THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Checking guns to final destination???

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Checking guns to final destination???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Am flying to harare in august from california. With an overnight in joberg do I pick up my guns and recheck or check through to harare. Last time I had to recheck in atlanta and joberg but this was pre 911.

Posts: 294 | Location: carmichael,califoenia,usa | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of KINO
posted Hide Post
I would re-check in Jo-Burg, but you need to find out exactly what forms are needed now. At the risk of starting a heated discussion I would recomend Air 2000. Their web page is www.hunterssuport.com.

Posts: 470 | Location: SYRACUSE, UT, USA | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Mamba,

My Ph is meeting me in Joburg...I am staying overnight and will pick up my rifles and stay at the Aftonhouse and recheck them in for flight to Zim...following day...

Will be at the Aftonhouse on or about Aug 19 thru 24..Will you be stopping back in transit home...

Mike

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You have to recheck if you are staying overnight...which means going through the whole firearms "thing" in Joburg. That doesn't make sense unless you are planning to hunt SA on the way out.

I would change my schedule if possible to avoid the overnight, just keep going all the way to Harare.

Fill out the 10 page SAPS form 520 BEFORE you get there, it might help speed things along. And have your customs 4457 and your PH's booking confirmation handy. You can download a copy of this new SAPS form from our website, follow the links bigfivehq.com, then "SAFARIS", then "TIPS AND TRAVEL ADVICE". You can also get the Zim form there and have that filled before you arrive (only 1 page).

Posts: 2927 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Retreever, We are flying back to usa on the 23rd but no layover in joberg. Mabe we will see you on the next trip. Have a great hunt .

Posts: 294 | Location: carmichael,califoenia,usa | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
All this is good advice.

Speaking only from my limited experience in entering Zimbabwe at Bulawayo last month, the gun import info was required in triplicate. It would do you well to make copies and have them ready, just in case! Maybe even have a couple of extra to show at road blocks, etc.

www.aftonguesthouse.com does a great job with their "meet and greet" service. I'd hire them even if I wasn't staying there... and have, come to think of it . It makes you feel pretty darn smart to have someone meet you before you even get off the walkway off of the aircraft and into the terminal. I've even been met by the Afton House service before we got on the bus when we were in smaller aircraft and weren't "docked" at the main terminal. Richard (I think that's the name of the fellow who does the service) even got our guns and baggage off of the aircraft and brought it right into the customs area before the trams began to unload. We weren't in the airport for ten minutes either time, this year. Last year they were slow.... about 15 minutes. Can't be 'em.

I can't speak for the other services, they may be as good, and if so, more power to them.

Posts: 7544 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mamba & Retreever,

Looks like we (N'gagi and myself) will miss both of you by just a bit.

Flying in to Joburg on Friday, August 13th (lucky, lucky) and staying overnight at the Afton Guest House. Getting up the next morning and catching the 10:35 AM flight to Harare.

We will be flying out of Harare on August 22nd, back to Joburg.

Bummer that we will miss you both, I was going to convince N'gagi to buy the drinks

Have a great hunt!

Tim

Posts: 1430 | Location: California | Registered: 21 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
I think the (good news messages) about Afton Guest House are spreading rapidly ...

I have a personal client booking whom will be staying there [Tues August 17] following the SAA flight from Atlanta into Jo-burg that morning ...

Are there any other hunters on that SAA flight 212 out from Atlanta on August 16

Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N'gagi
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Mamba & Retreever,

Looks like we (N'gagi and myself) will miss both of you by just a bit.
Bummer that we will miss you both, I was going to convince N'gagi to buy the drinks

Have a great hunt!

Tim

I was about to suggest we all go out to dinner and Shumba buys! I figure that $40 round of drinks= one baboon!

Counting the days ol' buddy. Gotta go see the customs folks pretty quick! What do people in rural areas do?

Posts: 1123 | Location: California | Registered: 03 January 2002Reply With Quote