New
Find
Notify
Tools

More on Cecil & SCI
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

Posts: 12105 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Reynard Loki is AlterNet's environment and food editor.

And another dreary anti hunter pushing the Cecil button.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9983 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
And Mr. Whale Wars himself. The Japanese should have had him locked him away for life. What a pathetic individual.

One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
After reading that, if I were not already a member, I'd immediately join SCI.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I asked some of the SCI leaders at the convention about forming a coalition to fight the antis (NRA, SCI, DSC, NSSF, RMEF, Ovis, etc etc.) and was told that the hang up was with DSC. Hard to believe that. If we don't form a coalition now, pool our resources, money and efforts, we will find ourselves further behind the 8 ball. The SCI effort that the antis have started is not going away. They will be back next year. Their goal is to stop all business between the MGM Resorts Group and SCI. One of the NRA lawyers attended the SCI Wildlife law seminar, and they are partnering with SCI in Washington, but that is not going to be enough in my opinion.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I asked some of the SCI leaders at the convention about forming a coalition to fight the antis (NRA, SCI, DSC, NSSF, RMEF, Ovis, etc etc.) and was told that the hang up was with DSC

Hang up with DSC? Would someone like to explain the bad blood between the two?

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
The Dallas Safari Club until the early 1980s was an SCI chapter when the SCI board of directors voted to have chapters send 30% of the profits from their annual fundraisers to SCI headquarters.

The dissident chapter leaders who voted against the proposal were angry with the club's founder, C.J. McElroy, for various imagined and real reasons and 13 chapters disassociated themselves from SCI. All but two of those chapters -- Dallas and Houston -- eventually returned to the fold.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billrquimby:
The Dallas Safari Club until the early 1980s was an SCI chapter when the SCI board of directors voted to have chapters send 30% of the profits from their annual fundraisers to SCI headquarters.

The dissidents were angry with the club's founder, C.J. McElroy, for various imagined and real reasons and 13 chapters disassociated themselves from SCI. All but two of those chapters -- Dallas and Houston -- eventually returned to the fold.

Bill Quimby

Thank you..I knew they shared a common past but didn't know what broke them apart.

It would seem to me that those people in charge on both sides at the time would all be long gone...so why the current bad blood?

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
Someone else will have to explain that. You are correct that most of those involved on both sides of the breakup have died (including McElroy) or gone on to other things.

However, some still are around and have some influence at SCI. I don't know about DSC.

At the risk of being called an SCI cheerleader, it seems to me that the funds for many of the things the two clubs do could be better spent if there were not duplication of effort.

Bill Quimby

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
At the risk of being called an SCI cheerleader, it seems to me that the funds for many of the things the two clubs do could be better spent if there were not duplication of effort.

No matter which "side" you're on I hope we could all agree with that. But I wont hold my breath Big Grin

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Heym 450/400:
quote:
I asked some of the SCI leaders at the convention about forming a coalition to fight the antis (NRA, SCI, DSC, NSSF, RMEF, Ovis, etc etc.) and was told that the hang up was with DSC

May be no trusts SCI anymore??

They have been following their agenda for so long they cannot see the light of day!!

Drastic changes need to be made before they can get anyone to trust them!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68788 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed - Seems the same could be said about DSC. Until someone comes along and bridges the gap and animosity, things will continue to stay the same. Just human nature I suppose? One only needs to observe what happens here on AR about the subject to see a perfect example.

Larry Sellers

quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:
quote:

They have been following their agenda for so long they cannot see the light of day!!

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the interim, the in-fighting between the groups goes on and we all lose to the antis. It's sad what pride will do to people and organizations at the expense of their membership and purpose. I was told to my face that SCI had tried, but that D.S.C. did not wish to work together with SCI. What a waste of an opportunity for all of us. And yes, there were two of us that heard that statement from the lips of the SCI leader.

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
I asked some of the SCI leaders at the convention about forming a coalition to fight the antis (NRA, SCI, DSC, NSSF, RMEF, Ovis, etc etc.) and was told that the hang up was with DSC.

Interesting. Sounds a lot like SCI being the hang up on the "definition of the huntable male lion" and later actions by USF&W.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
why not form a coalition without DSC?

all it takes is two groups to step up to the plate working together and the other groups can decide to join in or stay separate.

will the media listen to one group that steps ups and says "yes lion numbers may be down continent wide but they are up in the hunting communities", probably not. But if you get the resources of a few of these organizations to work together and really educate the masses some people may realize hunters are no worse than any other group, there will always be a bad egg but that isn't a representation of the whole system

Posts: 178 | Location: upstate NY | Registered: 14 July 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agreed, but someone with some clout needs to step up and get the ball rolling and get it organized. Perhaps someone of the likes of Steve Hornady, Larry Potterfield, etc., who is neutral and can pull the groups together.

One of Us
Picture of Clan_Colla
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Sellers:
Saeed - Seems the same could be said about DSC. Until someone comes along and bridges the gap and animosity, things will continue to stay the same. Just human nature I suppose? One only needs to observe what happens here on AR about the subject to see a perfect example.

Larry Sellers

quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:
quote:

perhaps it is time to resurrect -

GAME CONSERVATION INTERNATIONAL--

or at least the name-

as a bridge between HSC, DSC and SCI-

is Harry still with us- anyone know?

Posts: 633 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A recent post by Zimbabwe Conservation Task Force: "Update on Cecil's Statue
13th November 2015
We would like to inform everyone that the work on the statue of Cecil has not begun as we have only raised approximately $1000 towards it. As you are aware we needed around $30 000. At the time a couple of people had offered the entire amount in one go but after we approached them, the offer fell through. For this reason unless we can raise the funds we cannot go ahead with the statue. If you did donate towards the statue and would like a refund please inbox me so I can send your funds back. We are hoping in time we will be able to raise the funds but for now this project is on hold." The ghost of Cecil will haunt us for a long while. But just think if that (imaginary) $30k could be channeled into rewards for informers in trafficking cases.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Barry,
you have been around long enough to know that the statue would have cost but a fraction of the $30k requested.... Cool

I guess ZCTF will need to cancel their planned holiday now Wink

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote