nd pic, 2 bullets on the left have different cartridges (neck is different).............

what caliber is each?

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3034 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted Hide Post
Second pic. The two bullets on the left. The left one with the step in the neck is raw brass with the neck sized for the bullet they are using. The one next to it is one that has been blown out by fire forming. The three cases on the right have been fire formed and are ready for loading.

Elephant Hunter,
Double Rifle Shooter Society,
NRA Lifetime Member,
Ten Safaris, in RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe

Posts: 955 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm sure this has been covered, but what is the coating being used on the bullets?

"There always seems to be a big market for making the clear, complex."

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
I have been using the same brass for our two rifles for so many years now, some have started to crack at the neck or shoulder.

Saeed, have you tried annealing the necks and shoulders after every four or five loadings? It's easy to do and prevents cracking and splitting from work hardening.

BTW, great shooting, as usual.

My son and I have been shooting our .375s (and I my .500) in preparation for our upcoming trip.

There's nothing like bullets in the black to build confidence!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13403 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of robncolorado
posted Hide Post
Saeed- I'm an even 60 days out myself. Seems to take forever to get to the day you leave, but the day you must come home seems to arrive far quicker. I wonder if Einstien was a safari hunter and tested his theory of relativity on safari time?

Thanks for the great forum.

Posts: 558 | Location: Durango, CO | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Saeed: And, what is Walter doing to get ready?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am 97 days out, going on a short plains game hunt and I am all ready bouncing off the walls.

Good Hunting,

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Dang, what a group!

Ah yes, the pre-safari preperation is fun.

Loading rounds, thinking, "This may be the bullet that I shoot the [Lion/Buffalo/Elephant/Kudu/Leopard] with.

And then, the "pile" develops. It is small at first. Maybe just a flashlight and the gaiters. But as the days roll on, the pile grows. Every time you find something or think of something, it gets put in the pile.

I set up a table in the bedroom for "the pile". It usually goes up 20-30 days before the hunt.

Posts: 6255 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Very nice clover-leaf! One can't blame the rifle if they miss with those loads, eh?

Smiler Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
Saeed: And, what is Walter doing to get ready?

Yes, what is Walter scheming?

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Isn't Walter supposed to be answering questions, in his forum?

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted Hide Post
quote:
And then, the "pile" develops. It is small at first. Maybe just a flashlight and the gaiters. But as the days roll on, the pile grows. Every time you find something or think of something, it gets put in the pile.

wendel you are right i always promise that i will take just one bag and i end up paying overweight on two almost always stuff for my trackers family etc ...what they would do with a day in wal-mart.

good luck saeed in both your reparation and the hunt itself .

"The greatest threat to our wildlife is the thought that someone else will save it”

www.facebook.com/ivancartersafrica

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

Posts: 1201 | Location: South Africa  | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Great looking group Saeed. I've have great luck with my 416 Rigby brass as well. Do you have to do much trimming? jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

Walter is in a bit of "I-don't-know-what-the-hell-I-am-doing" period right now.

He was here yesterday, when Alan Vincent called from Tanzania. Walter had a list of things Alan has to provide for "us" at the camp.

The most important one is a sort of varmint rig for African safari. He wants to ride on one of these, with a rifle rest on a swivel, and shoot from it. Alan just laughed at him and said "why are you the only one who misses so much?"

Walter "You are just being nasty like your father and Saeed! I have proven it last year, and have gotten named ONE SHOT WALTER! My average is much better than your friend here. Who keeps shooting dead buffalos!"

He was helping himself to all sorts of snacks, as I was priming my cases.

"I am waiting for one of these things to go BANG while you are doing it"
"Walter, how many times have I told you, primers do NOT go BANG as you put them in the cases"

"I did make one go bang. You remember, and that scared even you. Ha ha ha, that was very funny, but scary"

"Well, you do have that sort of talent, and I am glad no one can compete with you"

"Come on, hurry up. When you finish them I will pout powder in them. May be I will put a little bit less in the ones I will shoot. Your gun kicks very hard"

"Sit down and eat. Do you think I am mad enough to let you chrage my cases with powder? It will take you about a year to get them all done"

"Ok, ok, you put the powder in them. I will seat the bullets then"
"Nope! You are not doing anything to the ammo I am going to shoot."

"You are not very nice. I m trying to help you. And I want to say proudly that I loaded the ammo for our hunt"

"Are you through with eating? Do you want to do something usefull for a change?"

"Yes, yes, what can I do. I need a break from these mangoe. They are so sweet I cannot stop eating them"

"You can shoot these and see how they work"
"No no no. I am not shooting that gun from the bench. Bloody hell, it kicks so much. You shoot it. You need the practice. You never hit the bullseye"

"Fine, you can carry on being a wimp! I will shoot them"

He watched as I fired the three shots.

"Bloody hell! I am so proud I helped you make that rifle. When you miss don't blame the rifle"
"You neve helped me build it. In fact, you were your usual distracting self if I remember rightly"

"You see, you admit I helped you. I provided the entertainment"

The coating is spray on molly from Outer's. We use it because we have found that it cuts down on barrel fowling.

Posts: 67049 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post

Walter decide that our normal ammo boxes needed sprucing up.

So he printed the above labels for them.
He is so proud of his creation, one gets the impression as if he has just discovered something to surpass Einstein's theory of relativity!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Saeed, you certainly have a better sense of humor than I do. If I had a "helper" like that I would run him out of the shop and halfway home. Then lock the door so he couldn't sneak back in. Big Grin

Never tried the spray-on moly stuff. The tumble on stuff is nasty!

"There always seems to be a big market for making the clear, complex."

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Walter needs to shoot a big Croc for appetisers and camp meat. His Varmint set up should work nicely for this.
Cheers,
David

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6804 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Saeed: You're smart not to let Walter touch any of the ammo. Who knows, he just might load the ammo with sugar instead of powder! rotflmo